Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Car scrapping

7 posts in this topic

Ok got an old 2000 silver Golf MK 4 RHD - works ok TUV coming up in November

Couple of issues with it so either looking to sell - probably for parts.

Issues are the front passenger window - runner issue - have the parts to fix 

Battery draw

Pretty new Tyers

Realise this is of limited appeal but I either try to sell it, for parts otherwise - 

so how does one go about selling parts or scrapping it here ? 

With my old car I put a (very) honest advert on kleinanzeigen and it sold within a couple of days. I listed EVERY tiny thing wrong with it and a disclaimer that there would be other things I had forgotten, and with the heading of for bastler oder masochist so that there was no way they could dispute anything!

You can put it on eBay Kleinanzeigen. If nobody wants it, there are businesses that will possibly pick it up for free.  Otherwise you could take it to a scrapyard. 

If you sell it, make sure you get a sales contract listing all its problems and a photo of the buyers ID. 

A friend of mine was doing this a few months back. The companies that were picking up for free were not willing to take his car, too old, or didn't have partners in the area to pick it up. The scrapyard would take it for free but he'd have to bring it. Car wasn't running. We put it on eBay for free and found a guy who picked it up. 2-3 months later he got a letter from police saying they picked up some guy in his car with fake plates, no insurance and no license. Because he had the sales contract and photo of buyers ID he sent them that.

13 hours ago, SusieT said:

With my old car I put a (very) honest advert on kleinanzeigen and it sold within a couple of days. I listed EVERY tiny thing wrong with it and a disclaimer that there would be other things I had forgotten, and with the heading of for bastler oder masochist so that there was no way they could dispute anything!

Susie  great advice any chance you could email an example of the disclaimer ? 

13 hours ago, LeonG said:

You can put it on eBay Kleinanzeigen. If nobody wants it, there are businesses that will possibly pick it up for free.  Otherwise you could take it to a scrapyard. 

If you sell it, make sure you get a sales contract listing all its problems and a photo of the buyers ID. 

A friend of mine was doing this a few months back. The companies that were picking up for free were not willing to take his car, too old, or didn't have partners in the area to pick it up. The scrapyard would take it for free but he'd have to bring it. Car wasn't running. We put it on eBay for free and found a guy who picked it up. 2-3 months later he got a letter from police saying they picked up some guy in his car with fake plates, no insurance and no license. Because he had the sales contract and photo of buyers ID he sent them that.

Great advice - I am reluctant to get rid of it but see little point in having it - I think ebay may be a good idea thanks 

You'd probably make most money selling it for spares, but you'd end up spending ages selling the different bits, and may end up being left with an unwieldly chuck of non-moveable metal at the end. Think how much your time is worth. 

A quick and easy option is mobile.de's private sale to trade. Chuck the car details in, and local trade buyers will get in touch. Expect to haggle when you get there, given your car has more issues than they might expect (I imagine it'll be going straight to export anyway).

https://www.mobile.de/verkaufen/a/fahrzeug/start?i=c2b

3 hours ago, ramrod said:

Susie  great advice any chance you could email an example of the disclaimer ? 

It was something along the lines of 
Meine einzige Garantie ist, dass es andere fehler geben wird, die ich vergessen habe.