Gwyn Evans, FBG co organiser

8 posts in this topic

Gwyn Evans who used to coorganise the Friday Beer Garden (and eat curry) died at home from a pulmonary embolism (blood clot in lung) On the night of Wednesday 24 Feb 2021

Hi friends

Some of you might already know that Gwyn passed away in his sleep on Wednesday night.

It was something I never expected and has shocked everyone I've spoken to.

I am proposing a short meetup on Friday (tonight) between 8pm and 9pm to remember Gwyn.

Click on https://meet.jit.si/FridayBeergarden to join in. And stay on as long as you like.

Please feel free to let other people know who knew Gwyn

Stay safe

Ian

Tonight, more than 50 people from the Munich FBG joined online to remember Gwyn. His mother from Wales was also present. Very touching.

Does anyone know about the funeral arrangements? I am sure I am not the only one who would pay their respects if time, place, and corona regulations allow.

I don't think there will really be a funeral. Last Friday night's tribute was the de facto funeral.

His mother and sister don't expect to be able to travel over to Munich. The mother of his son is probably handling things like that.

At a guess he'll have a low key cremation, and get his ashes scattered in his favourite 10 beergardens.

Actually I've just received the following information

Gwyn's Abschied: Today Tue 2 Mar
Aetas, Baldurstr 39, 1st slot 15 till 16, 2nd slot 16 till 17

It's a private occasion to say good bye. No formal/black clothing, wreaths etc. are necessary or even expected - it'll be very casual.

We'll meet in a nice room, the casket is in one half of the room (there are dividing doors between 2 halves, that can be closed.)
Everybody can say their good bye to Gwyn, and tell him whatever you wanted him to know.

Everybody can bring something to give to Gwyn for his last journey - a souvenir, photo, letter.. Anything small and flammable. You can bring flowers if you want but it's not expected.

You can tell me if you can think of which music Gwyn would like.

There'll be paint to paint the casket.

Mask are required the whole time.

We're only allowed to have 10 people group on the premises at one time  - please keep your time slot and don't hung around.(e.g. chatting with those coming /leaving)
We'll inform the flexible which group you're on tomorrow morning.

Thank you for being there for Gwyn and for each other.

He will be cremated but that is a private event

And finally from the facebook group "All things Gwyn"

It's never easy to deal with the loss of beloved person, and if possible it's even more difficult now, in the middle of pandemics, with no groups allowed and public life shut down.

Let's plan a meeting to celebrate Gwyn's memory for the preliminary date of 3rd April, let's say 3pm. Let's plan what can we do on that date as we get closer - I know Gwyn would like to meet in a beergarten, if that's still not possible we could go for a walk, or have a Helles or 2 at the Isar.. For now let's just keep the date - and we'll post more details as we get closer.

See you then

I made a mistake in publishing the first event above. While I understood it was ok, and even desired to publish it: it wasn't.

Some people are upset that they were close to Gwyn and not invited to something I published and I apologize for this.

The 2nd event is open to all and published on the "All thing Gwyn" facebook page