Parcels from UK shops online

8 posts in this topic

I know this topic comes up now and again, but I'm looking for specific experiences without any political commentary.

Has anyone ordered stuff recently? How did it go? 

There's a small British company making unique printed muslin sheets and blankets and such (for a relative having a baby in the summer). I've ordered from them pre-Brexit for my own rugrat, but hemming and hawing with the current charges and delays. (Not urgent, but don't want to wait forever.) After receiving, I'd send it with a couple other things back across the ocean, but that's my expense so whatever.

I know 19% VAT can apply over €22. Curious about 'processing fees' being applied or wait times...

It depends on the shop. Some haven’t adapted to the new paperwork yet and so have stopped selling to Europe. It’s happened to a guy I work with trying to order some speciality parts from a shop in England. 

If the shop is OK to ship then delivery times and ease of additional payments depends on the courier being used. UPS and DPD are really struggling with customs clearance apparently. 

Somebody sent me something via Royal Mail which ended up in the Zollamt. I had the option of paying Deutsche Post €28 to fill out the Zoll forms or I could do it myself. I did it myself and could pick the parcel up from the Zollamt the next day. It was a low value gift with no fees, duty or tax to pay. The paperwork on the box appeared to be correct and on the form I filled in I just put exactly the same info. When I picked the parcel up I asked if the sender had filled something wrong or why they needed the exact same info again, so that we could avoid it happening again and the lady just said “keine Ahnung, Brexit“.  

So in conclusion - it depends. 

If it is from outside the EU, worth over 22 Euros and attracts customs duty then DHL will charge you 6 Euros on top of customs to deliver it. I just got a parcel from the UK, work 65 pounds, customs 6 Euros, delivery 6 Euros. 12 Euros for 65 pounds. Hmmmm.

I ordered from this shop here

https://www.britishcornershop.co.uk/

I receieved my order yesterday! It felt like christmas day! The delivery took around 14 days but it was well worth the wait. There were no problems at all as the company had sorted everything out before hand! So just like a normal order it arrived on my doorstep. I am a very happy bunny :)

11 minutes ago, Anna66 said:

I receieved my order yesterday! It felt like christmas day! The delivery took around 14 days but it was well worth the wait. There were no problems at all as the company had sorted everything out before hand! So just like a normal order it arrived on my doorstep. I am a very happy bunny :)

I've ordered from them a few times, very uncomplicated

Good to see some British businesses are getting their act together, thanks for the tip and link.:D

1 hour ago, Anna66 said:

1 hour ago, Tap said:

I've ordered from them a few times, very uncomplicated

Ordered some stuff in November got it in Feb.

Was told originally would be delivered by xmas then got email saying due to xmas rush etc will be 1st week in Jan.

In Jan got email from DPD saying it had been picked up and was at there warehouse.

Then absolutely nothing for 2 weeks,parcel tracking showed it as still being in their UK warehouse.

End of Jan got email from shop that DPD would not deliver any parcels to the EU.

Middle of Feb got an email from shop that blah blah and DHL would be delivering my parcel.

Next email was they thought I should pay the extra duty etc etc which was about 20 euro.There was no way I was paying that as I had ordered in Nov specifically to receive it before xmas and Brexit.

Anyway then get another email saying they wouldn´t charge me the extra duty.

Next day yet another email saying as I was such a good customer that I wouldn´t have to pay the additional delivery fee that it is costing them because DHL had taken over halfway through from DPD.

I will not be ordering from them again.