Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Moving to Stuttgart, big mistake, boring ?

59 posts in this topic

Hello guys, I live in Berlin for the past 9 years. Recently I got offered a good Office Job in Stuttgart.

I keep wondering if I'm going to like it in a place like Stuttgart.

Many people told me that depression awaits, it's very boring, repetitive, and nothing in comparison to Berlin.

They keep warning me trying not to take the wrongest decision, that the "city" has no fire, no soul, no energy, no buzz, no vibe, no 24/7 mentality in comparison to Berlin and it's a huge mistake and that, money and a good job should not be the deciding factors here.

It's true that in Berlin there are people walking on the streets even at 3 or 4 o clock in the morning or even eat and order food at that time. No matter where you walk it's full of people.

In Stuttgart after four o'clock in the evening, you won't even see a bird landing on the street, so they say my friends who were born there, raised there, learned there, lived there, visited there. (Even pre-pandemic)

And they all wait for this long-awaited weekend to... go hiking? ewwwwwwwwwww (rentner style)

I await your responses.

Have not lived in either place, but visited both, Berlin many more times but still.  Much in the way your friends there describe it, Berlin has a lot of the buzz of a big European capital - at least it used to until all this mess started. Stuttgart is provincial by comparison. Stay in Berlin if the idea of living in any place like that turns you off. 

11 minutes ago, silty1 said:

Have not lived in either place, but visited both, Berlin many more times but still.  Much in the way your friends there describe it, Berlin has a lot of the buzz of a big European capital - at least it used to until all this mess started. Stuttgart is provincial by comparison. Stay in Berlin if the idea of living in any place like that turns you off. 

Even some friends from Düsseldorf told me like, "noooooooooooooo, not in Stutgart, boriiiiiing", and I have been in Düsseldorf and I found it "Dorf" but I haven't told them that of course.

The way they all describe it, Stuttgart seems like it is for people who are about to die and want a quiet place before their soul separates the body or for people who were born there so they are biased to tell you that it's nice. I feel sad because it's a great job that I got but I don't want to fall into depression from the stillness of the society there.

How important to your career is this job in Stuttgart?  Can you give it three years, then go work in a more exciting place with more experience later?  

17 minutes ago, silty1 said:

How important to your career is this job in Stuttgart?  Can you give it three years, then go work in a more exciting place with more experience later?  

That's how I thought of it. Job experience is important nowadays because competition is high and nowadays, more or less, everyone has a University degree and speaks 4 languages.

All this knowledge without experience and you can kiss the career goodbye while washing dishes and sweeping floors as an academic individual for a living.

Today it got even more difficult. They call it "Vernetzung" in Germany but in my country, they call it corruption because not the best takes the job. But Germans are first-class citizens so they would lose the "character" if they said that they found a job through corruption. So they found this schöneres Wort, Vernetzung. It sounds so elite like Germans are.

Anyway...

This is how I found this position, through Vernetzung, and it's a good one. But can I waste three years of my life at the so-called cemetery like Stuttgart?

If you don't you'll always wonder. Although your comments about hikers are not promising. It won't only be about Stuttgart. It will also be about you. Finding the right people is so often a matter of pure luck. Or chemistry.

Is anywhere that is not New York, London or Berlin a cemetary?

Contacts, contacts, a universal phenomenon. Not just for the elite. Or Germany. Any club is better than none. Even Roman Catholicism will swing some stuff.

Finding out about a job opportunity through your social or professional connections is pretty normal, in Germany or anywhere else for that matter.  If you paid someone a kickback to get the job, that would be pretty corrupt, otherwise using your network is fair game.

7 minutes ago, Contourt said:

This is how I found this position, through Vernetzung, and it's a good one. But can I waste three years of my life at the so-called cemetery like Stuttgart?

The Germans also like to call it Vitamin B.

How old are you? How many years of experience in your field do you have? Are you currently employed? 

Just now, silty1 said:

Finding out about a job opportunity through your social or professional connections is pretty normal, in Germany or anywhere else for that matter.  If you paid someone a kickback to get the job, that would be pretty corrupt, otherwise using your network is fair game.

What about when politicians (mis)use their political power to put "their people" in positions in the civil service for which the candidates are not the best qualified? Keep in mind that in the public sector unlike the private sector there is a legal requirement to advertise most positions and choose the most qualified candidate.

I don't see any issue with the OP's use of the word corruption. 

5 minutes ago, engelchen said:

What about when politicians (mis)use their political power to put "their people" in positions in the civil service for which the candidates are not the best qualified? Keep in mind that in the public sector unlike the private sector there is a legal requirement to advertise most positions and choose the most qualified candidate.

I don't see any issue with the OP's use of the word corruption. 

That would qualify as corruption, sure - but I was not going on the assumption the OP is a politician.  

I think you've answered your own question. I feel like I've done Berlin. I've been there 6 or 7 times, I spent 3 weeks there at a language school in 2019 and that was more than enough noise and endless grafitti covered city streets for me. You have to travel miles to find a single hill, and then it turns out not even to be a real hill but one made out of rubble. I was offered a job there and I'm glad I didn't take it; definitely not for me.

