Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

DHL to America during Covid

7 posts in this topic

Has anyone sent a package to the states recently? My Kiosk guy says it will cost €60 if I send it through him. He said the only other solution is a päckchen XS booked online for €9. But, when I looked online, I could order a pächchen M for €15. I didn't go though with the booking yet, and I will go back to the kiosk later today, just wondered if anyone has done it. 

Not quite the same, but I sent an XS Päckchen to Canada recently, €9 online, dropped off at Packstation, arrived 2.5 weeks later. Wife sent M Päckchen 2 weeks later, same procedure. No problems, but no tracking possible.

thanks, i saw that 'no tracking' part. it's not really that important. just would be nice . it is not an expensive gift. 

"Warenpost International" has a "tracking" option.

It is officially only available to people who have a business account at Deutsche Post, but since nobody checks whether you actually are a business, opening a Deutsche Post business account is also possible for private customers.

For details, please see here:

When I last sent things to the USA, only online franking was permitted. Shipment through shops is allowed again but as you experienced at much higher rates.

One thing no one mentioned is that shipping to America now is extremely slow and your package may get converted from airmail to seamail without advising you and without any rebate for the much slower, cheaper service. DHL just pockets the savings. My sea mail DHL packages took 3.5 months to arrive, and one of three packages was completely lost and I'm still waiting for the federal postal arbitration to get through their massive DHL/Post backlog of cases. You can order "express surcharge" on some packages but there is still no guarantee they will not get seamailed, again with no refund of the express surcharge. So don't ship anything that has any kind of priority behind it, for that you must use the very high rates from UPS or similar. It's awful now.

Meanwhile, America to Germany shipping is somehow relatively normal, and from Japan to Germany completely normal. Screw DHL.

4 hours ago, tor said:

Has anyone sent a package to the states recently? My Kiosk guy says it will cost €60 if I send it through him. He said the only other solution is a päckchen XS booked online for €9. But, when I looked online, I could order a pächchen M for €15. I didn't go though with the booking yet, and I will go back to the kiosk later today, just wondered if anyone has done it. 

Your kiosk guy is better than mine.  He never told me I could book it online, just that it was supposed to be 56€ because the US only allows airmail right now apparently but surface mail would have been 16€.  He told me to check back later if they'd opened up again so I took my package back to the post a couple of times and was told the same thing. Not always the same post office either.