Debt - Ratenzahlung

6 posts in this topic

Hello, 

in October 2020 I signed a rental contract for an apartment in Berlin, I was separated from my wife and kids. I lived there for 33 days, then I needed to go back to Bavaria because my wife was ill and I needed to be with my kids. I decided to stay in Bavaria where my kids are. 

So I wanted to break the rental agreement in 3 months and pay all the rents, but the problem is that in agreement is written that I can't quit the rental agreement for 45 months. 

My landord (agency) sent me an email that I need to pay 5000 Euro so the contract can be broken or they will charge me 30000 Euro. I agreed to pay 5000 Euro, and we signed an agreement. 

I was delivered a letter from a layer that I need to pay 5200 Euro right away. 

There is no chance that I can pay that money right away. Is there a posibility to pay them some amount of money on monthly basis? What can I sent them and how to ask them? Is there a civil right in German law to be able to pay in montly rates? 

Thanks

They won't go for a Ratenzahlung.  That requires flexibility, compassion and lateral thinking, not going to happen.

Call them up directly, explain that you don't have the money right now but can get it within two weeks.  Immediate payment is unreasonable.  I know, I know this is Germany, but still.  If they're sticklers, they'll have to go through the Mahnprozess anyways, which gives you a bit of time (might affect your Schufa score).  Let them do that if they insist, but get on the ball right away getting that money together.

In order of preference:

take it out of your savings account or collapse some of your accessible retirement investments

or borrow it from friends or family

or go to your bank and try to get a credit card or a line of credit or a loan.

or apply for a credit online.  I did one through creditcheck24, worked out well.

or If none of those work, take out a high-interest loan from Auxmoney, they are not at all picky about who they lend to.  Make sure you have the option for Sonderzahlungen though, and make that debt disappear as fast as possible - expect to pay at least 15% interest.

I take it you have a job?  Should be no problem getting a loan.

You´d be within your rights to apply for permission to sublet. If the landlord refuses you´d be able to terminate your contract prematurely. At least it used to be like that when I had refused permission to sublet and received a termination letter by the tenants lawyer some 30 years ago.