Travel to UK to obtain COVID-19 vaccine faster?

10 posts in this topic

Germany is going to take a loooong time to vaccinate its way through the age band population compared to UK.

Not only due to stock / supply / contract issues, but also simply by the fact that Germany has a much older population, and will be slowed down spending considerably more time on age bands 80+, 70+, 60+.

Some Germans in UK may choose to travel to Germany to secure a Pfizer vaccine, such is the mistrust over the Astra Zeneca one.

So... given both UK and EU nationals can carry on using their EHIC cards in eachothers' countries post-Brexit, should brits 40+ and 50+ (health impact is greater 40+, than for under 40s) in Germany travel to UK to get a vaccine earlier, while Germany spends most of this year on 80+, 70+, 60+?

Note: current travel restrictions in Germany and UK will probably relax by the summer.

The EHIC card is supposed to be used for emergency treatment while you are on holiday in an EU country not for 'normal' treatment as it is better in a foreign country than your own country.

The only way that you will be able to travel to another country to be vaccinated if it that country offers the vaccination privately and then you will pay for it. Maybe that will happen at some point in the future but probably not this year, as even the UK with their quicker rollout of the vaccine will need most of the year (if not longer) to vaccinate the population and to try to convince the stragglers/anti-vaxxers to have the vaccine.

If you are still registered with a Dr in the UK then this may be possible as you will still be on their list of patients so you will be contact when it's your turn but this is different than using the EHIC card.

Hope I'm not hijacking this thread, do not want to stray from the topic. But I notice that to travel currently to the UK, you need to have a negative coronavirus test written in English, Spanish or French. Not German... interesting, can you get a print-out of your results here in English? Translations are not allowed, it has to be the correct language in the original...

1 hour ago, Sumarokov-Elston said:

Hope I'm not hijacking this thread, do not want to stray from the topic. But I notice that to travel currently to the UK, you need to have a negative coronavirus test written in English, Spanish or French. Not German... interesting, can you get a print-out of your results here in English? Translations are not allowed, it has to be the correct language in the original...

I have seen at a rapid test center at an airport that you could order the test results in a bunch of different languages. Not sure if that is available at all test centers thought.

7 hours ago, Sumarokov-Elston said:

I had the test done at FRA prior to flying to DXB last year, and the certificate came through in English. 

Subjecting yourself to air or rail travel - maybe you are thinking of driving - is likely a pretty good way of getting infected. It must surely be statistically more risky than staying put and waiting patiently. Crossing continents and juggling the systems sounds like queue jumping to me. There's always one. And the vaccines are not a fool-proof solution. On balance I think I would stay put. You may be one of those lucky bastards who stay asymptomatic or only suffer a slight headache for a day or two anyway.

Many Americans are heading back the US I read today and I can only image many Brits will be considering it, if Germany continues to lag many months behind. I wouldn't say it is really the right thing to do but it must be easy enough to re-register with a GP. Maybe when most of the UK is vaccinated and has some vaccines left over, then it is fair game. I think the risk of flying now is negible. Despite the 1000s flying every day, few cases are reported from planes.