Eligibility for Covid stimulus checks

29 posts in this topic

On 14.3.2021, 23:11:35, Lindsayj said:

Hi all,

I am curious how many American expats have received covid stimulus checks. I received the first check last year (delayed but I received it by mail in Germany). I have yet to receive the second stimulus check ($600) and I know the $1400 checks are just now being sent out. According to the IRS website, all the second-wave checks have been mailed out and you can't even check the status on those anymore. I guess it is possible the check still could be coming on the mail (mail is really slow right now between the US and Germany). But I am starting to lose hope. 

I file taxes every year (have not yet for 2020 - don't have enough information yet). Curious how many expats have received the checks effectively because of the German/US tax treaty and the ability to set off income nearly 1:1 (like with a Form 2555) + deductions, which results in little to no bottom line income in the US. I was surprised to receive the first check because had I earned my income in the US, I would not have been eligible to receive any Covid relief. But because my US income effectively nets out to $0 on my 1040, I guess it looks like I, or indeed most expats, are pretty poor. I am not complaining that I got my check - just wondering if the IRS considered that! Well...maybe for the second check they have! Anyone else out there get a check only essentially only because your bottom line 1040 nets out to a small number or $0?

Thanks! Would love to hear other experiences. 

we received our first check in 2020, sent to our home address in the US - it was an adventure to get that cashed :) we still had US source earned income in 2019. 

The second portion will (hopefully) be automatically deposited into our US checking account together with our 2020 tax refund within a few weeks. We use H&R software to do our annual tax return, and when we did that last weekend it asked, if we had received the first stimulus (and what amount) and then said we qualify for the second one too (even though we now only have foreign income) - and whether we'd like a check in the mail or direct deposit. Cool beans! I really hadn't counted on that.

*** Update ***

I received the third Covid check like a month ago. Strangely, I never got the second check (the $600 one). I was advised I have to try and get that via my 2020 tax return. Which I will do in my tax return (still have to file). I guess so long as the Government is just going to print monopoly money, for which I or my kids will have to pay the interest, I might as well get it. 

23 minutes ago, Lindsayj said:

*** Update ***

I received the third Covid check like a month ago. Strangely, I never got the second check (the $600 one). I was advised I have to try and get that via my 2020 tax return. Which I will do in my tax return (still have to file). I guess so long as the Government is just going to print monopoly money, for which I or my kids will have to pay the interest, I might as well get it. 

Have you searched the IRS site?

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment

Yes I checked that a number of times, but there was never any information given about the second, simply that there was no information beyond the 1st and 3rd. All I know is I never got it and it was not deposited directly. It is a mystery :rolleyes:

21 minutes ago, Lindsayj said:

Yes I checked that a number of times, but there was never any information given about the second, simply that there was no information beyond the 1st and 3rd. All I know is I never got it and it was not deposited directly. It is a mystery :rolleyes:

Economic Impact Payment Amounts

You can view the amount you received for EIP 1, EIP 2 or EIP 3 within your online account. You'll be required to provide additional information to verify your identity.

Economic Impact Payment 1 $818.95
Economic Impact Payment 2 $600.00
Economic Impact Payment 3 $1,400.00

I also didn't receive the $600 one. My tax preparer in the U.S. hooked me up for it to be direct deposited and for any future stimulus checks, refunds, etc. to be direct deposited. It has been some weeks now and the $600 hasn't shown up on my account. I contacted her and she said that the IRS is way behind right now with all of the stimulus money and their normal tax stuff. 

if you hang around for a while, Jeba, will be on here saying its unfair, that he has not had a cheque  yet, just because he is not American :P, he should be entailed to everything as a German and EU citizen, just like a choice of vaccine

Wanted to give an update on this topic. I received my first stimmy in April of 2020 when I was living in Mannheim. Then I moved to Munich and didn't forward my mail (my decision, don't need anyone's advice on that). I then never received the second or the third one that was mailed in 2021. I claimed number two on my 2020 taxes.

Then I got a letter in mail saying my 2020 return was adjusted to zero. I felt this was wrong so I called IRS for weeks (they suggest this in the mailed letter) and finally got thru. She said this was happening often. There was a software "glitch" that keeps adjusting returns that are supposed to get stimulus. She could see that check 2 was actually returned (I guess eventually Deutsche Post returned it). After 6 weeks, they will mail a new check to my new address. Success!

Since I had the IRS on the phone, I enquired about check 3. She ran a trace and she said if no one has cashed it, a new one will be mailed in 4 weeks. If for some crazy reason, someone did cash it, they send a packet on how to recoup it.

Overall, I am super pleased with these outcomes. Hope this can help someone else out as it's not always easy to navigate being abroad/taxes as an American!