Robot lawnmower

34 posts in this topic

I love taking care of our garden. But hey, it takes always a very huge amount of time that maybe I better invest doing something else. So, I'm considering buying a robot lawnmower. But they are very expensive. 
You have one? Comments?

If you have room for one, get yourself a ride on mower/mini tractor. It may not speed up the gardening: in fact, if you have kids it makes it quite a bit slower as everyone wants a turn, but it makes it more enjoyable. I know a few folk with a robot lawnmower, and the ones who like them most have fairly decent lawns and tidy gardens. The robots don't like big divots or kids' toys/gardening stuff lying around. I was having a drink with a friend when suddenly his wife's gardening gloves were sprayed up over us like confetti.

They can deal with good sized gardens these days (the one I mentioned earlier is about 3000m), but you have to dig a trench on the edges of the garden to bury the cable first, so there's a fair bit of initial work if you have a large garden. Oh, and the folk around here seem to charge them using solar too, which makes sense.

1 hour ago, dstanners said:

If you have room for one, get yourself a ride on mower/mini tractor. It may not speed up the gardening: in fact, if you have kids it makes it quite a bit slower as everyone wants a turn, but it makes it more enjoyable. I know a few folk with a robot lawnmower, and the ones who like them most have fairly decent lawns and tidy gardens. The robots don't like big divots or kids' toys/gardening stuff lying around. I was having a drink with a friend when suddenly his wife's gardening gloves were sprayed up over us like confetti.

They can deal with good sized gardens these days (the one I mentioned earlier is about 3000m), but you have to dig a trench on the edges of the garden to bury the cable first, so there's a fair bit of initial work if you have a large garden. Oh, and the folk around here seem to charge them using solar too, which makes sense.

That must been a very old robot.   The current ones have safety measures to they do not destroy things, the blades are not fix, they rotate and when they hit something hard they simply spin and do not cut.   And they have anti collision systems, so they do not hit anything in the way.   And the boundary cable does not have to be buried, they come with hooks (similar to camping tent pegs) so you can just lay them around (actually if you want to bury them you should not do it until you have tested everything works for some time so you are completely sure).

We have one.  It’s nice, although our yard is small enough that a regular mower is more practical.  Also, our dog broke the boundary wire, so we have to fix that before we can mow.  I wanted to redo the boundary anyway, but that is a pesky chore.  But I do like that it’s very quiet and runs on clean energy. 

33 minutes ago, knotheadusc said:

We have one.

I'm curious, which one do you have and would you recommend it?

We run with a Husqvarna for 5 years now.

The border cable is buried - fitted by the installation team. Perimeter of the lawn is ok, but running the wire around the fire area was a pain. (No raised curbstones). 

We have wires leading to different lawn areas. Mower chooses an area at random and eventually finds its way back to the charger.

Thought about a sit on tractor type but now the kids are no longer here, I'd have to mow anyway. The robot runs a few hrs each day.

I bought a circuit tester to find any breaks in the border wire. Happens when we have several helpers on garden day (no matter how often I earn them)

Autumn is a pain as it doesn't like the leaves and twigs. 

Some say the regular mowing scares the miles away. But we must have extra  brave moleys...

Has a problem if washing blows off the line. Some clothing was damaged over the years. Maybe new ones are more sensitive. 

Saves on the back breaking task of collecting lawn cuttings and dumping them on the compost.

New Akku last year

2 hours ago, dstanners said:

If you have room for one, get yourself a ride on mower/mini tractor.

No, thanks, our garden is very big by most standard but these mini tractors are mega big and expensive, and for us overkillers.

But I agree they seem a lot of fun!

48 minutes ago, Krieg said:

And they have anti collision systems, so they do not hit anything in the way.

Stupid question warning - Do they stop or go around the obstruction?

I don't even have a garden but I think those things are cool. Similar to my robo vacuum. 

More question:

what is the difference within a family of mowers from the same series, which at first seem identical, just they offer different specificiation for max lawn area?

Just the length of the cable? For sure it's not the battery capacity, often different lawn area are specced with identical battery capacity.

Price difference seem very big just for cable a bit longer or shorter.

Over expaensive?    1500€?  too expensive?

How much do you think a decent Husqvana will cost with installation?

Only last week I repaired my neighbours robot... it was 4 hrs work at 50e per hour.... 

Perimeter wires and the middle "Trace cable" take ages to install and ages to faultfind if you dont know where the joints are burried!

I think you should sell this house of yours, you clearly dont like the work it brings you...

12 minutes ago, Gambatte said:

I'm curious, which one do you have and would you recommend it?

We have the McCulloch 600, I think.

Here’s a video I made of it.  It works fine and is easy to use, as long as everything is properly connected.  Looks like Amazon isn’t selling it anymore.  It will be even better when the boundary is redone.  

https://youtu.be/yOZK7oJsrbA

1 hour ago, fraufruit said:

I don't even have a garden but I think those things are cool. Similar to my robo vacuum. 

Ours just bumps and reverses. Then, 30° shift left or right, and try again.

Not infrared sensors.

Sloping perimeter stones (eg around a flower bed) are a problem. The wire perimeter works best.

10 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

They bump into things and go another direction,  I also like ours because it’s safe around the dogs. The blades are way under the mower.

15 hours ago, fraufruit said:

They will reverse a bit and turn and continue, the ones with sensors do not bump into anything, they stop before bumping.  One big thing robo-mowers are still missing is mapping, like robo-vacuums.    AFAIK all robo-mowers still follow a chaos algorithm to move around, like cheap robo-vacuums, but the more expensive robo-vacuums implement a mapping of the room and make smarter choices.

The most important benefit of the robo-mower is that it keeps the grass at the same length and the cripplings stay there so they massively help to feed and improve your grass.  (Of course this can be achieved manually too, but it is lots of work).

3 minutes ago, Krieg said:

(Of course this can be achieved manually too, but it is lots of work).

Not on a feckin big ride on mower it isnt!!   :lol:

My neighbour has one and to me his grass is cut too short, despite being on the setting with higher cut. Is that a problem? My understanding is that grass should not be so short to prevent weeds, etc.

16 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

Not on a feckin big ride on mower it isnt!!   :lol:

The mini-tractor-mower fun wears off quite fast.  To keep the grass in the same way the robo-mower does it you have to cut it every second day.

40 minutes ago, Krieg said:

The mini-tractor-mower fun wears off quite fast.

Perhaps you weren't driving it quickly enough, or don't have enough obstacles in the garden? I'm four years in, and it still puts a grin on my face...perhaps I'm just easily pleased...

Please make sure to look into which are safest for pets,  children and hedgehogs. Animal rescues seem to have lot of cases where even robots advertised as pet safe have caused horrific injuries. Esp if you run them at dusk/ during the night when hedgehogs are out.  

Don't just believe the manufacture's claims, spread your research a bit broader