Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Moving to Stuttgart, big mistake, boring ?

60 posts in this topic

If you have lived in Berlin and want to move to Stuttgart then put your watch back by thirty years, heck, sixty years, even the eighties in deep Bavarian-Congo were livelier than聽Stuttgart in the 21st century. They eat their dead, it麓s a place where聽family trees look like a pruned yucca and a virgin聽is a girl that can run faster with her skirts up than her uncle can with his pants down.

Did they put their watch forward an hour in Stuttgart today?馃槀

Just now, john g. said:

Did they put their watch forward an hour in Stuttgart today?馃槀

It took them ages to get the sundial turned.

13 hours ago, slammer said:

If you have lived in Berlin and want to move to Stuttgart then put your watch back by thirty years, heck, sixty years, even the eighties in deep Bavarian-Congo were livelier than聽Stuttgart in the 21st century. They eat their dead, it麓s a place where聽family trees look like a pruned yucca and a virgin聽is a girl that can run faster with her skirts up than her uncle can with his pants down.

It's true about turning back time lol. I was in Stuttgart but for one night only. It was 2016. I visited a friend and I can recall how dead the city was. I didn't tell him that because he chose to live there. He did it because jobs were 100000% easier to find and better paid than in Berlin.

But he had to choose.

The day after and during the daylight, it was... still dead. I said to myself I am so glad I don't live in Stuttgart. It feels like any other village in the world out there. But who am I to judge by visiting for just one day and one night.

In many posts, people kept saying one common thing " By driving a bit further away you'll find..." NO, I don't want to drive 2 hours away, I don't want to visit France or Switzerland every time I want to go out walking down the street. I don't want to see what's NOT in Stuttgart.

I said I was planning to live there, why do they keep sugarcoating it by mentioning things OUTSIDE of where I said?

That's a clue, after all. It must be boring in Stuttgart. I expect people who are born there to defend their place like no tomorrow. That's typical in any place on planet earth.

I lived in Stuttgart for a couple of years in the 90s, and frequently used to spend a few weeks at a time there for work about 10 years ago. As people have said, the areas around Stuttgart are nice, but I actually enjoyed the city itself too (I lived in the City centre). Clearly, it is not Berlin/London/Paris, but that's聽not comparing apples with apples. We're talking about a larger than average, regional city: so not hugely cosmopolitan and the cultural/nightlife offerings reflect that.聽There are places you can go for a late drink聽once you get to know the city, some good places to eat, a decent art gallery (Neuestaatsgalerie)聽and theatre (the latter two are of some international repute). Their version of Oktoberfest is also entertaining聽if you like German beer festivals.

It is not "edgy", if that's your thing, instead it is clean and wealthy, which has advantages too.

It doesn't have the reputation as the friendliest place, although I didn't find it unfriendly. The main point (and I think one of the main reasons people find it unfriendly), is that it is not a very international city, so you need to speak German to get on...ideally with the local dialect.聽Oh, once you've got the hang of the local dialect though, good luck getting rid of it: it took me about 10 years of living with my Cologne-born wife before my accent changed.聽聽

聽聽

7 minutes ago, dstanners said:

I lived in Stuttgart for a couple of years in the 90s, and frequently used to spend a few weeks at a time there for work about 10 years ago. As people have said, the areas around Stuttgart are nice, but I actually enjoyed the city itself too (I lived in the City centre). Clearly, it is not Berlin/London/Paris, but that's聽not comparing apples with apples. We're talking about a larger than average, regional city: so not hugely cosmopolitan and the cultural/nightlife offerings reflect that.聽There are places you can go for a late drink聽once you get to know the city, some good places to eat, a decent art gallery (Neuestaatsgalerie)聽and theatre (the latter two are of some international repute). Their version of Oktoberfest is also entertaining聽if you like German beer festivals.

It is not "edgy", if that's your thing, instead it is clean and wealthy, which has advantages too.

It doesn't have the reputation as the friendliest place, although I didn't find it unfriendly. The main point (and I think one of the main reasons people find it unfriendly), is that it is not a very international city, so you need to speak German to get on...ideally with the local dialect.聽Oh, once you've got the hang of the local dialect though, good luck getting rid of it: it took me about 10 years of living with my Cologne-born wife before my accent changed.聽聽

聽聽

Thanks for the tip. I speak German and it took me a while to learn the language. In Berlin, I still have a problem with their accent. I expect Hochdeutsch or nothing. Any weird accent or dialect and it sounds Chinese in my ears. Like my teacher said, when you sit a language exam and use regional accents/expressions, you will fail because it's not considered to be German. I asked why and she said that it's just some language versions from uneducated monkeys back then who thought it's right to bend the language to its death.

