Anmeldebescheinigung before arriving?

11 posts in this topic

I hope this is in the right place...

I am toying with the idea of getting a roommate (yes, I have talked to the Mieterverein about my rights to sublet). 

Obviously I need to give registration. Can the person get it before they enter the country? Is this legal? 

I know someone who is interested, but they are doing their visa paperwork in their home country. They mentioned they want to “pay the rent and get the registration form before they arrive.” 

IFAIK, they have to do that when they arrive. I do not want to get into any trouble if I get involved in this process. 

Thanks! 

What you will give to your sub-tenant (after you acquire permission from your Landlord) is not the "registration". You only give them what is called "Wohnungsgeberbescheinigung". That form contains a date, which is the start date of your sub-rental contract. You can't get a "registration form" for them. They  have to get that done for themselves, once they are physically present in Germany.

Your sub-tenant needs to personally go to Bürgeramt/Einwohnermeldeamt within 2 weeks of actually moving in and register (showing the Wohnungsgeberbescheinigung from you, and his/her passport).

31 minutes ago, karin_brenig said:

What you will give to your sub-tenant (after you acquire permission from your Landlord) is not the "registration". You only give them what is called "Wohnungsgeberbescheinigung". That form contains a date, which is the start date of your sub-rental contract. You can't get a "registration form" for them. They  have to get that done for themselves, once they are physically present in Germany.

Your sub-tenant needs to personally go to Bürgeramt/Einwohnermeldeamt within 2 weeks of actually moving in and register (showing the Wohnungsgeberbescheinigung from you, and his/her passport).

Sorry, that’s what I meant— give them the necessary paperwork so they can get their registration. Should have been clear about that, sorry!

Am I allowed to give them that info if the contract starts before they arrive? So let’s say the rental contract starts June 1st and they won’t arrive until August 1st. Assuming all goes right and they pay, is this allowed? 

It just sounds like a scam to me. That’s all.

9 minutes ago, klingklang77 said:

Sorry, that’s what I meant— give them the necessary paperwork so they can get their registration. Should have been clear about that, sorry!

Am I allowed to give them that info if the contract starts before they arrive? So let’s say the rental contract starts June 1st and they won’t arrive until August 1st. Assuming all goes right and they pay, is this allowed? 

It just sounds like a scam to me. That’s all.

you can read some Information here: https://www.buergerserviceportal.de/bayern/vgeibelstadt/bsp_wohnungsgeberzustimmung

Works similarly in other cities. You simply make sure the correct date is filled out for when your tenant actually moves in. 

If you feel there's something fishy about your tenant, just tell them you'll hand over the form when they show up. They can't use the form before they are in Germany, they have to personally show up with paper in hand at Bürgeramt.

3 hours ago, fraufruit said:

I don't see a scam when they are going to send you money unless they just want your bank deets. Maybe Paypal?

I am not concerned about the bank details so much. I don’t know really, but I just feel funny about it. I’m a paranoid NYer, lol. 

Do you know this possible renter? Why would you go this route- surely you would want to meet this "Room-mate" in person? Masked and SD of course!

5 hours ago, RedMidge said:

Do you know this possible renter? Why would you go this route- surely you would want to meet this "Room-mate" in person? Masked and SD of course!

No, I’ve been looking on WG-gesucht. I’m just starting the process and this was the first message I  got. I also asked my friends to ask around. It really just became an idea a few weeks ago. 

I kind of want something short term of three months to try it out. I’m not in a position to move right now and this is the best solution to reduce my living costs. 

I thought I’d ask on here if this was normal. I guess not. I’ve never had a roommate in Germany. 

I think it’s pretty important that you meet a potential roommate before agreeing to let them

move in. There are so many roommate horror stories out there 😥

3 hours ago, Santitas said:

I think it’s pretty important that you meet a potential roommate before agreeing to let them

move in. There are so many roommate horror stories out there 😥

Yeah, I kind of assumed that. I was just thrown off guard by this person asking about the registration and I was just wondering if that was normal. Thanks! Going to be more aware going forward.