Paying UK national insurance contributions directly from Germany

118 posts in this topic

I paid 14 years of Class 3 contribs. You can only pay Class 2 if you are gainfully employed. Which I am not. And never have been in France. Kept woman and all that. Which is why I am trying to cover my back. Financially dependent on hubby. Not clever at all.

2 minutes ago, yesterday said:

Surprised it was several thousands of pounds 

When I applied, I got class 2, which is only about 150 pounds per missed year, or my future years aswell

To get class 2,  All I said was that I am living outside of the UK and was paying NI type, contributions in Germany

Not sure why it matters, I got my records, straight before BREXIT, and am not sure they will allow it after BREXIT, cos paying class 3 is much more money

I thought you were in France, so I guess the same applies to you, still I do not know if you are paying NI contributions in France.

Not a Brexit issue.  Booklet NI38 sets out who can pay Class 2 when living abroad.

You can pay Class 2 NICs if you’re employed or self-employed abroad and if you satisfy the following conditions.

1. You’ve lived in the UK for a continuous 3-year period at any time before the period for which NICs are to be paid*, or

2. Before going abroad you paid a set amount in NICs for 3 years or more (this will be checked when you ask to pay Class 2 NICs*), and

3. In addition to conditions 1 and 2, you must also, immediately before going abroad, have been ordinarily an employed or self-employed earner in the UK.

If you don't qualify for that, then it's Class 3.

OK I have got it so I am happy :rolleyes:

But I never really understood, why it makes a difference to class 2 or 3. It seems to me that, that if I am working aboard and paying tax there, that I can aford Class 3, but if you live aboard and are not working, ie have less money that you have to pay the full amount 

Where is the logic in that, but this is the UK I guess.

1 minute ago, yesterday said:

OK I have got it so I am happy :rolleyes:

But I never really understood, why it makes a difference to class 2 or 3. It seems to me that, that if I am working aboard and paying tax there, that I can aford Class 3, but if you live aboard and are not working, ie have less money that you have to pay the full amount 

Where is the logic in that, but this is the UK I guess.

I don't think there is any logic.  Similarly, if you are self-employed in the UK you pay Class 2 (and Class 4) NIC. The former is £3.05 per week; the latter a percentage of your income to bring you closer to what an employee would pay.  But, if you are below the payment threshold and make voluntary NIC payments, then as a self-employed you also pay Class 2.  Compare that with and employee, who has to pay Class 3 if they are below the threshold and want to top up their record.  

7 minutes ago, GaryC said:

Not a Brexit issue. 

Since it not logical

They can always change the rule for BREXIT reasons,

ie why should a brit living abroad pay less for his/her pension than, some guy living in the UK ???

I thought BREXIT was supposed to benefit mainly BRITS living in the UK

Sorry, I know you do not make the rules, but I just find them hard to understand, from a UK persons point of view

3 minutes ago, yesterday said:

Since it not logical

They can always change the rule for BREXIT reasons,

ie why should a brit living abroad pay less for his/her pension than, some guy living in the UK ???

I thought BREXIT was supposed to benefit mainly BRITS living in the UK

Sorry, I know you do not make the rules, but I just find them hard to understand, from a UK persons point of view

I don't disagree.  I think the logic, such as it is, is that Class 2 provides access to fewer benefits etc than Class 3.  I am not sure of the whole list but while you get access to qualifying years for your pension, you don't get access to others.  Still doesn't make a whole lot of sense though...   

On 17/09/2021, 05:46:37, optimista said:

Stumped up thousands in May to top up the UK pension. Still waiting for a receipt and/or some sort of confirmation the money has hit its destination. Time to start the chase-up. :rolleyes:

The guy with the reassuring soft voice did his stuff. I have written confirmation that they have attributed the funds to my NI number.

Relief !

Now I just have to live long enough to claim my pension and the UK treasury has to have enough in the coffers to stump up when the time comes.

Nice one!  Glad to hear you have the confirmation and fingers crossed that you make it, lol

Just a quick question to add….I have over 30 years of UK state pension contributions. If I die, do any of my contributions go to my German husband or child?

9 minutes ago, emkay said:

Just a quick question to add….I have over 30 years of UK contributions. If I die, do any of my contributions go to my husband or child?

I just went through the notes of my UK pension "saga".  I didnt seem to get a clear answer but from this excerpt from a

letter a got in October 2016 (before I started to draw the UK pension) I believe its "NO" for your husband; children

certainly not..

DR.jpg

No, there is no widow's or widower's pension under the UK New State Pension. 

However, if you were to die before your husband reaches state pension age then, a Bereavement Support Payment may be payable. Take a look at  Bereavement Support Payment - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk) and the link to what happens if you are living in an EEA country, e.g. Germany.  

3 minutes ago, HEM said:

I just went through the notes of my UK pension "saga".  I didnt seem to get a clear answer but from this excerpt from a

letter a got in October 2016 (before I started to draw the UK pension) I believe its "NO" for your husband; children

certainly not..

DR.jpg

I think these derived rights situations are quite rare now and apply only (I think) if the husband dies first and the wife was relying on his NIC contributions to get a pension.  Details are on GOV UK but from memory it is unlikely that anyone retiring much after 2016 when the New State Pension came in will or can be affected. 

Thank you both….I thought the general answer would be NO though worth knowing if anything had changed,

1 minute ago, emkay said:

Thank you both….I thought the general answer would be NO though worth knowing if anything had changed,

Always good to ask these sorts of questions - if you don't ask, you don't get, as it were...

1 minute ago, GaryC said:

Always good to ask these sorts of questions - if you don't ask, you don't get, as it were...

My sentiments entirely! :)

Thought I would add a quick note to this thread.

Many people (me included) have moaned about how long it takes HMRC to allocate voluntary NIC payments to your NI record.  I read today on the HMRC customer forum that some of the delays were down to staff being reallocated to COVID-related work, that they are now working through the backlog and that they have a new system, so that payments made from about the middle of October 2021 are allocated automatically to your NI record. 

I have not seen any evidence of how well the new system is working but thought a number of folk on here would be interested to hear the news.