Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Will my UK covid test be accepted in Germany?

7 posts in this topic

There are now free Covid19 tests available in England. There are the lateral flow tests. I would like to get one as I want to return to Berlin soon.

Will this test be recognised by Germany  ? Or should I go for the more reliable PCR test? This is more difficult to access , but is more reliable. And what are these 2 called in German ?

Thanks

27 minutes ago, colincostello said:

There are now free Covid19 tests available in England. There are the lateral flow tests. I would like to get one as I want to return to Berlin soon.

Will this test be recognised by Germany  ? Or should I go for the more reliable PCR test? This is more difficult to access , but is more reliable. And what are these 2 called in German ?

Thanks

Lots of details here, regarding flying/overland test stuff.  Also details about who is allowed in.

BMI - Migration - Travel restrictions / border control (bund.de)

"Nucleic acid amplification technology processes (PCR, LAMP, TMA) and antigen tests are accepted. Antigen rapid tests are accepted if they meet the minimum criteria recommended by WHO. Antibody tests are not accepted."

So antigen rapid tests are accepted if they are above a certain standard of sensitivity. 

If you are flying, I would ask your airline, they will know exactly what is needed.

Did you find out from the German embassy what documents you need to return as a resident?

Are you a resident or citizen of Germany? If so, you're allowed to come back to Germany whenever you want (according to this website: https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/world.php - which I understand is what airline gate agents use as reference). You'll need to provide a negative antigen test (taken within 48 hours of departure - these are the 'schnelltests' that they offer for free in Berlin) and you'll also need to fill in an online form (and of course, be prepared to quarantine). Safe travels!

2 hours ago, colincostello said:

A good question. I hope I get some kind of proof . I would prefer a paper copy , but would go for a digital copy if I had to.

You need proof that the test is yours so document (digital or paper) will need independent proof that is was you who took the test and what type of test  ie a declaration which I don't think you will get from the standard free testing in the UK unfortunately.