Mieterverein doesn't answer, what now?

35 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, Tap said:

The structure of the building has already been checked and is fine, this is a tear on the outer plaster

"Mature plaster" usually doesnt crack or split on its own...    The common cause for it is water ingress...  then Frost...  

Although you dont own the outer or inner structural walls, you have to pay a %age of their up-keep, therefor you should ask what the cause of the split/crack is and if the cause has also been addressed...

This is one reason that I probably will never buy another apartment here in DE...,   

EDITED... is its one of the external walls with styropor insulation... then a "skim" and a decent waterresistant breathable paint is about a 4 grand job.. ( size and accesabillity  dependant...)

Thanks for the advice. It looks like the only solution to this is to give her our power of attorney, which she says we have to send by post and not email.  

1 minute ago, fraufruit said:

Can you include which repair option you want to vote for or does she get to decide your vote?

We can include our option.

Simply put, here are the two options:  Putting a plaster on it is about 2.5 k, fixing it for good is 4.5 k. 

I've just had another look at the wall, it's on the opposite side of the building to me.  The rip or tear is on a part of the wall that juts out over the garden, it gives the occupants a little more space inside - I've no idea what it's call in English or German, like a little extension.

12 minutes ago, Tap said:

It looks like the only solution to this is to give her our power of attorney, which she says we have to send by post and not email.  

Why do you have to give her the PoA? Then she can make binding decisions on your behalf. If she doesn't have your PoA that is her problem not yours. She works for you, right?

Did you check out the links I posted? There is some question of whether decisions during these meetings are valid if they are held in violation of local restrictions to stem the pandemic. 

1 minute ago, engelchen said:

Why do you have to give her the PoA? Then she can make binding decisions on your behalf. If she doesn't have your PoA that is her problem not yours. She works for you, right?

Did you check out the links I posted? There is some question of whether decisions during these meetings are valid if they are held in violation of local restrictions to stem the pandemic. 

If we don't give her our PoA and we don't go, which we don't want to do, then we have no vote.  It's a limited PoA, only dealing with the issue of the wall, everything else is just information, which she will send to us by post.  It seems that because she has already set up the agenda, with a date and time, she can't (or won't) change it.  My daughter is dealing with it now as she is much better versed in this kind of thing than me.

As I said, we never had a problem before, this has come about because of the pandemic and I suspect this woman doesn't know how to deal with it. Hopefully we'll be back to normal by next year.

Isnt there any insurance that can cover the repair? If so, then do the Full on repair... 

I would also add, If the descission is made to do a temp fix, then you will not pay for any further rpairs at the same location for any similar issues...  but it does NOT mean that you are voting for the 4.5K job!

@TapAre you a member of Haus & Grund? They should be able to advise you as I am sure this is not the first time the problem of virtual meetings has come up. I would have a problem with someone pressuring me like this. If people don't show up or no vote can be taken, she has to reschedule the meeting. Tough sh*t. 

This would actually be a reason for me to question whether she was working in the best interest of the owners - who pay her - or her own. Especially if there are only six of you. 

@jamiemorrowHave you considered going to a lawyer? I know it is more expensive than the Mieterverein,  but if you are worried about deadlines etc. it might be worth it. I can't contribute anything about your specific problem, unfortunately. 

1 hour ago, Tap said:

If we don't give her our PoA and we don't go, which we don't want to do, then we have no vote.  It's a limited PoA, only dealing with the issue of the wall, everything else is just information, which she will send to us by post.  It seems that because she has already set up the agenda, with a date and time, she can't (or won't) change it.  My daughter is dealing with it now as she is much better versed in this kind of thing than me.

As I said, we never had a problem before, this has come about because of the pandemic and I suspect this woman doesn't know how to deal with it. Hopefully we'll be back to normal by next year.

What our property management company does was to send the agenda via email, and ask everyone to vote, sign, scan and send it back.

If your property management company does not know what it is doing, you can also vote and have the property management company replaced. 

4 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

Isnt there any insurance that can cover the repair? If so, then do the Full on repair... 

I would also add, If the descission is made to do a temp fix, then you will not pay for any further rpairs at the same location for any similar issues...  but it does NOT mean that you are voting for the 4.5K job!

The money is there, the house has a healthy bank balance.  I'm voting for the full repair, I hope my neighbours agree.

3 hours ago, maxie said:

@TapAre you a member of Haus & Grund? They should be able to advise you as I am sure this is not the first time the problem of virtual meetings has come up. I would have a problem with someone pressuring me like this. If people don't show up or no vote can be taken, she has to reschedule the meeting. Tough sh*t. 

This would actually be a reason for me to question whether she was working in the best interest of the owners - who pay her - or her own. Especially if there are only six of you. 

We'll think about joining Haus & Grund.  The decision to change the management company is not just ours, I know one neighbour is a personal friend of the owner of the management company, and they've lived in this house the longest, in fact, since it was built in 2003.  As I've said before, there hasn't been a problem in the past, but we've also only dealt with the owner of the management company until last year, this women is a relatively new employee and we're not warming to her.

2 hours ago, RenegadeFurther said:

What our property management company does was to send the agenda via email, and ask everyone to vote, sign, scan and send it back.

If your property management company does not know what it is doing, you can also vote and have the property management company replaced. 

I like that, simple and straightforward, this should be so easy to do. 

Again, we are not the only ones who can decide to change the management company. I'm not sure how the others feel yet, but I will find out.

Bother-in-law is a property manager and he has to go through this election process over time in every property he manages.

The vote tends to be by people who own what he is managing, not anyone renting etc. I think they can be at meetings, but they can't vote. He also tends to deal with buildings where there are a lot of flats but owned by lots of different people etc (so a block in which people have bought their flat rather than a huge block owned by one person).

I Guess it's a tricky situation at times, if you have a tenant on tenant problem, the one who you make the call against is gong to be annoyed with you. 

30 minutes ago, cb6dba said:

Bother-in-law is a property manager and he has to go through this election process over time in every property he manages.

The vote tends to be by people who own what he is managing, not anyone renting etc. I think they can be at meetings, but they can't vote. He also tends to deal with buildings where there are a lot of flats but owned by lots of different people etc (so a block in which people have bought their flat rather than a huge block owned by one person).

I Guess it's a tricky situation at times, if you have a tenant on tenant problem, the one who you make the call against is gong to be annoyed with you. 

What point are you making? Or is there a point?

1 hour ago, cb6dba said:

The vote tends to be by people who own what he is managing, not anyone renting etc.

I've never heard of renters going to owner's meeting and voting.

3 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

I've never heard of renters going to owner's meeting and voting.

Only the owners in our building can go to our meetings, the renters don't know about it unless their landlord asks them if there are any issues that should be discussed.