Relocating nearby to Munich

157 posts in this topic

Salaries on a different scale. Fill up the pockets in DE then retire to the homeland. Only thing is, you come to realise the place you left is no longer there 30 years later. UK is certainly not the place I left. All but unrecognisable apart from the countryside. I gather Portugal is fast becoming a Russian colony these days. Plenty of space inland though. I wouldn't mind it myself. I love the place.

29 minutes ago, jeba said:

But will you get a mortage on your sailing boat and your Teslas as easily? Or are you talking about 2 Tesla shares?:lol:

I plan to remain debt free. Only buy what I can pay upfront.

22 minutes ago, optimista said:

Salaries on a different scale. Fill up the pockets in DE then retire to the homeland.

With Corona I am sure that in a few years I will be working remotely for German companies. I already have many friends doing that for many different countries.

22 minutes ago, optimista said:

Only thing is, you come to realise the place you left is no longer there 30 years later. UK is certainly not the place I left. All but unrecognisable apart from the countryside. I gather Portugal is fast becoming a Russian colony these days. Plenty of space inland though. I wouldn't mind it myself. I love the place.

I go there 4 or 5 times a year, my son has 2-3 weeks of sailing lessons per year and stays there 3 months in total.

Unsure if you mean the country changing fast or the outsourcing changing fast. I guess both.

BMW moved 1400 SW jobs to Portugal. Bosche has already 3000 engineers there. All high tech projects.

As a country, what I see is that real estate became much more expensive than when I left. Still much cheaper than in Germany, but now you have to choose your location more carefully.

So it would be better to at least buy a plot before. I think there will be a crisis within the next 2 years and then maybe it's time to invest.

The upside is that construction quality and urban planning has been improving dramatically since 1990. This also means that a lot of interesting opportunities show up in the countryside. Before, you had to buy in town, otherwise a pig farmhouse could be build close by. Now, even on the country side the proper planning allows large areas designed just for upscale villas or "quintas". As I prefer a nice villa in the countryside, it's even better for me than it was 8 years ago.

Not everyone can work remotely. In fact most people can't (effectively, productively) do so. Even in jobs where it's theoretically possible it's not always desirable, just like huge open plan offices were all the rage for a while, working from home will recede back to more normal levels after Covid. A lot of people want to physically separate work and home life.

That's what I reckon anyway. 

5 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

As a country, what I see is that real estate became much more expensive than when I left. Still much cheaper than in Germany, but now you have to choose your location more carefully.

So it would be better to at least buy a plot before. I think there will be a crisis within the next 2 years and then maybe it's time to invest.

Plenty of Germany is cheap if you choose your location more carefully.  You can compare real estate prices in Munich vs. middle of nowhere Portugal and you can compare Lisbon's prices to middle of nowhere Germany and pretty much get the same results.

I had a Portugese coworker though on one of my projects who was in his 30's and already planning his return to Portugal, had bought land and was building a house.  He did not have a profession that would have allowed him to work from home but seemed content that he might not make a lot of money back home, possibly not get a full time job but it's ok because everybody helps each other.

2 hours ago, LeonG said:

Plenty of Germany is cheap if you choose your location more carefully.  You can compare real estate prices in Munich vs. middle of nowhere Portugal and you can compare Lisbon's prices to middle of nowhere Germany and pretty much get the same results.

Very well said!

Indeed. My partner Nicole grew up in Bad Sachsa ( Harz ) and places are incredibly cheap. Much cheaper than buying a ruin on Crete - even in our village here on Crete.

It would be worth our while moving there except for the fact that:

in the middle of nowhere

long winter 

our kids are in Hamburg and Amsterdam

We actually checked out places there before deciding against some moons ago. And moved to Crete.

People pay Munich prices because they don't want to live in bumfuck. 

It's all a choice. No right or wrong.

I enjoy being able to do all of my shopping within a 10 minute walk. Doctors and everything close by. Loads of restaurants, etc. and I don't need a car. Good public transport (once the virus is over).

And I dont wanna know what the neighbour is shagging or cooking....

Horses for Courses!!  ( and donkeys fuck donkeys)... 

I guess our neighbors don't shag. We never hear them. Only notice cooking smells in warm weather when windows are open. They only make me hungry. Haven't had any complaints about our grilling or anything else for that matter. I suppose we are lucky.

Our French psycho neighbour is not shagging his wife- they are arguing again!😂

1 hour ago, fraufruit said:

I guess our neighbors don't shag. We never hear them.

It's when you hear the vaccuum cleaner :D

4 hours ago, LeonG said:

One of my choices is 15 minutes from Porto's airport, 20 minutes from Porto, 5 minutes from sea, underground connection to Porto, in one of the best spots in the north. Still very cheap, except if you want to be right in front of the sea (which I don't!).

Porto and Lisbon are getting very expensive because of foreign moving in (like in Munich) but also because of the fucking hipsters that rather pay a shitty apartment for 40 years than dare to tell all friends they live outside the city. Fortunately I hate city living, I grew up in a very well developed mall town (40.000) 20 minutes from Porto and for me that's perfect.

Mike! Rapaz! That doesn‘t work in our village! Carpets don‘t exist! Cold but bloody cold floors this time of year! Sunshine outside of a day ( great winter this year ) but freezing at home.

11 hours ago, optimista said:

Portugal is fast becoming a Russian colony these days.

I hope not. Cyprus has many Russians, e.g. Limassol where most restaurants have menus in Russian language. Sometimes, locals talked Russian to me, but then I replied "Njet Russki" :).

1 hour ago, MikeMelga said:

except if you want to be right in front of the sea (which I don't!).

God no. All those seaview properties get beat up like Hell by the winter storms...

13 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

I dont know what is he talking about.. but I know where he is talking out of...

If Portugal is soo gooood and soooo cheap, Why does he live in Dull Deutschland? 

Well- work and family are usually the main reasons.

1 hour ago, Metall said:

God no. All those seaview properties get beat up like Hell by the winter storms...

Ah- but the other seasons are a delight!  And clean-up and repairs are jolly!😉