Paying UK national insurance contributions directly from Germany

120 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, optimista said:

Assuming it's just a way of applying pressure. Psycho-terror... you put it more positively. B)

Love the humour!

I've been paying these for a while and I hope they don't bugger up the system and stop me claiming my pension later. 

1 hour ago, MUinEU said:

I've been paying these for a while and I hope they don't bugger up the system and stop me claiming my pension later. 

It is always a bit of a gamble. But you have to do something.  Not sure if  anyone here can remember what the UK government did in the 1980s or possibly early 1990s.  There was some scheme where you could pay extra and enhance your state pension (obviously this benefited the better off I guess).  But the government simply cancelled it after people had paid in for many years.  My father was affected, and he said if it had been a private pension it would have been fraud.  He was philosophical about it, as he was about most stuff.  

Are you referring to SERPS ?

https://www.which.co.uk/money/pensions-and-retirement/state-pension/your-state-pension-and-benefits/state-second-pension-and-serps-ad9mc1v6fq6t

My sister also paid into a company scheme which hit the dust in one of the financial crashes. It eventually went to the European Court and they scraped back some of the losses. But essentially, she was robbed. Pensions are a gamble, but the only alternative is to leave the stage early.

I succeeded in doing the transfer to Her Majesty's gang. Let's see if it lands at destination. Maybe I should put this in the Greatest Achievement Thread.

Couple of "interesting" documents to read if you are suffering from insomnia and want to get your head round the who thing and its history.

One is from the Institute for Fiscal Studies (IFS), from 2010 and gives the history of the rules up to that point, so the old scheme(s).  The history of state pensions in the UK: 1948 to 2010 (ifs.org.uk)

The other is from the House of Commons library, from 2016, briefing MPs on the new State Pension and how and why the old rules are being replaced. https://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/SN06525/SN06525.pdf 

Enjoy...

Well, well... more thanks over the ether. May well read it in the small hours.

Is the bug catching, do you think?

Stumped up thousands in May to top up the UK pension. Still waiting for a receipt and/or some sort of confirmation the money has hit its destination. Time to start the chase-up. :rolleyes:

Yes, it is weird that they do not hand out this information.  The only thing I got each time was getting letter the next financial year asking if I wanted to contribute again.  

2 hours ago, optimista said:

Stumped up thousands in May to top up the UK pension. Still waiting for a receipt and/or some sort of confirmation the money has hit its destination. Time to start the chase-up. :rolleyes:

It easy do it online ...

Go here 

https://www.gov.uk/check-national-insurance-record

All you really need is your NI number and you can remember your name ...  

Its odd, they used to have a little check box, on the class 2/3 form that you could put an X in, if you did that, then they would send you conformation that they had got it and it was paid, of course they do not do that anymore, because of progress....  but its quite easy to do it online.

Apparently, it's taking up to 30 weeks to update the visible record after people make voluntary NIC payments.  Not sure why but probably linked to the fact that HMRC is administering the various Covid support packages, giving people general help and advice around tax/NI/Furlough/Grants in relation to Covid in addition to their normal role in that regard, and, of course, dealing with everything else employees/employers have had to do re Covid.   

I think they have therefore de-prioritised this work.  For instance, everyone's NI record used to be updated by about July, following the end of the tax year in April.  Since Covid that has been more like September and having just checked mine while typing this it is still not done.  Also, I sent HMRC the German form for electing for unlimited tax liability treatment literally on 6 April as soon as the information for the tax year was cast in stone and received it back a couple of days ago, so about 23 weeks to stamp and return a form!  Again, probably not seen as particularly high priority in these busy Covid times - thank goodness the FA in Germany is "understanding of my plight"!

A lot of people on the HMRC Customer Forum  Customer Forums - Community Forum - GOV.UK (hmrc.gov.uk)  have been asking why their record has not been updated for weeks/months after making voluntary payments and one helpful HMRC contributor admitted that it could take up to about 30 weeks at the moment.  I know it's easy to say but I would hang in there and leave it until about 6 months has passed before giving HMRC a prod.

