Berlin Corona Vaccinations

61 posts in this topic

Since the vaccination priorities seem to be changing on an almost daily basis and each Bundesland is doing its own thing, I thought that I'd start a thread for Berlin. This information only applies to those who are officially registered with Berlin as their Hauptwohnsitz

Berlin has opted to send residents eligible for a vaccine a letter by snail mail with a code that they can use to book an appointment either online or by phone. By now everyone over 80 should have received a letter as well as most of those between 70-79. 

Since Berlin is longer giving Astra Zeneca to those under 60, residents between 60-69 can phone a special hotline to book a vaccine appointment at the special Impfhotline 030/9028-2200. This number is only for appointments with Astra Zeneca. Appointments are available April 2nd - 6th in Tegel and April 2nd -11th in Tempelhof.

People with certain chronic illnesses are receiving as well the invitation independent of their age as long as they are adults.  The data is collected from the health insurance databases, so if you went to the doctor for something related to the illnesses in the list in 2020 or 2021 you will receive the invitation automatically.

9 minutes ago, Krieg said:

People with certain chronic illnesses are receiving as well the invitation independent of their age as long as they are adults.  The data is collected from the health insurance databases, so if you went to the doctor for something related to the illnesses in the list in 2020 or 2021 you will receive the invitation automatically.

My understanding is that only publicly-insured individuals receive the invitation automatically. Those of us who, willingly or not, are privately insured have to request an invitation from their doctor or insurance company. I'd love to be corrected on this point.

1 hour ago, Krieg said:

That is a different exception. AFAIK the KV Berlin has already sent out codes to all publicly insured Berlin residents with certain chronic illnesses between 65 -69. They've now started sending out letters to patients between 16-64, but they are staggering the letters so that (theoretically) they won't have too many people all trying at the same time to book appointments. 

There are also other ways to get priority access:

- pregnant women are allowed to provide the name of 2 close personal contacts to their ObGyn. The doctor will then organise the codes.

- patients over 70 who do not live in a care home, but are classified as Pflegebedürftig can also obtain codes for 2 caregivers

- German citizens over the age of 18 can volunteer to help out at the elections in September 

I have received my code, but the earliest non-AZ date is in June. So even if you receive an invitation, it will be a while before you can get it.

Interesting. My wife is an Erzieherin so is lined up for her first shot in three weeks time (Biontech). Otherwise AFAIK none of our friends or acquaintances in our age group (late 50s) have heard anything yet.

5 minutes ago, john_b said:

Interesting. My wife is an Erzieherin so is lined up for her first shot in three weeks time (Biontech). Otherwise AFAIK none of our friends or acquaintances in our age group (late 50s) have heard anything yet.

Your age cohort is not eligible yet unless you have certain pre-existing conditions, meet certain special criteria (see examples above), or like your wife work in certain occupations. 

If it's not an impertinent question, I'd be curious to hear from @evildudette what category she is in that meant that she already received an invitation.

My husband is a teacher and got his invite already (40 years old) and has already scheduled his appointments. Keep checking the website once you have your code. It changed about 4 different times while he was in the middle of booking his appointments 🙄

Apologies for the selfish-nature of this query; I am 47 year old non-German male accountant employee (TKK registered). When should I (1) expect to receive a vaccination-notification (2) actually be vaccinated?

3 hours ago, John Bull said:

Apologies for the selfish-nature of this query; I am 47 year old non-German male accountant employee (TKK registered). When should I (1) expect to receive a vaccination-notification (2) actually be vaccinated?

Unless you are a named companion of someone in a higher priority group or you have a existing medical condition that puts you in a higher group, you will be in Group 4, which is the last group to be vaccinated. As to when you will be notified and vaccinated no-one really knows. They are targeting everyone to be offered a jab by 21st September but whether this happens or not will depend on whether the vaccine companies deliver the amount of vaccines they are expected to and how many people can be vaccinated each day.

I'm in a similar position in Group 4 and if I get both vaccinations by the end of this year, I will consider it a bonus. I am not too sure where we are up to at the moment and whether everyone in Group 1 has been vaccinated yet.

The priority groups are available at https://www.bundesregierung.de/breg-de/themen/corona-informationen-impfung/corona-impfverordnung-1829940

12 hours ago, warsteiner70 said:

That's a useful link - FWIW it turns out that a medical condition puts me in Group 3.

Apparently there's nothing that you can actively do other than wait for a postal invitation from the Senatsverwaltung für Gesundheit, Pflege und Gleichstellung. However there is an online calculator that indicates the period you are supposed to receive the first and second jab according to what group you are in according to a list of factors.

https://www.omnicalculator.com/health/impfterminrechner

Heard the following from a friend here in Berlin, but have yet to try it.

Basically he claims that as Hausärzte are now vaccinating in their surgeries (albeit in relatively small numbers per week) you can ring and ask to be put on a waiting list to jump in at short notice for last-minute cancellations, people who fail to turn up for their appointments.

Anyone else heard of this? Have to say I'm rather sceptical. At the very least you would have to be in a Group higher than 4 to qualify IMO and my feeling is that the GPs probably have compiled their own priority lists.

12 minutes ago, john_b said:

Heard the following from a friend here in Berlin, but have yet to try it.

Basically he claims that as Hausärzte are now vaccinating in their surgeries (albeit in relatively small numbers per week) you can ring and ask to be put on a waiting list to jump in at short notice for last-minute cancellations, people who fail to turn up for their appointments.

Anyone else heard of this? Have to say I'm rather sceptical. At the very least you would have to be in a Group higher than 4 to qualify IMO and my feeling is that the GPs probably have compiled their own priority lists.

I think most of this is wishful thinking by people who want the vaccine soon and underestimate how many people are in front of them.

I checked my doctors website. They've instructed patients to send an email requesting a vaccination and include the chronic illnesses in the email (I'm assuming that this is just to make sorting the emails easier and they'll verify the info in the patient files). They've also said that they are no longer taking any more patients for the waiting list who are not in one of the priority groups because they have too many patient requests and not enough vaccines (about 20 doses per week). My doctor's office has specifically requested patients NOT call the practice. 

Inclined to agree with you on this subject @engelchen.

Now if my GP even had a website, that would be real progress!

Last week I rang my house doctor here in Berlin and he said he put my wife and I (early-40s, no major medical conditions) on his waiting list, and said he would call us if someone cancels or doesn't show up - he said at that time there were 8 other people like us on his waiting list. He told me we should keep an eye for his call on Wednesdays and Fridays, as those are the days he vaccinates, and then be ready to come straight away, as if he does not reach us, he'll call the next people on the list. He also said he expects us to be vaccinated by end of June, regardless of the waiting list. Fingers crossed.

On 01/04/2021, 08:42:02, engelchen said:

Since the vaccination priorities seem to be changing on an almost daily basis and each Bundesland is doing its own thing, I thought that I'd start a thread for Berlin. This information only applies to those who are officially registered with Berlin as their Hauptwohnsitz

Berlin has opted to send residents eligible for a vaccine a letter by snail mail with a code that they can use to book an appointment either online or by phone. By now everyone over 80 should have received a letter as well as most of those between 70-79. 

Since Berlin is longer giving Astra Zeneca to those under 60, residents between 60-69 can phone a special hotline to book a vaccine appointment at the special Impfhotline 030/9028-2200. This number is only for appointments with Astra Zeneca. Appointments are available April 2nd - 6th in Tegel and April 2nd -11th in Tempelhof.

Thanks @engelchen for starting this thread. Much appreciated :rolleyes: