Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Changing locks

11 posts in this topic

Hi Toytown, 

When my ex moved out of my flat, he took a spare key with him. We were still on good terms and I also have a spare key of his. 

More recently, we are not getting on anymore and I don't trust him to not come around unannounced, or even force his way in. 

I am the owner of the flat. The key not only opens the door to the flat, but the building, the garage, the cellar, and the outer gate. 

I'd like to change the lock to my flat so that he cannot access the flat anymore. But if I change the lock, does that mean all other locks in my apartment building would need to be changed too? 

Just wanted to check if anyone else has done this in the past (even if you are renting but got permission from the landlord). Just want to check what options there are before I contact the Hausverwaltung, who are generally unfriendly and unhelpful. 

The key system is from IKON, if that helps. 

Thank you.

Till the day she needs to move. Then she will not be able to return all the keys and she will be liable for having all the keys in the building replaced. Which will cost a pretty penny.

I would tell the ex that you want that key back. Soonest. And you will return his in exchange. Or he will be unable to return all keys the day he moves out of his new abode. By letting him keep the key, you open the door to being held hostage further down the line. Relations don't usually improve once they have soured. Under no circumstances let him have his key before he turns up with yours.

Do you have 'lost keys' covered by any of your insurances ? That might do. Otherwise what Spider Pig says, change the lock (you own the flat after all) and then try and get the key back. Given what it costs to replace all the keys in  abuilding, even a formal letter from a lawyer might be cheaper if the ex isn't forthcoming. (If the ex is German, that will almost certainly help ...)

1 hour ago, Marianne013 said:

Do you have 'lost keys' covered by any of your insurances ? That might do. Otherwise what Spider Pig says, change the lock (you own the flat after all) and then try and get the key back. Given what it costs to replace all the keys in  abuilding, even a formal letter from a lawyer might be cheaper if the ex isn't forthcoming. (If the ex is German, that will almost certainly help ...)

I call your first option insurance fraud.

daolim,

As SpiderPig mentioned, you change the lock cylinder on your apartment door.  You'll still need the original key for the building, garage, cellar and the outer gate.  

You can buy a new lock cylinder (that comes with 3-5 keys) at Obi or BauHaus for around 30-40 Euro.  There is one screw that holds the lock cylinder in the door.  It takes five minutes at most to change the lock cylinder.  

When you move out of the apartment, put the original lock cylinder back in the apartment door.  

S.

No need for lawyers Letter.. 

Ask the Hausverwaltung to write him a Letter informing him that He is in posession of their property... 

Befor buying a new lock, remove old lock and measure it's length and then the distance betwwe the hole and each end of the lock/cylender... 

On 05/03/2021, 12:42:56, AnswerToLife42 said:

I call your first option insurance fraud.

Is it ? I guess "stolen key" would be a more accurate description, but that is usually covered by the same insurance. You are unable to recover the key and it is now in possession of someone who does not live in the apartment. For a key to be stolen (and once he refuses to return it to the rightful owner, that's what it is), it doesn't matter if you know who the guilty party is. Well, the insurance might want to know, so they can pursue him for money. Doesn't hurt to ask.

On 05/03/2021, 16:03:24, SpiderPig said:

Ask the Hausverwaltung to write him a Letter informing him that He is in posession of their property.

Did this not do it for you?

The best thing you can do is inform your Hausverwaltung. You can get in pretty nasty trouble if the key ends in the wrong hands.