It sounds like nightlife is very important to you, so I wouldn鈥檛 move to Stuttgart if I were you.聽

I lived in T眉bingen for a year, and I really liked it. Stuttgart was OK and I mainly went there to go shopping. This was about 20 years ago when there weren鈥檛 many shops in T眉bingen. Now it鈥檚 different.聽

Personally, in this climate, I would move for a job that would be good for my career. That鈥檚 just me, though. If I were younger, then I probably would put more emphasis on nightlife. But I鈥檓 done with that stage of my life.聽

On 27/03/2021, 11:50:08, Contourt said:

After 9 years in Berlin, I can't seem to like it anywhere else. I might even go against my own good, in this situation declining a good job in Stuttgart, to keep living a more satisfying life in Berlin, even though the job and the salary are mehhhhh.

Stuttgart was the first city in Germany in which I lived (it was a long time ago). I've been living in Berlin longer than you and聽I would move to Stuttgart if I found an amazing job (although I'd probably keep my apartment in Berlin until I was sure about the job).

What do you find so great about Berlin? What do you think you would miss? Do you want a career or are you happy as long as you can cover your expenses?聽

Underemployment will have a significant negative impact on your lifetime earnings.聽

12 minutes ago, engelchen said:

Stuttgart was the first city in Germany in which I lived (it was a long time ago). I've been living in Berlin longer than you and聽I would to Stuttgart if I found an amazing job (although I'd probably keep my apartment in Berlin until I was sure about the job).

What do you find so great about Berlin? What do you think you would miss? Do you want a career or are you happy as long as you can cover your expenses?聽

Underemployment will have a significant negative impact on your lifetime earnings.聽

I like Berlin for having the big city vibes. I have so many friends here, good friendships too, all foreigners of course but that doesn't disqualify them for being great people. Germans, even in Berlin, are not easy to approach, maybe for a small talk at the most.聽 The same problems get discussed by others too. But that's not the point now, is it?

Berlin is great, there are so many things you can do. In a 24/7 city, you feel the movement, the energy, the soul. Every corner has life, people, trillions of Cafeterias and bars. Thousands of interesting points within walking distance. Paradice for driving with the bicycle, the streets are always flat.

If I feel hungry at night, I get out, and within walking a few steps from my doorway. I have 24/7 grill houses, Sp盲ttis, so many beautiful parks, music on the street.

A feeling that it won't remind me of " I am Legend" with Will Smith when I go out.

Oh yes... now聽T眉bingen is an awesome town.聽 I used to live about ten聽minutes from there.聽 Loved it!聽聽

Most recently, we lived near Nagold, which kind of reminded me of a small version of T眉bingen without students.

Stuttgart is kind of industrial and homely.聽 We mainly went there to go to the dentist and have the occasional fancy meal... or attend concerts.聽 But we could find nice meals out in the villages, too.聽 I notice Wiesbaden, Mainz, and Frankfurt are a lot more international.聽聽

13 minutes ago, Contourt said:

Thanks for the tip. I speak German and it took me a while to learn the language. In Berlin, I still have a problem with their accent. I expect Hochdeutsch or nothing. Any weird accent or dialect and it sounds Chinese in my ears. Like my teacher said, when you sit a language exam and use regional accents/expressions, you will fail because it's not considered to be German. I asked why and she said that it's just some language versions from uneducated monkeys back then who thought it's right to bend the language to its death.

Uh, a language teacher said that? 馃槼.聽

I get what she means, but Schw盲bisch is used in a considerable part of the country as is Bayerisch.聽

If this person were teaching English, they would be all about only RP. Sorry, that isn鈥檛 a way to teach language.聽

2 minutes ago, knotheadusc said:

Oh yes... now聽T眉bingen is an awesome town.聽 I used to live about ten聽minutes from there.聽 Loved it!聽聽

Most recently, we lived near Nagold, which kind of reminded me of a small version of T眉bingen without students.

