Citizenship for newborn

8 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone,

I have a problem in getting German citizenship for my new born in Germany.
I am an Indian, living and working in northern Germany for past 9 years.
I had an apointment scheduled with ausländerbehörde in April 2020 for applying for my Permanent residence.
Unfortunately the apointment was cancelled due to Corona lockdown. I tried seeking for new apointments the whole 2020 and I could not get one.
Finally I had my apointment on 04.02.2021 and submitted my documents.

My son was born here in Germany on 13.02.2021. 
I asked Einbuergerung amt if my son is eligible for German citizenship.
They replied saying he wont get German citizenship as I dont have a permanent residence permit.

I asked my ausländerbehörde back from when my permanent residence would be valid and they replied it is valid from 19.02.2021.
As my residence permit is granted 6 days later of my child birth, Einbuergerung amt refused German citizenship for my child stating I should have it at the date when my child was born.

Can someone help me with my situtation what I can do next, so that I can try getting my son German citizenship?

Regards,
Yash

I would contact the the Ausländerbehörde explaining the situation, they can perhaps write you a letter stating that you were qualified as of X date, but the appointment was cancelled against your wishes due to Corona, etc. and only offered again this February. Otherwise you would have had it already. (But it took practically one whole freaking year? Seriously? Yikes.) Such a letter may not do much, but there you go.

What about your baby's other parent? Presumably he or she also Indian? Did one of you have any kind of unbefristete Aufenthaltserlaubnis for at least 3 years?

https://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/en/aamt/zugastimaa/buergerservice/faq/-/606854?openAccordionId=item-606642-4-panel

Note that in your case, the child would need to decide on German or Indian nationality between 18-23, so can't have both forever. And also note that AFAIK India does not allow dual citizenship, especially after the latest anti-Muslim bills it has pushed through.  You might ask 'is it worth it'. Apart from voting or say, joining the German military, you and your child are fairly safe here.

Thanks for the reply. My wife is Indian too and she is here on dependent visa. I wrote  Ausländerbehörde  an email explaining the situation, but unfortunately have not received a reply.

8 hours ago, YaGu said:

Thanks for the reply. My wife is Indian too and she is here on dependent visa. I wrote  Ausländerbehörde  an email explaining the situation, but unfortunately have not received a reply.

You're going to have to be a lot more proactive if you want to change things. Call them, often, get in their faces a bit. 

And btw, congrats on the bundle of joy. ;) 

@YaGu out of curiosity: I thought in Corona times you could send in those applications to the Ausländerbehörde per mail or email. Is that not possible in Hamburg?

On 08/03/2021, 22:52:54, alderhill said:

You're going to have to be a lot more proactive if you want to change things. Call them, often, get in their faces a bit. 

Why? If the OP really wanted German citizenship for his (at the time unborn) child, he should have done something earlier. The time to be proactive ended on 13.02.2021. 

On 08/03/2021, 07:55:56, YaGu said:

As my residence permit is granted 6 days later of my child birth, Einbuergerung amt refused German citizenship for my child stating I should have it at the date when my child was born.

Can someone help me with my situtation what I can do next, so that I can try getting my son German citizenship?

If you apply for German citizenship, you can include your son on the application. 

Before harassing the authorities who don't make the laws but only apply them, why don't you post your question on info4alien.de?

Do what alderhill said, be persistent but polite. I am not so sure all of those people working there know the law. From experience I know that two different people will tell you two different answers. Good luck