Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Ispropyl Alcohol / Isopropanol -- seeking

17 posts in this topic

Anyone know where to find Isopropanol and/or 99.9% alcohol Isopropylalkohol other than Amazon?

To clean some stuff, I was looking for Isopropyl Alcohol.  My American experience is that it's common.  But I couldn't find it at Toom, DM, or an Apotheke. 

The Apotheke said "Oh, Isopropylalkohol kein Problem" and brought me a typical Apotheke box with plants drawn on it ('cuz everything at the 'theke is so natural) but it was only 70% alcohol even though it said "Isopropylalkohol" in big letters on it. 

The closest thing Toom and DM had was Brennspiritus which is 94% ethanol. 

I see 99.9% alcohol "Isopropanol" being sold on Amazon for about 10 EUR per liter, which is about 5 times the price of Spiritus at DM and twice the price of Spiritus at Toom. 

Anyone know where to find Isopropanol and/or 99.9% alcohol Isopropylalkohol other than Amazon?

nanoprotect.de/online-shop/produkte-a-z/isopropanol/?gclid=CjwKCAjw6qqDBhB-EiwACBs6x-bj6U0b6cRvLQbA7vH2qgAoJE2kGsJW5slApq7CXUvSJA-bO45ygBoC3E8QAvD_BwE

https://de.rs-online.com/web/p/elektronik-reiniger/0567890/

https://www.conrad.de/de/search.html?search=isopropylalkohol&searchBarInput=isop

https://www.sigmaaldrich.com/catalog/substance/2propanol60106763011?lang=de&region=DE

Search Isopropanol. They normally sell it in various different purity.

It is used in every scientific labs. That's how I know it.

Make sure you understand and follow the safety instructions. IPA is not as bad as Acetone, it's not super bad, but it's still bad.

there's lots of it on ebay.  I paid around €3-4 a liter.  I actually ordered 70% but they sent me 99%, am hoping it is easy to dilute.  Sending it back is more headache than it's worth considering it took a month to arrive, but not sure if that was a DHL problem or a vendor problem.

You might want to look for "Meliseptol Rapid" you can find it in eBay, Amazon, etc.   Or from any Apotheke

I use quite a bit and source it from a offset printers, they use gallons of the stuff and it´s the good stuff to boot.

After many years of getting it from people who have access to military shops, I just get Brennspiritus now. And a cheap bottle of Korn if I need to disinfect something I'm going to eat.

Also, don't buy anything at toom. Crap shop, in my opinion.

Actually, is anyone here smart in chemistry and able to advise me?  Can/should I dilute my 99% alcohol all at once?  Like, empty out 30% of the liter and then replace it with water, or should I do it in smaller batches/as needed?  Can I use regular tap water or do I need to get distilled?  If distilled, can I use it once for dilution and then cap it for later or does it go bad after a time after it's been opened?

Questions upon questions, all advice, experiences, and even half-baked opinions, hypotheses and theories welcome.

Except drinking you can do anything with 99% alcohol.

Dilute it as you want. It will not get hot like when you dilute concentated sulphuric acid with water.

Tap water or destilled water? Tap water contains lime. If you dilute your alcohol with tap water and let the mixture evaporate on a clean surface the lime will stay on it.

So, it depends what you plan to do.

17 minutes ago, dessa_dangerous said:

all advice, experiences, and even half-baked opinions, hypotheses and theories welcome.

OK, at best half baked, i would decant the amount you want just now and dilute that and use it. With tap*. (I used to be a science teacher - there is less scientific information in my head than you could possibly imagine) 

Silly story, I think you may be up for one - my last job doing my actual job with a lab and everything, about 15 years ago (head already very empty) - the last teacher told a tale of having arrived and found a container in the locked cupboard in the prep room. She had no idea what was in there, and did some finding out, and discovered that a previous teacher had a mate who had a horse who got sick and was treated with this substance, diluted very thoroughly, and that said substance was extremely poisonous and if it got into the water system would finish off the whole town. So they locked it in the school lab prep room cupboard. Which tall tale I kind of believe. Stupid enough to be real. They'd chucked it out before I got there.

*the thing with the lime makes sense

@kiplette oh boy!  Great place to store a hugely poisonous substance--in a school, where we know kids are absolutely helpless against locked cabinets!

I won't bore anyone with how much shit I broke into as a grade-schooler, subject for another thread, not that I'd want to tell on myself even 30 years later!  But I was *very* good at getting into stuff I wasn't supposed to.  Especially locked cabinets.  At like, eight years old. 

@AnswerToLife42 funnily enough, if I think about it, around 70% of the time I want it for use on myself--cleaning wounds and stuff.  I do also have 3% peroxide on hand but some stuff just wants good old-fashioned alcohol.  Or in pandemic times, disinfecting surfaces (theoretical, I haven't actually cleaned anything with alcohol because of corona yet*--but I might do!).  And around 30% of the time I'll want it for loosening adhesive, that sort of thing, so maybe it's not so bad to have the strong stuff around for that.  When applying it to my skin I don't mind if it leaves a lime residue.  

The internet says that 70% is better for disinfection because 99% evaporates too quickly to kill germs effectively.  That's why it's advised to use 70% or dilute with water, so that it dries more slowly and takes more time to work, thus killing more microbes.  Makes sense.  99% is then reserved for industrial use/removing buildup and residues off surfaces.

I'm still interested if I can open distilled water and then reclose it and use it later or does the purity of the water suffer somehow after time?  Anyone know?

*edit: correction, I'm pretty sure I did whip out my little spray bottle of rubbing alcohol to clean outsides of packages in the very early days of the pandemic.  Abandoned that after they told us the protein envelope of the virus is easily broken by soap and water.  Wiped down the stuff for a few weeks, then abandoned that after a while as well, when we learned more about transmission.

I'm still interested if I can open distilled water and then reclose it and use it later or does the purity of the water suffer somehow after time?  Anyone know?

Should be fine. Just keep fingers or spoons or anything out. Don't put anything in the bottle, only pour out. 

3 hours ago, kiplette said:

.. who had a horse who got sick and was treated with this substance, diluted very thoroughly, and that said substance was extremely poisonous and if it got into the water system would finish off the whole town.

So, the substance would kill the inhabitants of a whole town, but would be safe for horses?

Reminds me of botox. Ten millionth of a gram can kill a man, but it can safely be applied on women.

Or maybe it got put on the outside of the horse and not on the inside? I always assumed that was more the story.

Or your botox idea :lol:

17 hours ago, AnswerToLife42 said:

It will not get hot like when you dilute concentated sulphuric acid with water.

Just in case - you do NOT dilute concentated sulphuric acid (or any other concentated acid) by adding water to it!

That is very very dangerous - you add the acid to the water...

Another shop I've been using for years for all my iso needs: https://hoefer-shop.de/technische-chemikalien/isopropanol/99,9/

You can use tap water to dilute it but this sometimes creates a slight precipitate. Nothing dangerous but if you want a crystal clear solution, use demineralised water sold for ironing and other household purposes. No need to spend extra on real distilled water.

Undiluted is best for adhesive residues but for other cleaning purposes some water in the solution can sometimes work better. This is because 99.9% will coagulate some substances, making them to harder to remove. For the same reason ~70% is recommended for desinfection because it will not coagulate the outer layer of the cells of the microorganisms too quickly and leaves more time for the alcohol to finish the job properly.

I'm using it to clean electrical contacts on model trains.  I don't want anything left to be a non-conductive residue, which is why I want 99.9%