Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Laser hair removal

10 posts in this topic

Hello , 

anyone knows any good laser hair removal salon or dermatologist that really works ? Tried one in the past but hair still standing ... 

i did a search in the forum but all the threads all way too old .. 

Hi, actually I have some knowledge about this (Krieg will grind his teeth :D ).

First, you have to be careful with your skin tone. Each skin tone requires different technologies. In extreme cases, dark skin tones can get a permanent burn.

Second, "laser" is not the right term. Sounds techy, but there are many hair removal options and laser is just one of them. Don't be fooled by thinking it's the best

Third, "IPL" (Pulsed light) is much more effective than laser for most skin tones. But it is also more painful.

Fourth, most of these techs require a good color contrast between hair and skin. A blond hair over a white skin won't work so well.

Fifth and most important: get professional help on this! Some people do this crap on the gym or on a crappy salon and then either results are crap or they get burned skin!

I can't point you to a good place. Back in Portugal I could point you to my father in law clinic (that's why I know about this topic).

26 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

Hi, actually I have some knowledge about this (Krieg will grind his teeth :D ).

I think the whole of TT.. not just Krieg... 

First of all thanks for the reply ..

I tried Ipl last time ( I did 3-4 sessions )  but from what I have been told it’s not so effective as alexandrite or diode laser .. and in fact it was in a salon.. I might have to ask a dermatologist :) 

IPL needs to be proper dosed and the frequency chosen for your skin and hair type. Also the light bulbs (actually, the whole "head") must be replaced regularly, otherwise it loses efficacy. As they are very expensive, sometimes salons use them past recommended duration.

Did IPL hurt? Because if it didn't, it was set to too low power, therefore no effect. IPL sessions are spaced at least 2 weeks apart. With 4 sessions you should have seen at least 2/3 of the hair gone. Also, the one that grows back after a few months will be thinner.

No , it didn’t hurt at all  .. only in some “sensitive areas “ I felt something ... and i was told I will need 8-10 sessions ... so I guess it was a rip off ..

I am epilation's biggest fan. Would it not be suitable for your needs?

21 hours ago, johnnyPlat said:

No , it didn’t hurt at all  .. only in some “sensitive areas “ I felt something ... and i was told I will need 8-10 sessions ... so I guess it was a rip off ..

Yep, completely. A proper technology/dosage for your hair thickness, skin and hair color hurts between "uncomfortable" and "fucking hell!".

Problem is, a second degree burn also hurts, so you really need a very good professional to adjust it properly.

Those crappy sites just want you to keep coming. They also don't replace the consumables as often as required, to save money.

With a proper session you should be hair-free two weeks after the session and continue like that for 2-3 months. I mean completely hair free! Then when it grows back, it comes much thinner and much less quantity. If that did not happen, then it was a rip off.

On 14/03/2021, 10:48:17, optimista said:

I am epilation's biggest fan. Would it not be suitable for your needs?

with epilation you mean the devices you use at home and remove the hair from the root ? 

if yes , not suitable for me .. I am prone to ingrown hair .. that’s why I think about laser hair removal :) 

Yes. Do it as soon as possible after getting up in the morning. It is less painful then.

Also sounds totally wacky but... if you do it during a waning moon (seems to be true from observation) ingrowing hairs don't occur so much. You can also (lightly) dry brush the skin regularly to avoid them. Makes your skin smoother and softer anyway. I bought a Phillips lady epilator 30 years ago and still use it a couple of times a month. One of the best things I ever bought. Only place it doesn't get to is the nostrils!