Mistakenly missed few items in cart to pay. Kaufland filed police complaint.

78 posts in this topic

Hi,

I have been shopping in Kaufland since Jul 2020 and each visit bill is in the range of 60 to 80 EURO.

The shop is 1.5 KM away from my house and I don't have a car or bicycle. So I walk, taking my kid's stroller (empty) and fill it in with items in the shop and bring it back home, filled.

This time, as usual I shopped for around 60 EURO with lots of items in the stroller. On the cash counter, I missed some items (4 items: baby cream and some beauty items) in the upper, smaller section in the cart and my cart passed through the counter without paying for them. After all the billing and card transaction when I started walking from the cash counter, Kaufland security came to me and informed that I have not paid for all the items. I immediately released the mistake and offered to pay for the missed items. But he asked me to come to his office. I told him that I missed these items, and I am ready to pay, but he did not listen. Also, it was difficult to communicate since I do not know enough German to converse. He called the police. I also told the same thing to the police. The lady police was sympathetic towards me, but she said she cannot to anything, it is up to the Kaufland security. The police asked me for my address and told that you will get a letter from Kaufland and from the police.

I had no intention to steal anything. It was an honest mistake. However, I can understand why Kaufland security does not believe me.

I do not exactly understand what happened there. My guess is Kaufland security has filed a police complaint against me and I will get letters regarding the same. Now I am waiting for the letter all worried. I am in Germany since a year. I am not sure what is expected from me. What is the worst case I should be prepared for? Any implication of my visa, passport? I guess I will have to reply to police or visit the police station. How should I prepare, and what should I reply? All my Kaufland transactions are online. I can show them bank transactions from the past to prove that I am a regular customer. (Not sure if this matters: I had taken my husbands debit card with me and that is what I used for the payment. Can I show past bank transactions to prove that I am a regular customer? Or I will be charged for misuse of card!!! Or am I over thinking about it?)

Thanks for reading this. Any inputs are welcome.

There is absolutely no point in proving that you shop there regularly - you have been caught stealing products, and it would tend to make the company think that you might have stolen items every time you were there!

Calm down. you will probably receive a fine and a ban from shopping there in future.

Shopping trolleys are there for you to use whilst shopping - exactly in order to prevent items becoming "forgotten" in a basket/bag/pushchair... in future, ALWAYS use one!

A friend of mine worked as a security in a supermarket in Poland. His job was to remind "forgetful" people to pay for the items as apparently he was not allowed to call the police over such issues. He told me how uncreative most people were with stealing and thinking nobody will notice. 

In Germany they are not that tolerant. Pay a fine and never shop there again, you will get a ban. 

32 minutes ago, hellotoy said:

Thanks @robinson100 and @yourkeau. Would this leave any mark on my visa/blue-card/passport?

I do not think they'd mark "Stolen products once from Kaufland and hence banned" on your passport.

9 hours ago, hellotoy said:

Thanks @robinson100 and @yourkeau. Would this leave any mark on my visa/blue-card/passport?

No. Unless you do this frequently in different shops, this won't lead to criminal prosecution (your record will be clean). 

If you do get the ban (Hausverbot in German), do not violate it, this will be serious. 

13 hours ago, hellotoy said:

I had taken my husbands debit card with me and that is what I used for the payment.

This is also illegal. If they know you are not using your own card, then there might be another fraud charge against you. 

Can I show past bank transactions to prove that I am a regular customer? Or I will be charged for misuse of card!!! Or am I over thinking about it?)

Nothing will help now. You have been caught doing wrong, even if its by mistake. 

Thanks for reading this. Any inputs are welcome.

Just wait for the fine and pay it quietly.  If hausverbot then never buy it there. 

Were there other items that were in the top section and you just missed those four items? They seem like high priced items. Also I find it a little odd that you took the stroller 1.5km without the kid. I’m not saying you did it at all, but I can see how they might be suspicious. 

You will probably just get a fine or something, but I wouldn’t worry about your passport and visa. 