Stuttgart has hills and forests and valleys covered with vineyards. It is slightly spoiled by someone putting Stuttgart in it of course, but at least it has those things. I do quite like it here, but I don't live in the city. I couldn't tell you what goes on at 4am as I've been in bed for 5 or 6 hours by then, but the one time I stayed in a hotel in the city centre it was annoyingly noisy late at night. it is a city of 600,000 people so it's not going to be dead, but it's obviously not Berlin. 

Of course much like Londoners Berliners think nothing else exists; or if it does exist isn't worth mentioning. If you subscribe to that you're not going to like it anywhere else.

4 minutes ago, Dembo said:

I think you've answered your own question. I feel like I've done Berlin. I've been there 6 or 7 times, I spent 3 weeks there at a language school in 2019 and that was more than enough noise and endless grafitti covered city streets for me. You have to travel miles to find a single hill, and then it turns out not even to be a real hill but one made out of rubble. I was offered a job there and I'm glad I didn't take it; definitely not for me.

Stuttgart has hills and forests and valleys covered with vineyards. It is slightly spoiled by someone putting Stuttgart in it of course, but at least it has those things. I do quite like it here, but I don't live in the city. I couldn't tell you what goes on at 4am as I've been in bed for 5 or 6 hours by then, but the one time I stayed in a hotel in the city centre it was annoyingly noisy late at night. it is a city of 600,000 people so it's not going to be dead, but it's obviously not Berlin. 

Of course much like Londoners Berliners think nothing else exists; or if it does exist isn't worth mentioning. If you subscribe to that you're not going to like it anywhere else.

4 minutes ago, Dembo said:

You said it. After 9 years in Berlin, I can't seem to like it anywhere else. I might even go against my own good, in this situation declining a good job in Stuttgart, to keep living a more satisfying life in Berlin, even though the job and the salary are mehhhhh.

33 minutes ago, silty1 said:

That would qualify as corruption, sure - but I was not going on the assumption the OP is a politician.  

Neither was I. Although I was thinking be could a researcher in at a public institution. 

I lived in the Stuttgart area in two stints-- for two years 07-09 and for four years 14-18.  I mostly enjoyed living there, but Swabia is a "special" part of Germany.  I have heard this from Germans themselves.  We are now in Wiesbaden and there are things about Stuttgart we miss... like the areas around it.  You're near the Black Forest, which is extremely beautiful, and there are a lot of cool towns nearby, like Esslingen, Nagold, and Tubingen.  And while people in that area can be either very reserved or "in your face", you get used to it.  

That being said, we don't miss the horrendous traffic at all.  Wiesbaden is also kind of nice because people here seem to be a lot more laid back.  I'm glad we moved up here, but I didn't mind Stuttgart at all.  I wouldn't say no to moving back there, although I'm not pining for it like I did when we moved away in 2009.

Stuttgart is a rich Provincial city. Home to Porsche and Mercedes. it is full of people who think it is the best place in the world and look down on those who are not from there. Personally, I found it soulless and rather  snobbish and reserved, but the surrounding countryside is beautiful and well located if you like to travel further afield. It is what it is. It´ll never be Berlin and it´ll never be considered hip outside of Baden.Württemberg, and the traffic sucks.

17 minutes ago, jimmycoffee said:

it´ll never be considered hip outside of Baden.Württemberg

When I lived in Frankfurt, a common thing people did was visit Heidelberg. No-one ever seemed to mention visiting Stuttgart, aside from the two car museums. 

I've lived in Berlin and visited Stuttgart a few times. Tow totally different cities and depending on what you are comparing, it's apples and oranges, both fruit, but different.

If you love living in berlin, or even just like the size, the activity, the who general feel of a big European city, you are going to have to feel that way about the things that make a smaller provincial city special or you are gong to dislike it at best.

Both will have their things that appeal to people, it's not that different to why you choose to live where you do in berlin. if you like big city party areas, you don't go and live up in Falkenberg but if you like to be able to head out in to the woods quickly, you do not live at Alexanderplatz etc.

I'm happy in both areas, I've loved the inner city berlin life, and I like the not inner-city life.  Where I can't live is the real out of the way provincial city. The Mrs comes from a city (actually it's a town, and a small one at that) where the kabab shops are closed after 9pm, on Fridays and Saturdays. Actually, you are pushing your luck if you wat until 8pm..

3 hours ago, knotheadusc said:

but Swabia is a "special" part of Germany

Yes - and the folks are difficult to understand - even when they try to speak Hochdeutsch.

I've had several flying holidays in the schwäbische Alb.  Great scenery, fantastic area to fly over as long as the weather plays ball (which it often did not).

Managed the longest cross-country flight ever from Blaubeuren.

Some of the food is delicious but they also do eat some very strange things.

I take my 'entertainment' with me and usually find it in the people I meet.  I've lived in many places and worked in many more and never lacked for things of interest no matter where I am.