Stuttgart is kind of industrial and homely.聽 We mainly went there to go to the dentist and have the occasional fancy meal... or attend concerts.聽 But we could find nice meals out in the villages, too.聽 I notice Wiesbaden, Mainz, and Frankfurt are a lot more international.聽聽

Reutlingen?聽

I was os surprised when I visited T眉bingen a few years ago for the chocolate fest. There was a Dunkin鈥 Donuts in the old town!聽

And Frankfurt is a nice place to live. I come from NY originally, so the 鈥渃rime鈥 in Frankfurt is like nothing to me. It also does have a good nightlife. OP this might be something for you to consider.聽

3 minutes ago, klingklang77 said:

Uh, a language teacher said that? 馃槼.聽

I get what she means, but Schw盲bisch is used in a considerable part of the country as is Bayerisch.聽

If this person were teaching English, they would be all about only RP. Sorry, that isn鈥檛 a way to teach language.聽

But her accent was perfect. I mean, so clear and business. Nothing regional, nothing weird, nothing slang. Proper, Perfect, Crystal clear, Business German. It was like reading from a book. The same kind of expressions.

Regional accents and expressions you won't even find inside a dictionary kill a language. I admit that.

4 minutes ago, Contourt said:

I like Berlin for having the big city vibes.

Blimey, I could have quoted the whole message, but that's enough. Please ignore my previous comment: moving to Stuttgart doesn't sound like what you are after in life. At the moment.

I used to love living in London, these days, I love living聽in a small village聽in the Eifel, and can't imagine anything would make me want to live somewhere as big as Stuttgart!

Life changes. For example:

11 minutes ago, Contourt said:

you feel the movement, the energy, the soul

....makes me think of people arguing in the streets, the sound of god awful music and urinating in聽doorways.

I don't miss those days at all.

10 minutes ago, Contourt said:

聽I have so many friends here, good friendships too, all foreigners of course but that doesn't disqualify them for being great people. Germans, even in Berlin, are not easy to approach, maybe for a small talk at the most.聽

I actually have mostly German friends (which is why I have to hang out here for my English fix).

10 minutes ago, Contourt said:

Berlin is great, there are so many things you can do. In a 24/7 city, you feel the movement, the energy, the soul. Every corner has life, people, trillions of Cafeterias and bars. Thousands of interesting points within walking distance. Paradice for driving with the bicycle, the streets are always flat.

If I feel hungry at night, I get out, and within walking a few steps from my doorway. I have 24/7 grill houses, Sp盲ttis, so many beautiful parks, music on the street.

You are not talking about Berlin as a city, but rather your particular neighbourhood. I live in Berlin and although I have a huge park within walking distance, I don't have caf茅s nor bars (many grocery stores though). If I get hungry at night, I raid my fridge. My neighbourhood is boooooooooring!聽

Cycling in Stuttgart is a problem because it is in a valley and the inclines are steep. I doubt you could afford to live in the centre within walking distance of all night take-out.聽

13 minutes ago, Contourt said:

But her accent was perfect. I mean, so clear and business. Nothing regional, nothing weird, nothing slang. Proper, Perfect, Crystal clear, Business German. It was like reading from a book. The same kind of expressions.

Regional accents and expressions you won't even find inside a dictionary kill a language. I admit that.

Language is about communicating, not really about having a perfect accent. 馃う馃徎鈥嶁檧锔 I live in Bayern and I have a hard time communicating when I am out in the countryside or with my SO鈥檚 family. What good does my Hochdeutsch do in that situation? Not much. Sure they try to use Hochdeutsch around me, but it鈥榮 their home and can use whatever they want.聽

Unless you are a Linguist or something, I would concentrate on being able to communicate first and foremost. I teach English for a living and I usually concentrate of communication and major problems. The only time I really emphasize perfect English is for the Lehramt students as they will be teaching English in schools and need that for their Staatsexamen.聽

5 minutes ago, engelchen said:

Cycling in Stuttgart is a problem because it is in a valley and the inclines are steep. I doubt you could afford to live in the centre within walking distance of all night take-out.聽

This is how I drive to work and I love the experience every morning.

I almost decided to reject the job offer in Stuttgart.

15 minutes ago, dstanners said:

Blimey, I could have quoted the whole message, but that's enough. Please ignore my previous comment: moving to Stuttgart doesn't sound like what you are after in life. At the moment.

I used to love living in London, these days, I love living聽in a small village聽in the Eifel, and can't imagine anything would make me want to live somewhere as big as Stuttgart!

Life changes. For example:

...makes me think of people arguing in the streets, the sound of god awful music and urinating in聽doorways.

I don't miss those days at all.

Exactly. The OP seems to have gone off track and the thread has now become 鈥渨hy should I never leave Berlin when they have the perfect accent and the best nightlife?鈥.聽