If you plan to shop in a far away place then better buy a shopping trolley like this.

https://www.amazon.de/ZH1907190-AmazonBasics-2-Wheel-Shopping-Trolley/dp/B07VYY7D9M/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=1LKG9TWKUD9YJ&dchild=1&keywords=einkaufstrolley&qid=1615111946&sprefix=shopping+tro%2Caps%2C175&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyMUhWSEM1Nk9LUkZNJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNzY5MTE5MjJMN0k0QkNTWk42QiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwOTk1MDM2M1UyUUtaNkNPVlhMUSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

And use a shopping cart so you can stop "forgetting" to pay for small high price items.   Your story has all the "frequent shoplifter that was finally caught" signs, true or not, it looks bad.   If it is first time it will be probably dismissed and you will receive a fine and a ban.   Do not break the ban, that would be a criminal offence, if they tell you you can't shop at any Kaufland for 1 year then shop somewhere else for 1 year.

She took the stroller, because carrying bags 1.5 km can be heavy. That's not odd or suspicious. I probably carry 15-20 kilos myself on foot when I do my groceries, but I'm male. Next time, she can better leave the stroller at the cashier and take a shopping cart instead. The ban or Hausverbot will usually last 1-2 years for the whole chain.

14 minutes ago, LukeSkywalker said:

She took the stroller

"Her" profile says male.

I use the Reisenthel open top shopping trolley. I never take a store trolley. It holds a lot and they can look into it and see it is empty. It has a nylon thingy to close over the top if it is raining.

2 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

"Her" profile says male.

Well, the OP wrote "my husband's debit card", so I assume he is a she :).

My 76-year-old neighbour has a closed shopping trolley and leaves it at the cashier.

Yeah I don’t know. If I’m going on a big shopping trip, then I’m going to the closest supermarket and I live in city like OP does. I’d also take a proper shopping bag or something. A stroller seems a little distracting with whatever you stuck in there last time using your kid and disorganized.

If she had the kid, then fine. I just don’t see many people shopping using the stroller without the kid in it. 

2 hours ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Next time, she can better leave the stroller at the cashier and take a shopping cart instead.

That's a good tip. I was wondering what she would do with the stroller if she used a trolley instead. 

19 hours ago, robinson100 said:

you have been caught stealing products,

you must be a german.

the OP said they made a mistake.  accusing someone of 'stealing' is typical of a superiority complex.

20 minutes ago, catjones said:

you must be a german.

the OP said they made a mistake.  accusing someone of 'stealing' is typical of a superiority complex.

Must be a german?  Discriminating much?  

It is indeed stealing, voluntarily or involuntarily only the OP knows.

2 hours ago, Krieg said:

Must be a german?  Discriminating much?  

It is indeed stealing, voluntarily or involuntarily only the OP knows.

Stealing:

take (another person's property) without permission or legal right and without intending to return it.

See the difference here?  Just another german judge/jury.

2 hours ago, catjones said:

you must be a german.

Not only Germans accuse others of „ stealing „... strange comment of yours!

Our Greek neighbour accused another neighbour, a French guy , of stealing his logs piled up on the pathway outside his house for his fire yesterday.

( Mind you, not proven.. but the French guy has form in that... well- known and nobody wants anything to do with him).

19 minutes ago, catjones said:

Stealing:

take (another person's property) without permission or legal right and without intending to return it.

See the difference here?  Just another german judge/jury.

I can Google as well:

Steal  : to take the property of another wrongfully and especially as a habitual or regular practice

3 hours ago, catjones said:

you must be a german.

Half German/half British, and work in retail... as soon as one has passed the tills with goods that are not payed for, it is considered to be theft here, so please feel free to stick your superiority complex where the sun doesn´t shine!

If I thought the OP were not telling the truth about it being a mistake, I wouldn´t have gone to the trouble of warning him not to make a point of being a regular customer. Or maybe that was just the British part of me coming through...