Gas Heizung Wartung

17 posts in this topic

The company that built/installed our central heating is offering a contract of yearly servicing for 233eur/yr. We live in a new built from 2019.
They're saying the obvious vendor things, the system will remain efficient saving you money long term, safety, blabla.
I'm all in favor of servicing things before they break rather than after, but hey it seems overpriced, more than 40% of our yearly gas bill.

Opinions?

Do they offer anything in case it breaks or just servicing? Of course, it is probably still under warranty.

I guess the only way to know if that is overpriced is to get other estimates. Will be interesting to hear what other people pay on TT as well.

The contract includes servicing the heating (135eur+MwSt.) and luftung (62eur+MwSt.). And in case of emergency (on a 1yr old system? unlikely) they will come without emergency surcharge. Parts not included, if any needed.

Yep, I'll ask for other quotes. 

Here's a fact...not a recommendation:

Our 22yr old Vliessman gas boiler/heating system has been

serviced twice.

The chimney sweep checks gas levels every 2yrs though.

'never change a running system'

'if it's not broke, don't fix it'

As I mentioned, this is not a recommendation, just reporting a fact.

We know a plumber who would come and help if necessary...

HH, I perfectly endorse the engineering mantra "don't repair it if it's not broken".

But inspecting and cleaning is not repairing.

3 hours ago, HH_Sailor said:

Here's a fact...not a recommendation:

Our 22yr old Vliessman gas boiler/heating system has been

serviced twice.

The chimney sweep checks gas levels every 2yrs though.

Mine has been done twice in the last 10 years, and every 2 tears before that. It has not needed more than the equivalent of new normal filters on a car!

21 hours ago, Gambatte said:

The company that built/installed our central heating is offering a contract of yearly servicing for 233eur/yr.

My annual Wartung costs 113 EUR. System installed in 2013.  Wartung also by company that installed system.

Got the gas heating and Luftungsanlage serviced just now. First service after 2 winters of life.

It actually took 1hr, estimate was 2hr, two guys present: one worked and the other extremely young (maybe a trainee) did nothing other than watching.

Costed 215eur.:wacko:

I understand the cost of a service is not linked to how long it takes, or how difficult it is, but ONLY to the max they think the customer is prepare to pay.

Without knowing any cost breakup, i am just guessing by basic knowledge the following

215 - (19% tax) = 180 - 20(likely transport charge) = 160 - 60(wartung material cost like electrodes, dichtung etc) = 100 as a labour cost.  Seems Ok for an hour work. 

47 minutes ago, Gambatte said:

Got the gas heating and Luftungsanlage serviced just now. First service after 2 winters of life.

It actually took 1hr, estimate was 2hr, two guys present: one worked and the other extremely young (maybe a trainee) did nothing other than watching.

Costed 215eur.:wacko:

I understand the cost of a service is not linked to how long it takes, or how difficult it is, but ONLY to the max they think the customer is prepare to pay.

So did they itemize the bill?  My plumber takes 55€ an hour and 15€ for the drive, not including taxes.  Then there is material if they need something.  If they show up with an apprentice, they take half price if he does any work, nothing if he's just watching.

You can talk to them and dispute the bill.  They might lower it.  

We had a heating engineer come and work just over the hour and charge us 2 hours, which cost a fair bit - similar to your 200€ hit. He was also unpleasantly sarcastic.

Following year we called a different firm, and they charge by how long they are there, cost us around 100€ I think. Another time they came to check something out and it cost 30€.

We asked them to come this last freeze on a Saturday and he was a bit upset about it being hugely expensive, but it was about 80€ or so. 

Definitely worth getting other quotes. The variation is huge.

My gas boiler is from the company Elco. Perhaps this is one of the lesser common, because out of the many gas engineers I phoned most told me they don't do Elco. Eventually I managed to get two quotations and they were almost identical. Next time around I'll try more...

Hi Gambatte,  Do you happen to see what are the work they did during this service? did they checked/cleaned the air ducts as well?