Robot lawnmower

34 posts in this topic

@ Kreig 

Not true in my case... just about to tidy the car out and vacuum it then once the sun has buggeredoff a bit.. its "out with the tractor mower!!"     Its my "Chill time! 

4 hours ago, dstanners said:

Perhaps you weren't driving it quickly enough, or don't have enough obstacles in the garden? I'm four years in, and it still puts a grin on my face...perhaps I'm just easily pleased...

I understand the grin....

Still, I'm glad my neighbors don't all have such a loud, tractor like machine. Keeps the afternoons and weekends quieter.

We also have a tractor mower as our plot is over 5000 sq. metres.  It mulches too, so we don't have to put the grass on the compost.  I don't think our garden would be suited to a robot mower as it has quite a few hilly bits and is divided into separate areas.  As for the noise, the man who sold us the house says it used to take him 5 hours to mow the lawns.  When we told him that it took us around an hour with the tractor mower I think he sorely regretted not having bought one.  Also, I don't think it is that much noisier than a regular mower but one hour of the tractor is better than 5 of a normal mower.  We also have a trailer that attaches, which is helpful for transporting stuff around the garden and this year we bought an attachment that sweeps up and collects the leaves.  We have a lot of trees in our garden, plus our neighbours have trees overhanging our garden.  I used to not see my husband in Autumn as he would spend all his time in the garden collecting leaves.  This year we got it done in a couple of evenings.  Plus it is fun, even though we have had it for 8 years now.

6 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

My neighbour has one and to me his grass is cut too short, despite being on the setting with higher cut. Is that a problem? My understanding is that grass should not be so short to prevent weeds, etc.

Everyone will tell you something different.  And it depends on the type of the grass.   My opinion if that if you are fighting weeds and moot if is better to keep it short because weed grows faster than your grass.  And if your grass looks like the head of a guy in his 50s going bald, then it is definitely not good to keep it long.   

For "sports" grass, you can go really low, and for other types of grass I think no lower than 5 cms.  But as I said, everyone thinks different.  Even two gardeners will tell you two different things.

From what I've seen, everyone that bought a robo-mower saw an improvement in the grass health in the next months, due to the clippings.  If only robo-mowers would leave the lawn mower mark lines ...

Professional landscaper here weighing in:

Do it.  Totally worth the money, and you can install it yourself if you're halfway handy.  You get way better lawn results because it suits the grass plant's biology better than mowing it yourself on the round tuit plan.

I recommend this to all of my customers - the results speak for themselves.

@kapokanadensis

Thanks. Price difference between cheap and expensive ones seem pretty huge to me, even without going to the Professional ones. Can you comment?

@Gambatte This thing is going to run nearly every day in all kinds of weather, and hopefully for years to come.  Buy a quality product.  I install Husqvarna for my customers and have had nothing but good experiences with them.  They last.  Gardena is owned by Husqvarna and uses the same system if you can get it cheaper.

Look at it this way - how much do you earn per hour at your job?  How many hours a year do you spend mowing your lawn - including setting up and cleaning up?  Is your free time worth more or less than your work time to you?  You'll find that even a more expensive quality device will pay for itself in a year or two, not to mention the better condition of your lawn which brings aesthetic benefits too.

2 hours ago, kapokanadensis said:

How many hours a year do you spend mowing your lawn - including setting up and cleaning up? 

And schlepping and filling up your gas canister.

Takes 45 seconds to blast out the mulched soggy grass etc from the "Mähwerk" with the compressed  air line...

I get a fresh can of gas whenever the thing is empty....   so always have plenty of fuel around for strimmers etc... 

When the canister is empty, I put in the car and fill it up when I fill the car ...  

On 3/31/2021, 5:05:43, SpiderPig said:

Over expaensive?    1500€?  too expensive?

How much do you think a decent Husqvana will cost with installation?

Only last week I repaired my neighbours robot... it was 4 hrs work at 50e per hour... 

Perimeter wires and the middle "Trace cable" take ages to install and ages to faultfind if you dont know where the joints are burried!

I think you should sell this house of yours, you clearly dont like the work it brings you...

Thank fook we're not neighbours. 50 Euros an hour. No personality and not rich enough. Not the neighbours. Don't respond I'll go and fuck myself hahahahaha. 

not sure where your problem is...

Husqvana had told him to find a repair firm and they sent him 500€ to do so!

Not sure why you are stalking me... 

4 hours ago, kapokanadensis said:

Professional landscaper here weighing in:

A bit unrelated, but can you recommend a good way to de-thacht? Should I rent some equipment from baumarkt or is there a good rake you could recommend?

I reckon any rake will do...  but if there is lots of moisture and shaddow... Moss will grow..  

Hard work does pay off...   

BTW...  Robo mowers do encourage moss growth..