Constant disconnects with new Telekom line - what can I do?

16 posts in this topic

We moved in to a new apartment in Hamburg and decided to get Telekom VDSL at 100/40 Mbps.

Since day 1 it has been very fast when it works, but disconnecting at least 10-20 times every day. It mostly disconnects at night time, but also during day time. As a result I am often dropping out of calls with colleagues as I am working from home full time.

We did not get Telekom hardware and instead used a compatible Fritzbox 7560 which I have updated to the latest beta firmware, since AVM has abandoned the model in terms of official updates (latest update in 2019) but still releases new beta firmware for it. The disconnects were happening before and after the update, but if anything, they happen less often after it. I did this update because I found at least one message in the Telekom support forums where this was reccomended by the Telekom peoplem, and it might have indeed reduced the disconnects.

Anyway, but to the topic.

My most urgent question is: can I use the constant disconnects as reason to cancel the subscription without paying a penalty if Telekom can't fix it? I am at day 12 since the line was delivered, so I can still just cancel everything without an explanation. I am therefore considering to cancel and review my options, while in the meantime using my LTE connection from O2 as it works quite OK and I can do my video calls without issues. I can upgrade my LTE plan to unlimited for 40 euros/mth on a " monatlich kündbar" basis while reviewing other options for landline Internet.

If the answer to the above is yes, then I am willing to give Telekom some time to fix the line.

Other than that, any advice will be welcome.
-Would it make sense to get Telekom's official hardware?

-Would it make sense to ask them to send a technician to check my line?

-Is there any chance that switching to another DSL provider could fix my issues? In other words if I switch to 1&1/O2/etc, would they simply resell to me the exact same line as Telekom did, or is there a chance that their equipment might function better?

2 hours ago, lewton said:

-Is there any chance that switching to another DSL provider could fix my issues?

Yes, may be with cable internet as it uses TV cable for DSL instead of Telekom. 

2 hours ago, lewton said:

My experience, getting internet set up in Germany is a bitch but once you have it, it usually works.  In your case, I think it's more likely a problem with the line rather than the Fritz box.  Have you asked your neighbours what they have and whether they're having problems?  Like if they said Telekom doesn't work at all in your building, you know to stop trying.  As vivanco said, if you get a connection that uses the TV cable, that should solve the problem if the line is bad.  Again, ask the neighbours what they have.

The people living in the same flat before told us they were happy with their Vodafone DSL and could do home office without issues.

On the day we moved I connected my Fritzh to their line and it synced at 50Mbps.

Could this mean that if I switch to 50 Mbps my line might get more stable?

12 hours ago, vivanco said:

Yes, may be with cable internet as it uses TV cable for DSL instead of Telekom. 

I forgot to clarify, there is no Cable Internet possibility in this new address. :(

24 minutes ago, lewton said:

The people living in the same flat before told us they were happy with their Vodafone DSL and could do home office without issues.

On the day we moved I connected my Fritzh to their line and it synced at 50Mbps.

Could this mean that if I switch to 50 Mbps my line might get more stable?

I hope you already tried connecting the fritzbox in other room socket of your apartment. 

24 minutes ago, lewton said:

14 hours ago, lewton said:

Here are my line's stats.

There is only one socket in the house and it is the one the previous tenants used. As I said, they told me they could do home office without issues.

dsl.PNG

4 hours ago, lewton said:

Yes, I can find the disconnect logs.
Would it help to share them here?

If you share them, we may be able to see what is happening.

Might help might not...

I can't see anything problematic in the logs.  The connection being cleared and the PPP negotiation error are normal according to this info, at least when done by the fritzbox itself (but causes problems if done from the ISP side);

https://en.avm.de/service/fritzbox/fritzbox-7560/knowledge-base/publication/show/675_Internet-connection-is-cleared-briefly/

Only useable suggestion there is to check if he connection is set to be permanently on.

DSL not responding sounds like the connection is not being made to the provider.

If this is enough to get you out of the contract, I can't say. 

