Transnational family in a pandemic world :-(

49 posts in this topic

Folks,

Kind of the opposite situation for me:  I'm in the US and have a step-brother-in-law (my wife's step brother) in Berlin.  He's in his early 80's and I usually come over to Berlin 2-3 times a year to visit, check on his finances, help with things.  He doesn't do computers, so email/skype is out.  I try to call each week to check on him.  He lives by himself and I can tell that the lockdown is really taking a toll on him.  

I was in Berlin the first week of March in 2020.  Covid was making the headlines and things were starting to close.  I remember trying to find toilet paper at Aldi, Edeka, or Lidl and couldn't.  I thought maybe they moved it somewhere else in the store?  That's when I asked a friend and he said "Hamsterkauf".  I said what?  He said whenever there is a cold/flu season, toilet paper, noodles and soup sell out at the stores.  

I'm hoping I can get back to Berlin sometime this Fall(?), but no telling with the way things are with the vaccine, borders, rules and whatever else.

S.

Yes. Before boarding in NY, my mom was asked for proof of first degree relationship to a resident of Germany (I'm her son, and a copy of my birth certificate, my passport, and my Anmeldebescheinigung were sufficient), demonstration of urgent need (which we provided in a letter in English and German - DM if you want the details because it's personal), and proof that she filled in the Digitale Einreiseanmeldung. She had a negative COVID test result from the day before departure (PCR - but I think other tests are accepted as well), but she was only required to show that upon arrival in Germany. That was it! She even got upgraded to premium economy on the 25% full plane.

7 hours ago, kaffeemitmilch said:

Wait, what? Does this work? Can my mom visit?

5 hours ago, Brockman said:

Yes. Before boarding in NY, my mom was asked for proof of first degree relationship to a resident of Germany (I'm her son, and a copy of my birth certificate, my passport, and my Anmeldebescheinigung were sufficient), demonstration of urgent need (which we provided in a letter in English and German - DM if you want the details because it's personal), and proof that she filled in the Digitale Einreiseanmeldung. She had a negative COVID test result from the day before departure (PCR - but I think other tests are accepted as well), but she was only required to show that upon arrival in Germany. That was it! She even got upgraded to premium economy on the 25% full plane.

Good for you :)

You're saying there was an urgent need to travel, though. I don't think we have that. We just want her and the grandkids to be able to see each other, especially since the boy is now almost 2 and she's missed most of that. Does that count? I'm not sure. My partner probably won't think so 😜

On 4/5/2021, 9:14:40, fraufruit said:

Fuck you.

If you can't get in the spirit of the thread which is having empathy and understanding with those of us who are sharing our stories, you don't belong here.

I have taken a lot of comfort in knowing that I am not alone.

Coronavirus extracted all the worst in people (both Querdenker and Coronahysteriker), but I am happy that you transformed your passive aggression into an active one: it is very bad for mental health to keep hate inside. 

Of course, you are not alone, but take care outside of the Internet: people become mentally unstable during lockdowns, better keep quiet for safety.

Back to the topic: I am a transnational family (4 countries in total) in times of pandemic and I belong here. Get over it that I am not going anywhere. 

11 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

Coronavirus extracted all the worst in people (both Querdenker and Coronahysteriker), but I am happy that you transformed your passive aggression into an active one: it is very bad for mental health to keep hate inside. 

Of course, you are not alone, but take care outside of the Internet: people become mentally unstable during lockdowns, better keep quiet for safety.

Back to the topic: I am a transnational family (4 countries in total) in times of pandemic and I belong here. Get over it that I am not going anywhere. 

I'm not sure it's brought out the worst in people, more scared them and allowed the fringes to have a common cause with which to talk to others.

They've always bene there, this virus has just given them something to hang their theories on. 

You would soon see a change in attitudes if the next mutation is far easier to catch and more deadly. No one would take part in demos saying it is a big conspiracy if the death the was 90%.

At least they wouldn't take part in a second one. 

On 02/04/2021, 18:52:13, VOV509V said:

I made it ! Ive just arrived back in Germany after 2 months in England. While it was very stressful and lots of time wasted with 2x quarantine, everything was straight forward. I went by car  via Rotterdam- Hull. I was worried about driving a British Reg car with an EU driving licence but I managed to get through without being stopped. I was very relieved to get on the ferry.  I needed a PCR test to get on the ferry and after some research I was advised tat the test centres at airports were the quickest and most efficient so I used Düsseldorf Airport test centre.

I had quarantine in the UK. I booked my car for an MOT on the morning of my first day of freedom and a Boris jab for the afternoon. Car sailed through MOT at a cost of 50 quid rather than the 4500 Euro Opel wanted to get it through a TÜV. 

Boris Jab also went OK and contrary to politicians promises, my head didn't explode. I was offered Boris -jab 2 for end of June so stayed just long enough to get it. Ive just checked in the mirror and there is still no sign of my head exploding.

Return journey was by air from Manchester to Düsseldorf. Requirements were a Covid Test before flight and online registration of my journey with the German Government. Luckily an Anotgen Quick test was OK so I booked that for the afternoon before flight. I had heard rumours of long waits so booked it for 3 hours before flight but as it happened everything went quickly.so required to have proof of residency and dont yet have the full biometric electronic residency card. Instead I have a temporary " Fiktionsbescheinigung  " and was worried about crossing the border with it , but as it turned out the airline and Border control accepted it without problem. All the documents were checked carefully. 

In summary, a whole lot of stress, but do-able. I wouldn't go through this for a holiday but for anyone with an important reason to travel I would say go for it.  It was a strange experience travelling in a pandemic. The airport is normally packed but was like a ghost town with most shops shut and for the first time ever, no queue at security. There were only about 20 passengers on the plane and all the others looked like students.  All in all it was a very surreal experience. Even airport vending machines were selling covid masks. It felt like I had woken up in the middle of a Hollywood disaster movie.