2 hours ago, yesterday said:

It easy do it online ...

I know you mean well, but... :lol:

I cannot log onto the gov website despite having a password and PIN sent by mobile... because I cannot get past security. I have neither a Brit driving licence nor a UK credit rating... eyes roll heavenwards...

So... I rang DWP who confirm my 14 years have not been credited to my account. Surprise, surprise. More eye rolling.

I then called HMRC. Took 6 minutes to get through their voice recognition / security / triage rigmarole. Exhales deeply.

Answered a string of questions to confirm I had done all the right moves. Had to give my bank a/c no. which I thought was a bit off considering all their attempts at security. So I hope I really was through to HMRC and not some scammer who diverts their calls. Graham, who is on my case, and whose ID no. I have and who I hope is really a government employee, and speaks in reassuring dulcet tones tells me it is not unusual that after all these weeks (I have not counted them yet) I have had no receipt and that my money has not yet been credited to my account. He reassures me that the money will be sloshing around somewhere... they just have to find it. He is going to do the necessary. I am not to worry. He will get back to me by mail. Oooookkkkkaaaayyyyy. Eyes heavenwards. Exhales. Purses lips.

14 minutes ago, GaryC said:

Apparently, it's taking up to 30 weeks to update the visible record after people make voluntary NIC payments.

:blink:

Well, that's reassuring in 2021 when electronic payments take microseconds and they have these things called computers... blimey. It was only eleven thousand odd quid. I'll stay cool then.

Await hearing.

Edit: I just counted... it is only 16 weeks. Maybe by Xmas then?

DWP are correct in that they cannot see the record until HMRC has allocated the payments.  I trust you called the HMRC NI Team on +44 300 200 3500?  And I assume Graham gave you his internal ID No.  which is 7 characters.  I am sure he will mail you good news in a few days.

10 minutes ago, optimista said:

I know you mean well, but... :lol:

I cannot log onto the gov website despite having a password and PIN sent by mobile... because I cannot get past security. I have neither a Brit driving licence nor a UK credit rating... eyes roll heavenwards...

I did it, without a credit card or PIN or driving leicence !!!

But that was 2 years ago ! maybe things changed

when I forgot my password, I rang them up and they said just setup a new account, maybe try that

7 minutes ago, optimista said:

:blink:

Well, that's reassuring in 2021 when electronic payments take microseconds and they have these things called computers... blimey. It was only eleven thousand odd quid. I'll stay cool then.

Await hearing.

Edit: I just counted... it is only 16 weeks. Maybe by Xmas then?

Computers - only as good as those who programme them.  On a serious not, I don't know quite why the annual reconciliation and allocation of voluntary payments takes so long but my guess would be that stuff is transferred and reconciled between various aging back-office computer systems that have to talk to more up-to-date ones like self-assessment etc.

Yes, it was HMRC but not that number. Did I ring a scammer? His ID was 7 numbers. I answered all his questions but did not think to ask him one...

He liked my e-mail address and we agreed it was cool. He giggled boyishly when I asked if he would reveal his name - maybe he thought I was flirting - so maybe I will get prioritised?

I live in hope.

5 hours ago, optimista said:

Surprised it was several thousands of pounds 

When I applied, I got class 2, which is only about 150 pounds per missed year, or my future years aswell

To get class 2,  All I said was that I am living outside of the UK and was paying NI type, contributions in Germany

Not sure why it matters, I got my records, straight before BREXIT, and am not sure they will allow it after BREXIT, cos paying class 3 is much more money

I thought you were in France, so I guess the same applies to you, still I do not know if you are paying NI contributions in France.

7 minutes ago, optimista said:

Yes, it was HMRC but not that number. Did I ring a scammer? His ID was 7 numbers. I answered all his questions but did not think to ask him one...

He liked my e-mail address and we agreed it was cool. He giggled boyishly when I asked if he would reveal his name - maybe he thought I was flirting - so maybe I will get prioritised?

I live in hope.

There are various numbers for HMRC.  The one I gave is the "direct" line to the NI teams but they all/generally start 0300 200.  7 numbers is right.