Not really missing alcohol

21 posts in this topic

I have hardly had a drop of alcohol in many months and I am happy to say that I do not really miss it. I live by myself and so drinking alone does not seem a wise thing to do. Drinking is a social activity , to be shared with others down the pub. I mention this as pubs here in the UK are now slowly reopening  , but only if they have a decent outside area. I can see myself going to such an area when the weather is good. What should I order? 

Soft drinks do not do it for me. They are expensive and come in small measures. I really want a large glass of something in front of me. The only thing I can think of is non alcoholic beer. Are there any alternatives?

have you actually seen how many fights /Deaths are caused by Alcohol?    In what way is this Social?

Couldnt you have posted about how hard it is to get the back of your remote to change the Batteries?  :lol::lol:

30 minutes ago, colincostello said:

Are there any alternatives?

Germany is the country of mixed drinks: Spezi, Karamalz, Schwip-Schwap, Mezzo mix, etc. They really go crazy here on this Schorle or spritzer thingie. For example, wine spritzer, but also stuff like rhubarb spritzer (no kidding), currant spritzer, raspberry, maracuja, you name it. Beer with cola. Abartig.

Am I right in guessing that anything not on tap would be served in a small measure?

I was going to recommend Ginger Beer (at least it's still got the right word in it). Otherwise, if it was a warm day, I'd go for a large glass of sparkling water with lots of ice.

Those drinks that LukeSkywalker suggested make me thirsty just reading them, but I figure you're sitting outside an English pub and so perhaps the options are a bit limited...

My wife used to drink a lot of Club Mate, which always gave her an alcohol-free buzz.

13 minutes ago, bauman said:

Those drinks that LukeSkywalker suggested make me thirsty just reading them, ...

Really? OK, I checked your profile: Australian...not your fault 🤗.

I just order Weißbier or Weißbier, on a rare occassion Helles.

56 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

have you actually seen how many fights /Deaths are caused by Alcohol?    In what way is this Social?

Couldnt you have posted about how hard it is to get the back of your remote to change the Batteries?  :lol::lol:

I am fully aware of the hugh cost of alcohol to society. In England we have this thing called binge drinking , where mainly young people go out to get blind drunk. aided by ridiculously low prices. When I see this , I am tempted to give up alcohol all together and this enfoced abstinence has merely  made it easier

Enforced abstinance?     what the hell are you smoking?

When I was in England last year I saw commercials on alcohol free G&T. Don't know if that has made it to the pubs, though - and you would probably have to buy at least two cans to fill a pint. ;)

5 hours ago, LukeSkywalker said:

but also stuff like rhubarb spritzer (no kidding),

Rhubarbsaft (eg from Albi) with mineral water (fizzy) is very refreshing!

Not to into pop and other sugary slops, alcohol free beer tastes generally weird, (there are some Ausnahmen though) What I do like are the alcohol free mix beers, Weizen with grapefruit or lemon or orange etc. they are nice and refreshing and you don´t have a bad conscious when you crack another one open.

I have missed alcohol, I bought a small bottle fridge for the working room. 

I also don't like drinking alone.. that's why I made sure to marry a proper woman and not some abstinence freak. We were actually both a bit drunk already when we first met  :P

On 4/15/2021, 1:07:33, SpiderPig said:

Enforced abstinance?     what the hell are you smoking?

It´s working in Saudi Arabia. So why not give it a try?

7 minutes ago, jeba said:

It´s working in Saudi Arabia. So why not give it a try?

And even there you can get locally brewed beer. Actually won some awards.

Recently the English pubs have begun serving alcohol indoors. Before this , they could only serve outdoors.  Am I tempted to go in and have a beer? After many months of abstinence? No. I have got out of the habit of drinking and I see no reason to return. Maybe when I eventually get back to Berlin.

The cast iron test for me will be when I return to Berlin. Imagine a warm summers evening in a lovely beergarden. How could I not order a Kristallen with its lovely colour....

5 minutes ago, colincostello said:

The cast iron test for me will be when I return to Berlin. Imagine a warm summers evening in a lovely beergarden. How could I not order a Kristallen with its lovely colour...

There are some really good alcohol free ones.  But why not enjoy a real one.  Life is short.