Smuggling becoming a standard...

78 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Dembo said:

Not sure the "Taste of British Isles Fish and Chips" is the real deal.

- being veggie, I cannot tell you how good the fish and chips are, but yesterday I tried the scones and they are pretty good - obviously, not as good as home-made, but definitely tasted like scones!

On 9.3.2021, 12:30:48, Krieg said:

I recommend you not to take such risks for something so trivial

Ahahahaha :lol: trivial?!

Decent cheddar and proper bacon? 

50 minutes ago, robinson100 said:

- being veggie, I cannot tell you how good the fish and chips are, but yesterday I tried the scones and they are pretty good - obviously, not as good as home-made, but definitely tasted like scones!

Tasted like scones or had the texture of scones....

thats how I know the difference between scones and rock cakes....  ( ignoring the huge sugar clumps on rock cakes!!9

1 hour ago, robinson100 said:

I didn‘t know you were a veggie ( vegetable )! I have always put you down as a woman men would die for!😂👍❤️

3 minutes ago, john g. said:

I didn‘t know you were a veggie! I have always put you down as a woman men would die for!😂👍❤️

What does that mean?

So... in no way a reference to "putting meat in her mouth"?

I think not... 

8 hours ago, SusieT said:

And in Aldi Nord - no prizes for guessing who will be doing a top up on Friday before the Germans buy it all :lol:

The Werbung from Aldi Nord does not mention Cadburys   :(

The wife said that if she eats scones she wants me to have baked them (its so seasy).

On 3/9/2021, 1:34:59, bennetn said:

Befriend an Irishperson and get it from there, it's exactly the same product in any case.

Sounds like a business idea for @arunadasi :lol:

12 hours ago, White Rose of Yorkshire said:

As of Friday, 12.03.2021, Aldi Süd have some British food on offer. McVities Digestives, Cadbury Dairy Milk Chocolate and Scones to name a few.

https://www.aldi-sued.de/de/angebote/d.12-03-2021.html?sort=theme&theme=Spezialit%C3%A4ten+aus+England+und+Irland

Sometimes I don't know how they get away with it. The digestives, Cadbury's and the scones...big thumbs up. But how dare they label that German horse piss apple juice as British Week "cider". And don't even get me started on that bag of freezer scrapings they call "fish & chips".

43 minutes ago, theGman said:

But how dare they label that German horse piss apple juice as British Week "cider".

Agreed.  Luckily I have a few cans of Thatcher's Gold in the cellar...

13 hours ago, HEM said:

No Cheddar at Lidl since some months (& it was quite good).

They only have "Britisch Cheddar" (as orange as Kerrygold) pre-sliced - this comes from Northern Ireland.  Have not tried it.

Famila have/had a pretty good Cheddar - almost white, bit crumbly & rather tasty.

That's interesting to know. Famila's furthest outpost in our direction is in Nauen, which is not too far from here. I've never been but we get the brochure every week. Might be worth a visit.

In Berlin proper people can try the sausage man (looks delicious but I have yet to try it myself):

http://www.thesausagemanneversleeps.com/

I'll just rely on my continuing personal deliveries from Ireland. Family member heads from supermarket straight to the airport with everything in a cool bag then straight into the freezer upon arrival. Doing it years and never any problems. Covid has thrown a spanner in the sausage works obviously.

I reckon engelchen has the right idea for bacon in other regions. Befriend a butcher and show them what you want in a rasher of bacon if the Tulip Englische Art one is not good enough (I think it's fine personally). Sausages and pudding are unfortunately not so easy.

18 minutes ago, HEM said:

Agreed.  Luckily I have a few cans of Thatcher's Gold in the cellar...

Lovely. I'm a big lover of cider. Aspall is my local but after living in Bristol I became obsessed. I'm not sure why the Germans haven't taken to it. I would think it right up their street.

That being said, and I can't believe I'm going to admit this...this offering from Bitburger is very agreeable.

(English) Bulmers is available all the time in our local Rewe, as is Cooper's (German cider which I quite like) and I see Orchard Thieves is also now available, called Apfel Räuber here.

29 minutes ago, theGman said:

I'm not sure why the Germans haven't taken to it. I would think it right up their street.

Äpfler...    Its mega popular up here where I live... 
Heil Kalterei is not far away and is pretty darned good..   

https://kelterei-heil.de/

or Coopers...

https://www.google.de/shopping/product/15892136003232127322?lsf=seller:102356985,store:2649074517493519340&prds=oid:6048389250232735370&hl=en&ei=6ddJYLb4JeeSjLsP1Oq3iAk&gclid=Cj0KCQiAnKeCBhDPARIsAFDTLTLs6_bIllXcdTIck3rAHsx5kZSfNCV26zhGJEtxqF7YxkbqCEqX8K0aAmxJEALw_wcB

16 hours ago, White Rose of Yorkshire said:

As of Friday, 12.03.2021, Aldi Süd have some British food on offer. McVities Digestives, Cadbury Dairy Milk Chocolate and Scones to name a few.

https://www.aldi-sued.de/de/angebote/d.12-03-2021.html?sort=theme&theme=Spezialit%C3%A4ten+aus+England+und+Irland

British foods in Aldi!

Baileys - Irish

Jameson - Irish

15th March - Saint Patrick's Day

Aldi could have marketed this better

That's a decent discount on the Jameson. Thanks for the tip - sláinte! 

I will never understand those who want to stick to their ghetto food. 

Why buy British bacon when you have normal meat here, local and from Italy/Spain? 

On my first day in Germany I visited a Russian supermarket, was shocked of 1980s atmosphere and crappy foods from my poor childhood. Who buys that in Germany?!I have never visited that ghetto market again. 

6 minutes ago, Tap said:

British foods in Aldi!

Baileys - Irish

Jameson - Irish

15th March - Saint Patrick's Day

Aldi could have marketed this better

The Aldi Nord flyer went so far as to wrap the "St. Patrick's Day doughnut" in a union flag lol. In fairness to them they tried to called it the taste of the British Isles but forgot about the flag of the country occupying most of the second largest island. Anyway, I'm sure they meant well :-) 

There is virtually nothing "exotic" or difficult to get though. In days gone by it might have been a special event on TT but apart from a few scones I see nothing you can't get basically any day of the week.