Häcksler - Garden shredder

13 posts in this topic

I should probably buy a garden shredder. 

We have a huge garden. It produces lots of garden waste, too much too bulky to take it to the tip as it is, or to burn without having the neighbors complaining, or to leave it to turn into compost on its own.

You have a garden shredder? Comments? Price range 100-500 seem to be pretty huge...

Our Gardena 2300 is still going strong after 20 years of use: stored indoors , careful cleaning, oiling and sharpening of blade helps!

Edit:   I now see on Amazon  Gardena is no more??   Nevertheless, I  still say the price was worth it!   Good luck!

There are basically two types of Häcksler. Those with a blade and those with a rotating drum. I´d go for the latter because the blade will be stopped by jammed wood every few minutes.

No.. Again, thats incorrect info.... 

One is a chipper... the other is a shreader... 

So what´s the German word for chipper if it´s not a Häcksler?

This is an ENGLISH forum...     

But you cant get that through your skull, can you?

Its best if the Gambatte actually tells us what he is wanting to process then we could assist him better... 

1 hour ago, SpiderPig said:

This is an ENGLISH forum...     

▷ Gartenhäcksler im Test & Vergleich | FOCUS.de

▷ Gartenhäcksler Test & Vergleich 2021 | Netzvergleich (netzvergleiche.de)

Here are two comparisons. It does pay to pay for quality, I think (buy cheap = buy twice). But it also depends on what you want to use it for. I would suggest getting one that is a bit more powerful than what you absolutely need cause those max. diameter info they give are usually a bit on the optimistic side. 

I am guessing you would like an electric one? Those are the ones in the link. The petrol powered ones are a lot more expensive 
▷ Benzin-Häcksler Test & Vergleich 2021 | Netzvergleich (netzvergleiche.de)

We have a medium sized Bosch that is 15(?) years old and are very happy with it. 

2 hours ago, maxie said:

I would suggest getting one that is a bit more powerful than what you absolutely need cause those max. diameter info they give are usually a bit on the optimistic side.

Yup, we have two (we had a diensthaus with a large overgrown garden a good hour's drive away, so that's not as strange as it sounds) - they are both prone to jamming, sometimes with a fairly tame stick. Electric is easy to use and can be not too noisy if you look for a Leisehäcksler. One we bought from Hagebau for about 100 euro maybe 10 years ago, the other was second hand about 6 years ago - Royal Einhell 2541 - I haven't noticed a big difference in operation between them.

Our Kleingartenverein has a monstrous (LOUD) petrol driven one, and even so the thing chokes quite easily on middling sticks. It is much more of a pain to start it up each time after a jam. 

Overall, the things are a pain to use unless you are constantly vigilant about what you feed it, but the shredded stuff at the end is incredible when you think about getting rid of that amount of stickage, so they do a really worthwhile job. Maxie's comment about power is probably the big thing, along with noise and electricity not petrol.

Do not buy a chipper/shredder from a Baumarkt, they just aren't worth it, especially the electric ones.  You might get through one fresh twig at a time s-l-o-w-l-y, and it might do perennial stems for you too, but anything bigger just forget it.  I've got a Jansen 13 hp gas chipper - it's loud and stinky but goes through up to 10 cm thick branches - 2100 €, it's the cheapest decent chipper you can buy.  Anything less is a waste of money.  If that's too big, do what the others have suggested - rent one when you need it.  Most residential garden owners don't need one, do the odd dump run instead by borrowing your neighbour's trailer or filling up your kombi cargo space, municipal dumps let private garden owners dump for free.

Just spoke with my neighbor. He has an electric one that looks very cheap, he told me he paid 250 eur. He says it works very well.