work contract, stress, sick leave

14 posts in this topic

My work contract is ending soon. The company is somehow playing with me. Before they told me they will extend my contract and later said no. Then I tried to look for another position in the company. After giving a trial work for the new position they informed me they are looking for someone with more experience although my trial work waa good. My visa depends on the contract. And unfortunately I have very little time in hand to find a new job. I am both mentally and physically devastated. I have gastritis for a long time and because of stress I am feeling more sick. I feel like I am not fit for work in this condition. I already gave a krankmeldung for three days. If I extend it could it be a problem? As I feel in this situation I can't give my 100 percent performance. 

It's your right to take time off if you are sick.  The employer can not do anything about that.  If you think there's a chance that they might extend your contract, then being sick will not help your case.  However, if you think they are not going to, then you might as well take the time off.

2 hours ago, LeonG said:

It's your right to take time off if you are sick.  The employer can not do anything about that.  If you think there's a chance that they might extend your contract, then being sick will not help your case.  However, if you think they are not going to, then you might as well take the time off.

i don't think there is a chance. they have already informed me that the contract will not be extended.

2 hours ago, LeonG said:

2 hours ago, LeonG said:

4 hours ago, sonalidu said:

i don't think there is a chance. they have already informed me that the contract will not be extended.

In that case ask for your reference letter and better wait calling in sick until you have it.

11 hours ago, sonalidu said:

I feel like I am not fit for work in this condition. I already gave a krankmeldung for three days.

He is already out sick @jeba

13 hours ago, jeba said:

In that case ask for your reference letter and better wait calling in sick until you have it.

I have already taken sick leave. do you think it reduces my chances of getting reference letter?

13 hours ago, jeba said:

8 hours ago, fraufruit said:

sick @jeba

6 minutes ago, sonalidu said:

I have already taken sick leave. do you think it reduces my chances of getting reference letter?

They can't refuse you a reference letter.  Just a question what it will say about you.  If you go back to work after your 3 sick days, your reference letter will probably look better than if you stay sick for a long time.

9 hours ago, sonalidu said:

I wholeheartedly agree to:

9 hours ago, LeonG said:

They can't refuse you a reference letter.  Just a question what it will say about you.  If you go back to work after your 3 sick days, your reference letter will probably look better than if you stay sick for a long time.

11 hours ago, LeonG said:

it sounds like I am doing this intentionally which is not. I don't want to give sick leave for two three weeks just the time I need to recover. 

18 minutes ago, sonalidu said:

it sounds like I am doing this intentionally which is not. I don't want to give sick leave for two three weeks just the time I need to recover. 

How long do you need to recover? When does your contract end?

39 minutes ago, sonalidu said:

You may not be doing it intentionally but your employer may see it differently. 

1 hour ago, engelchen said:

How long do you need to recover? When does your contract end?

it ends at the end of next month. I am not sure. Probably in two or three days I can go back to work again. But my main problem won't be solved and I think I won't fully recover from this crap. 

43 minutes ago, LeonG said:

You may not be doing it intentionally but your employer may see it differently. 

I have told them that this situation is too my stressful for me as the company is somehow responsible for it and I can't take it anymore and give my 100 percent. 

19 minutes ago, sonalidu said:

it ends at the end of next month. I am not sure. Probably in two or three days I can go back to work again. But my main problem won't be solved and I think I won't fully recover from this crap. 

You should definitely take the few days you need. Go to the doctor and get the certificate. Once you're feeling better go back to work, finish off your projects and hand them off. Document as much as possible as you can. If for some reason they give you an unfair letter you can fight it later, but don't worry about it now.

I think you are probably stressing yourself out over things that are not as important as you think they are. You should register at the Agentur für Arbeit ASAP (you can make the initial application online). As long as you have the funds, you can apply for a permit to look for a new job for 6 months.