Local election Frankfurt - system confuses me

7 posts in this topic

There is a local election coming up in Frankfurt on 14th March. We got a number of  "stimmzettel" some time ago,(I guess because we are EU citizens) but what we got is totally confusing. there is a number of sheets , size a larger tablecloth, and it appears to the extend I understood, that we are supposed to  give not one but multiple votes, in one case of a tablecloth it looks like 93 votes...each of us...all together there is close to 200 votes per person on all different Stimmzettels 

notwithstanding confusion: it seem to be a real hard work to use all those votes in all those different table clothes we got. Seems like the system is designed to discourage people from voting...?

It is confusing, but actually meant to give the voters more influence. 

You can simply put your X next to the party you like, and all 90some votes of you go to that party.

Or you can put your X next to that party, but see person ABC, who you like and think they're good, on the list of another party and put up to three X next to that person. Then this person will get three votes and the party will have 90some minus three.

Or you put your X next to the party you like but discover person XYZ there, someone you don't like - then cross their name and the party will get your votes but not this person.

When this system was first introduced someone who ran a disco was way down on the party's list, but lots of young people knew him, liked him and voted extra for him. So to his big surprise he came out at the top.

10 minutes ago, smurf said:

@aeroplane and if you wish to vote by post today is the deadline at 23.59 and you can get the real paperwork by post, mark your X's and simply sign and date the letter provided and put all in the pink envelope provided and pop in a letterbox free of charge

Here is the link 

https://wahlschein.ekom21.de/IWS/start.do?mb=6412000

weird, but there was no envelope in the package. neither in mine nor my wife's...

Did you apply for „Briefwahl“ (absentee ballot)?

If not, could they be sample ballots?

Our Gemeinde put samples in the weekly free-and-full-of-advertising newspaper a few weeks ago with instructions on how to fill them out.

15 hours ago, martinamr said:

Did you apply for „Briefwahl“ (absentee ballot)?

If not, could they be sample ballots?

Our Gemeinde put samples in the weekly free-and-full-of-advertising newspaper a few weeks ago with instructions on how to fill them out.

Nope, I didn't apply. Was not aware I need to apply. the ballots look like real thing, came in an envelope from Frankfurt city I assumed this was all there is, did not realize about need for applying for Breifwahl. The system is fundamentally different from what I know so ever step is a learning :-)

I got something similar here in Regensburg. Didn't apply, also as an American, I didn't realize that I could vote in anything.

It has something to do with Ausländer though, which I assume is why we received it...

They didn't explain anything, or anything about the different parties, it was just like- here, vote please.

Same thing, I could vote for 30 different individuals or just all of my votes for 1 party or a mixture.

I think mine did have an envelope in it though... not sure, I wasn't really interested, so I threw it out :o