Residence permit and ALGII both expiring

7 posts in this topic

Hi folks,

Well, I’ve encountered my nightmare scenario:

My residence permit expires on 17 April (I sent my paperwork in last month, but I’ve not even received a Fiktionsbescheinigung yet) and my ALGII benefits expired on 31 March.

Quite apart from the fact that I’m not getting money this month, I’m faced with a real chicken-and-egg situation: on the one hand, the Jobcenter won’t extend my ALGII benefits without a renewed permit and, on the other, I’m likely not going to receive a Fiktionsbescheinigung if I don’t demonstrate I’m receiving money to live on every month.

Needless to say, I am at a complete loss what to do to solve this problem. All I know is, I want to stay here in Munich, and find another job (been looking for the 15 months).

Any advice on how to solve this problem, such that I don’t have to leave Germany? Thanks!!!

(PS: I’m single and live alone, so a ‘green card marriage’ is not a viable solution.)

(PPS: If it matters any, I’m Canadian, so unfortunately I don’t get the benefits of EU citizens, and I still haven’t made enough payments to the pension system to qualify for a Niederlassungserlaubnis, despite living in Germany since Jan 2012.)

1 hour ago, Continuity said:

Needless to say, I am at a complete loss what to do to solve this problem. All I know is, I want to stay here in Munich, and find another job (been looking for the 15 months).

If you want accurate advice, I would highly recommend posting your question on info4alien.de. info4alien is a site run and moderated by officials working at ABH across the country as well working at German Consulates abroad.  Make sure to include all relevant info.

12 minutes ago, engelchen said:

If you want accurate advice, I would highly recommend posting your question on info4alien.de. info4alien is a site run and moderated by officials working at ABH across the country as well working at German Consulates abroad.  Make sure to include all relevant info.

Thanks! Yeah, accurate advice would be good ... I’ll check it out. 

In in the meantime, accurate advice from clever TT-ers is more than welcome!

I would phone or email the ABH and try to find out what is going on, and ask for a fiktions to be sent straight away. At least you will get through to a human and get an answer and hopefully a fiktions pretty much straight away.

3 hours ago, Continuity said:

In in the meantime, accurate advice from clever TT-ers is more than welcome!

This made me laugh, I take it you haven't really spent much time around here :lol:

Good luck sorting your situation out. Sounds tricky, fingers crossed it goes the way you want it to. The website suggested by engelchen seems like a good start.

8 hours ago, SusieT said:

I would phone or email the ABH and try to find out what is going on, and ask for a fiktions to be sent straight away. At least you will get through to a human and get an answer and hopefully a fiktions pretty much straight away.

Thanks! And that’s precisely what I did. Turns out, the human on the other end of the phone line said that a Fiktionsbescheinigung had already been approved/entered into the system in early-ish March, and he was surprised to learn I’d not received it yet, so he’s forwarding the whole business to the relevant people to get it sorted.

Nothing like immigration/unemployment benefits problems to make one feel alive! But hey, all’s well that ends well.

Thanks, folks!

8 years here, not enough pension contributions and haven't worked for nearly a year and a half.  And you're a foreigner. I know the corona economic situation has been hard for many, but I think this is really one of those life and lemons scenarios. I wish you all the best, but being able to support yourself is a key element of most residence permits (since you have no spousal opportunities and are not an asylum-seeker). You're a foreigner. You have no self-supported income. From their POV, why should you be allowed to stay?

After you get off the phone with the ABH, I'd head down to Aldi and ask when you can start stocking shelves, pronto. Or start driving delivery vans. Something, anything. It's lucky you are Canadian too, as a Nigerian or Brazilian national would have received deportation orders by now.