Tea stains on kitchen counter

26 posts in this topic

Since the surface is white, maybe you can make a paste out of hydrogen peroxide and baking soda (would be great if you actually have Arm & Hammer on hand, is finer than the Kaiser Natron stuff).  Apply it to the stain and leave it on there for hours or even overnight.

Of course, one hazard might be that it works *too* well, and turns up whiter than the rest.

If you don't want to do that, you could do what I do to clean my cutting boards, and you don't need any fancy imported baking soda.  Spritz the ring with the normal spray bleach you get at the store.  Sartogan is the name-brand stuff, I usually get the DM house brand in the blue bottle.  (Like 5% bleach or something.  Can check later.)  Then apply a nice thick line of scheuermilch to the area, rub it in gently with a brush, tap out the extra mixture from the brush onto the stain (helps to wet the brush with water first so the precious mixture doesn't stick inside the bristles) and let it sit for a while.  Rub it off with a cloth later (of course I rinse my cutting boards with running water).  This technique gets every stain, every odor out of my very porous cutting boards and doesn't damage surfaces as far as I can tell.  The key is letting it sit a while.

You can also do as fraufruit advises and test a patch, if there is one somewhere inconspicuous.  With "sit a while" I mean at least 20 minutes, for such a stubborn old stain, again though up to several hours.  If that doesn't work, I don't know what will.

Have you tried denture cleaner? (Like good ol' Kukident). It's food-safe (duh). I used it to get the tea stains out of the teapots at the store with it. Works on other things as well...

Arm & Hammar baking soda is often found in Asian grocery stores; I've seen it occasionally elsewhere where there's a large ex-Pat customer base.

I don't know what magic is in magic erasers but they've magically erased the problem, as well as making the whole counter top cleaner and whiter than I'd managed any other way. It took a bit of effort but it's almost completely disappeared; I can just about see something from the right angle - but even then I'm not at all sure whether I'm hallucinating from staring at a bright white surface for too long.

Thanks for advice.

Super.  Now buy some cheap but lovely wood boards and put stuff on them, not the counter tops.  Have the same problem here.

12 hours ago, snowingagain said:

Super.  Now buy some cheap but lovely wood boards and put stuff on them, not the counter tops.  Have the same problem here.

Good suggestion. I've already started putting saucers under mugs on the counter top. The engineer in me gets very annoyed when products can't be used for their intended purpose - should be better designed.

Yes - I think kitchens shifted from utility to show and obviously the materials and finish of show products is different.

Trouble is they are not marked as 'this is proper kitchen stuff' and 'this is pretend kitchen stuff for people who want to look good' so unless we put the kitchen in ourselves and were super careful, we are left using turmeric on a surface which would have been marked by distilled water.

'Tis indeed a bugger, but what a great result from the magic sponge. I may give that a go myself.