Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Any ideas on how to open house door. ABUS key, turns though won’t unlock

7 posts in this topic

My neighbour asked me to feed her cats.  This morning, the key that I keep and have often used, turned several times though didn’t unlock. I alerted her to the problem though she thought that her key would work.  Now she’s home with her young kids, her key doesn’t work.  She has called a locksmith though it can take some time before he can attend.  Does anyone happen to know of this kind of problem and of any non invasive means to gain entry...any key/door push-pull tricks?  The door/lock is only around 10 years old.  Not directly exposed to the elements and apparently never has any sticking issues.  I guess it has 2-4 locking hinges, similar to ours.  I know it’s a long shot though any advice would be much appreciated 

With my door you have to pull the door towards you and then turn the key. Other doors you sometimes have to lift a bit and then turn the key. Did you try these techniques?

Thank you...the locksmith has just been. Much lifting and pushing ensued including removal of the cat flap to hook the handle inside. The door finally opened. No idea yet what needs to be repaired or replaced.

We also have an Abus lock.

After installation we had the problem that we had to turn the key multiple times before it opened the lock.

We complained and were told that eventually the lock will open. Sometimes you have to turn the key 10 times or more.

They offered to exchange the lock, but for us it is ok the way it is.

We have the lock for more than 10 years now and were allways able to open the door.

3 hours ago, AnswerToLife42 said:

Sometimes you have to turn the key 10 times or more.

That would drive me nuts. Suppose you come back from Oktoberfest and you had a few 🤔.