I did find this entry for firmware for the 7560;

https://download.avm.de/fritzbox/fritzbox-7560/deutschland/fritz.os/

It is version 7.12 which is not really that up to date (my 7490 is on 7.21) and you may also already have it (I added the link in case you haven't).

Do have access to another fritzbox? I think using an older box and not one provided by your ISP is goin to leave you open to 'not our box, not our problem' and the log doesn't give you anything concrete you can push back on the them.

No harm is trying through.

On 4/8/2021, 12:23:56, cb6dba said:

I can't see anything problematic in the logs.  The connection being cleared and the PPP negotiation error are normal according to this info, at least when done by the fritzbox itself (but causes problems if done from the ISP side);

https://en.avm.de/service/fritzbox/fritzbox-7560/knowledge-base/publication/show/675_Internet-connection-is-cleared-briefly/

Only useable suggestion there is to check if he connection is set to be permanently on.

DSL not responding sounds like the connection is not being made to the provider.

If this is enough to get you out of the contract, I can't say. 

I did find this entry for firmware for the 7560;

https://download.avm.de/fritzbox/fritzbox-7560/deutschland/fritz.os/

It is version 7.12 which is not really that up to date (my 7490 is on 7.21) and you may also already have it (I added the link in case you haven't).

Do have access to another fritzbox? I think using an older box and not one provided by your ISP is goin to leave you open to 'not our box, not our problem' and the log doesn't give you anything concrete you can push back on the them.

No harm is trying through.

Nothing problematic in my disconnects? :ph34r:

Anyway, I am happy to order their own hardware if that might help my case. I hope I can even cancel and return it separately from my DSL subcription if it doesn't improve anything.

Some news though.
On April 7 late at night, or even past midnight, I reported the issue through their platform. I had one more disconnect at 1 am in the morning of April 8, and then more than 24 hours without a disconnect. I was thinking that maybe they reacted immediately to my issue and fixed it. Unfortunately I have had 7-8 disconnects today starting at 3am and

continuing throughout the day.
So I might try ordering their own hardware and see if that helps.

Oh and by the way, I have updated the Fritz to the latest beta version from their website. The disconncects happened before this beta version was installed (at version 12) and with the new beta version (version 24 released in March 2021).

41 minutes ago, lewton said:

Nothing problematic in my disconnects? :ph34r:

Anyway, I am happy to order their own hardware if that might help my case. I hope I can even cancel and return it separately from my DSL subcription if it doesn't improve anything.

Some news though.
On April 7 late at night, or even past midnight, I reported the issue through their platform. I had one more disconnect at 1 am in the morning of April 8, and then more than 24 hours without a disconnect. I was thinking that maybe they reacted immediately to my issue and fixed it. Unfortunately I have had 7-8 disconnects today starting at 3am and

continuing throughout the day.
So I might try ordering their own hardware and see if that helps.

Oh and by the way, I have updated the Fritz to the latest beta version from their website. The disconncects happened before this beta version was installed (at version 12) and with the new beta version (version 24 released in March 2021).

No, there is nothing problematic in the log.

That doesn't mean there isn't anything. Logs are created by an error documentation process, the log can only capture that if it's coded to.

Add in that an error code can be caused by a few things, and you have the fun.

Best example is the old 404 error (way back in the day when IE was king, in the time between the death of netscape and the birth of chrome)  - website not found. You'd get that in the past trying to get to a website while you are offline. It's kind of true, the website is not available, but in this case, because you are offline.

Over time this was changed and you can get a 'offline' error these days. 

If there is no pattern to the disconnects (and there is nothing useful in the log) then it's tricky to see where it is. 

You could go and get a more recent fritzbox model or as you say, go with their hardware. My guess is that unless oyu get a box form them (which or whatever it is) they won't support in setting it up. They might, but I've been told in the past 'no, that's your own equipment, we can't help' even though my provider offered the same fritz model. But, as the account said 'uses own equipment', the support people couldn't help more than pointing me to a few online sources.

Things may have changed now, I always thought that it isn't unreasonable for people to get their own or already have equipment and there is a lot more competition around there days.

If you get this solved, come back and post an update. Would be interesting to know what caused it.