Smuggling becoming a standard...

79 posts in this topic

Go one then, how many of you guys would smuggle Bacon and cheddar when travelling back from the UK ?

From one day to another the EU is worried about contamination due to british pork and dairy products....

hmmmmm

I probably would try anyway...Can't get bacon here, and ALDI are selling more and more Irish cheddar. Its OK, but Colliers is better.....

I used to bring British Bacon (which probably orginates in Denmark) & packs of sausages from my trips to the UK & the family would be waiting with frying pan at the ready to have a fry-up.  Also some decent English cheese.  I don't see the prospect of any trip to the UK in the near future & maybe in a few years things will have sorted themselves out (if I live long enough).

Try starting a relationship with a local butcher (at best, on a market day)

Geräucherte Speck is the stuff to ask for.

Or show a pack of Tulip (brrr) Bacon and ask for similar but a better cut.

After a while, they'll know you and greet you with a smile.

As for the rules - don't try it...

Entering USA with food is tantamount to treason.    $500 fine for Delta Airlines apple  

So why should the EU "dilute" its rules ?

Especially as BoJo et al have started to dilute the safety measures

As a long time non-EU resident, I recommend you not to take such risks for something so trivial and try to find the products legally here instead or get used to the (crappy) alternatives.   But if you try and you are caught the first time it is not that bad, if it does not look like you are doing it as a business then you won't be fined and you will be charged only with the disposal which is not that much, maybe around 2 EUR per kilo.  If caught again then you will be fined for sure.

Befriend an Irishperson and get it from there, it's exactly the same product in any case.

16 minutes ago, Krieg said:

..... if it does not look like you are doing it as a business then you won't be fined and you will be charged only with the disposal which is not that much, maybe around 2 EUR per kilo.  If caught again then you will be fined for sure.

Worth a try then...

I'm still able to get that Scottish mature cheddar in Rewe. I don't care about bacon, but if I couldn't buy british tea online anymore I would resort to crime...

Stilton no longer is available in the Metro... the label is still on the shelf, but it's empty... am checking out gorgonzola prices.

4 minutes ago, Metall said:

Stilton no longer is available in the Metro... the label is still on the shelf, but it's empty... am checking out gorgonzola prices.

Mm! I also love Cambazoola cheese.  Citti and Plaza have good cheese selection, even the small Edeka.

I use Friesian tea, doubling the bags.

20 minutes ago, Dembo said:

I'm still able to get that Scottish mature cheddar in Rewe. I don't care about bacon, but if I couldn't buy british tea online anymore I would resort to crime...

Most Indian shops stock PG tips at least.

4 minutes ago, bennetn said:

Most Indian shops stock PG tips at least.

And at last PG tips are going plastic-free, so used teabags can go in bio bin.  

26 minutes ago, Metall said:

Stilton no longer is available in the Metro...

No Cheddar at Lidl since some months (& it was quite good).

They only have "Britisch Cheddar" (as orange as Kerrygold) pre-sliced - this comes from Northern Ireland.  Have not tried it.

Famila have/had a pretty good Cheddar - almost white, bit crumbly & rather tasty.

25 minutes ago, HEM said:

No Cheddar at Lidl since some months (& it was quite good).

They only have "Britisch Cheddar" (as orange as Kerrygold) pre-sliced - this comes from Northern Ireland.  Have not tried it.

Famila have/had a pretty good Cheddar - almost white, bit crumbly & rather tasty.

Kaufland has white cheddar blocks that are good enough for my untrained taste, they are sold as the house brand and they are permanently in stock.    Same with Rewe.

3 minutes ago, White Rose of Yorkshire said:

As of Friday, 12.03.2021, Aldi Süd have some British food on offer. McVities Digestives, Cadbury Dairy Milk Chocolate and Scones to name a few.

https://www.aldi-sued.de/de/angebote/d.12-03-2021.html?sort=theme&theme=Spezialit%C3%A4ten+aus+England+und+Irland

And in Aldi Nord - no prizes for guessing who will be doing a top up on Friday before the Germans buy it all :lol:

@: Susie T   It's a good thing that you are in the North and I am in the South. :))

I plan to be one of the first people through the door on Friday morning.