Accepting a freelance job in Germany/ the EU from overseas.

10 posts in this topic

Hi there,

I am a German national (naturalized) thinking about leaving Europe. So, I'm wondering:

1. if I move permanently outside Europe, later on I'm free to take any freelance job offer while abroad to come work in Germany temporarily (3+ months) on a project basis, correct?

2. If yes to 1., does this also apply to any other European countries in which, as a German national, I do not need any work visa / permit?

3. How is it with taxes? Do I simply pay them the regular way on the European country I'm staying in for as long as I work there? Is that it? Or does it get any more complicated? - It is never too simple with taxes, is it? :-)

4. Are there any restrictions with respect to how often I can come work temporarily in Germany / Europe this way? For example, can I do two non-consecutive 3-month contracts with a calendar year?

5. I guess it would also be possible to do freelancing remotely (from outside Europe). How is it with taxes in this case? Is this allowed from a taxes perspective?

Many thanks in advance for any feedback you guys can provide on this!

Best regards and stay healthy! 

1. Yes if you keep your German citizenship 

2. Yes

3. Depends upon how frequent you change your resident country in an year. 

4. No, being German citizen, you are free to come and go anytime and pursue any legal economic activities 

5. For freelancing outside EU, you pay the tax at the country you stay. 

Hi @vivanco,

Thank you so much for your reply!

A couple of doubts/questions:

2 hours ago, vivanco said:

3. Depends upon how frequent you change your resident country in an year. 

By "resident country" you mean the country in which I permanently live outside Europe, correct? - Or do you mean the country in which I work/stay temporarily in Germany / Europe?

2 hours ago, vivanco said:

5. For freelancing outside EU, you pay the tax at the country you stay. 

By "country you stay" do you mean the country in Europe in which I work or the country abroad in which I permanently live?

Many thanks indeed!

1 hour ago, osunax said:

Hi @vivanco

By "resident country" you mean the country in which I permanently live outside Europe, correct? - Or do you mean the country in which I work/stay temporarily in Germany / Europe?

By "country you stay" do you mean the country in Europe in which I work or the country abroad in which I permanently live?

I meant the tax residency country. For example When you live more than 180 days in germany, you are supposed to file taxes in Germany. When you live say 3 countries in an year, you need to check with lawyers for which which countries you need to file the taxes. Since not all the countries have the same tax law, so can't answer your questions exactly. If your income is taxed in any countries, then you need to file tax in that countries and get rebate so to avoid double taxation. 

17 hours ago, osunax said:

Hi there,

I am a German national (naturalized) thinking about leaving Europe. So, I'm wondering:

1. if I move permanently outside Europe, later on I'm free to take any freelance job offer while abroad to come work in Germany temporarily (3+ months) on a project basis, correct?

2. If yes to 1., does this also apply to any other European countries in which, as a German national, I do not need any work visa / permit?

3. How is it with taxes? Do I simply pay them the regular way on the European country I'm staying in for as long as I work there? Is that it? Or does it get any more complicated? - It is never too simple with taxes, is it? :-)

4. Are there any restrictions with respect to how often I can come work temporarily in Germany / Europe this way? For example, can I do two non-consecutive 3-month contracts with a calendar year?

5. I guess it would also be possible to do freelancing remotely (from outside Europe). How is it with taxes in this case? Is this allowed from a taxes perspective?

Many thanks in advance for any feedback you guys can provide on this!

Best regards and stay healthy! 

If it fits your line of work, you can easily start a company in Estonia and get e-Residency there.   Having a company there will allow you to do business with customers in the EU even if you reside outside of the EU.

It may not apply to your situation, but you might benefit from checking into it. 

Good luck. 

Hi there, sorry for my late reply!

@vivanco Understood, thanks for the clarification and further insight, good information to know.

@balticus Wow, that sounds interesting, thanks for that tip, I'll definitely look into it! Just curious, do you know if that is limited to EU states? Or are EFTA states also included? (mainly interested in Switzerland).

Thanks and regards!

8 hours ago, osunax said:

@balticus Wow, that sounds interesting, thanks for that tip, I'll definitely look into it! Just curious, do you know if that is limited to EU states? Or are EFTA states also included? (mainly interested in Switzerland).

It was set up for online businesses and to support "digital nomads".    I don't know enough about the regulations and taxes in Switzerland to comment.   There are examples of people who live in Brazil, get their "e-residency" in Estonia, and set up a company in Estonia so that they have an EU based company to do business with other EU companies.  

@balticus OK, thanks for your reply. Follow-up question, in case you are familiar with the topic: as an EU national (but non-resident), are there any clear administrative/financial advantages in doing freelancing through an EU-based company rather than doing it directly as a private person?

18 hours ago, osunax said:

@balticus OK, thanks for your reply. Follow-up question, in case you are familiar with the topic: as an EU national (but non-resident), are there any clear administrative/financial advantages in doing freelancing through an EU-based company rather than doing it directly as a private person?

Sometimes companies prefer to do business with companies rather than individuals.   Sometimes companies prefer to do business with companies or entities based in the EU rather than making agreements with individuals who are remote.