Relocating nearby to Munich

157 posts in this topic

18 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Which you will need to live from. With a mil, you can pay your rent from your dividends. Or pay it from your pension and live off of the dividends.

What do you live from if you dump your life savings in a house? As was said, German pensions are crap.

Sure, but that also goes for if you do the buy now option. That's retirement planning (pensions, savings etc). My point is that, if you invest well, you can be in exactly the same position at 67 whether you buy now or rent now. Of course you could also end up better off or worse off. But it's possible to achieve the same goal with both methods.

1 hour ago, cb6dba said:

This isn't a disney movie, the chances you will find that dream property (even if you are really rich), that one that hits everything you want and no negatives, is very slim.

You end up renting or buying the one you found that you like and can live in. The one that doesn't hit you with a 'why did we take this one' feeling every morning.

My plan going back to Portugal (far future) will most likely involve buying a plot and making my dream house. I know self-building is also problematic, but otherwise I won't get what I want. You also save quite some money building by yourself.

Just now, MikeMelga said:

You also save quite some money building by yourself.

If I had a penny for every time I heard that ...

8 minutes ago, Krieg said:

If I had a penny for every time I heard that ...

I have personal experience, and I can confirm it is true. From more than 10 houses self-built in my family, on average we saved 20-40%. Problem is, you need to be on top all the time. And takes a long time. My house in Portugal was valued 80% more right after being finished.

8 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

I have personal experience, and I can confirm it is true. From more than 10 houses self-built in my family, on average we saved 20-40%. Problem is, you need to be on top all the time. And takes a long time. My house in Portugal was valued 80% more right after being finished.

There is nothing you are not an expert.  The sky is the limit.

43 minutes ago, Krieg said:

There is nothing you are not an expert.  The sky is the limit.

Complex life... I have many more topics that I never approached here, but if I gave you a list of stuff I've done you wouldn't believe me. BTW, I have 7 years of studio engineer experience, recording bands. I have developed astronomy products (electronics, mechanical design, optical design, software, product development, procurement, business area development) that are used all over the world, including in antartica. I was also in 2 distinct situations where the car I was in flew for a few meters (I was driving on one of them). I almost drowned once and was saved by a surfer (who only saw me because he hit my head with the board). I've been "arrested" (very funny stories) and released within a few minutes in 3 different European countries(UK, France and Slovakia), I was in Wuhan 2 months before the Covid pandemic started! And so on...

25 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

... I almost drowned once and was saved by a surfer (who only saw me because he hit my head with the board)....

ok, that explains a lot of things right there.... hit in the head by a surf board...

3 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

Complex life... I have many more topics that I never approached here, but if I gave you a list of stuff I've done you wouldn't believe me. BTW, I have 7 years of studio engineer experience, recording bands. I have developed astronomy products (electronics, mechanical design, optical design, software, product development, procurement, business area development) that are used all over the world, including in antartica. I was also in 2 distinct situations where the car I was in flew for a few meters (I was driving on one of them). I almost drowned once and was saved by a surfer (who only saw me because he hit my head with the board). I've been "arrested" (very funny stories) and released within a few minutes in 3 different European countries(UK, France and Slovakia), I was in Wuhan 2 months before the Covid pandemic started! And so on...

Fuck me... Your life must be sooooo fucking boring now... 

Nö wonder you come to spead your wisdom on tt... 

The main advantage with investing in property is that a bank will actually lend you the money to do it. Nobody will lend normal people money to risk on the stock market. It's that magic word "leverage". It's accessible in a way that other investments simply aren't for mere mortals.

I wish I was a stock market whizz kid who could spot the next Apple or Amazon and just pile my money into those but I'm not. It would be a pure gamble, so I invest a very small sum on a boring ETF that will never set the world on fire.

I do know a bit about property. I can fix stuff when it breaks. I never paid rent in my life but it's not for everyone.

1 hour ago, murphaph said:

Nobody will lend normal people money to risk on the stock market.

Unless they have proper collateral.

5 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

Are you john g in disguise?😂 

( Apart from the technological knowledge)😂

1 hour ago, fraufruit said:

Unless they have proper collateral.

I guess it depends on the jurisdiction. In Ireland for example no bank will let you remortgage your property to buy shares. Stuff like that is expressly forbidden but I have no idea what a German bank would say to such a proposal.

17 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

What if one put up a million in investments or savings as collateral?

Why would one even ask a bank?...

In the next week or 2, I will close a deal where my "dosh" will be invested and I get a rather nice monthly pay out for the rest of my life...

When I croack,...  Lilly gets the lump sum that was invested... 

No... I am not a millionair... well.. not yet... 

Still driving a fucked up old pug407... heating the house with wood burners and living a life that many envy!!.... 

BTW.. when my friends come to drink and socilalise with me, its because they enjoy my hospitallity and not because I has a snazzie house and pool and debt!...

3 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

Why would one even ask a bank?...

Simplz. Borrow the money at 1%. Invest it and make 3 or 20% or anywhere in between.

As I said, I've not done it but many do.

2 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

As I said, I've not done it but many do.

Why not?... if its that simple, you are a fool not to!

then why suggest itß  you know full well that RF is hanging on every investment word you breath!

yes... under the bridge at the end of my huge garden!...