Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

What do do when you find a damaged item when in line at the supermarket

What to do in a supermarket queue when you find the item is damaged but not perishable   25 votes

1. 1. Two parties are ahead of you (the first bothering the cashier), four behind you, and you find the last item in your basket is covered in carton glue and bits of carton, but is not perishable or leaking. What do you do?

• You put all your things in your basket again, leave the line and put it back in the shelf.
    • You put all your things in your basket again, leave the line and find an attendant to yell at.
    • You put it beside the belt for staff to find and discard later.
    • You wait until its your turn, barely keep the cashier from scanning it and hold everyone up because you need to go back into the shop to get another one.
    • You wait until its your turn and hand it to the cashier to discard.
    • You buy the item anyway because letting it go to waste is bad for the planet and you have plenty of time to clean it once you get home.
    • You have reached Nirvana and are not bothered by mundane things like this.

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

41 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, john g. said:

I am never sure these days if a cookie is someone I can eat or give permission to when I click onto a website.馃槀馃槱

Exactly how many "someone" cookies have you eaten聽:lol::lol:

:D
Sorry, Susie!! Put it down to my poor eyesight or unlived fantasies!鉂わ笍馃憤

4 hours ago, dessa_dangerous said:

I wanna shop at your store!

- and I would be glad to welcome you to come to my store!

It is all to do with the HACCP rules and regulations, which even state that at the till, staff have the very last opportunity to check if goods are suitable for sale or not. However, it would appear that there are regional differences as to how seriously this is taken - sorry!

Cashiers here often open your egg cartons to make sure none are cracked. I assume they do that everywhere? I usually do it myself anyhow. If a product isn't spoiled or actually open, I don't care if there's glue stuck on it. I'm sure my visitors (few as they are) will not be offended聽that my offbrand cola-orange flavoured Jaffa cake box is not pristine.聽聽

On 20/02/2021, 16:02:42, LukeSkywalker said:

What about checking the cash receipt? I checked it today and noticed my avocado was charged 鈧2,79聽instead of 鈧0,99 since it was on sale. I observed that I'm one of few customers checking the receipt. Old school. I got the 鈧1,80 back.:)

聽I may have been the minority who always asked for the receipt, even before the switch where they now have to ask. And I often give it a quick double check, too.

Some months back, I was doing a quite large聽weekly shop, and noticed the聽total was still higher than expected. Hmm. I paid it, but it really prickled me so checked the receipt. The cashier, an older lady but a regular, had rung up a couple grapefruits by weight (usually it's per piece), but used some code for IIRC rare specialty plums or something, so they cost about 20鈧. Of course I went back for the refund. If it's just a euro or two though, I just shrug and remind myself to knick some gum next time or pull the organic label off of a cucumber. (Ha Ha... Ha... Just joking, of course)

I went to an Asialaden some weeks ago and only noticed on the receipt as I was throwing it out that I was charged twice for a large pack of (udon) noodles I only had one of. 5鈧. Bit miffed, as it's the only good Asia laden in town but really out of my way.

1 hour ago, alderhill said:

Cashiers here often open your egg cartons to make sure none are cracked.

I've heard two explanations for that, one, the above, and second, to make sure you haven't tried use the聽carton to conceal and steal other items.聽 Considering that the eggs are usually cracked on the bottom, I'll go with the second explanation.聽 When I buy eggs I lift up each one individually to make sure none are cracked and glued onto the bottom.聽

pull the organic label off of a cucumber. (Ha Ha... Ha... Just joking, of course)

You have obviously already done this.聽 Why lie?

..,went to an Asialaden some weeks ago and only noticed on the receipt as I was throwing it out that I was charged twice for a large pack of (udon) noodles I only had one of. 5鈧.

Yeah, it's almost always to your disadvantage. Hardly the other way around.

2 hours ago, alderhill said:

Cashiers here often open your egg cartons to make sure none are cracked. I assume they do that everywhere? I usually do it myself anyhow. If a product isn't spoiled or actually open, I don't care if there's glue stuck on it. I'm sure my visitors (few as they are) will not be offended聽that my offbrand cola-orange flavoured Jaffa cake box is not pristine.聽聽

聽I may have been the minority who always asked for the receipt, even before the switch where they now have to ask. And I often give it a quick double check, too.

Some months back, I was doing a quite large聽weekly shop, and noticed the聽total was still higher than expected. Hmm. I paid it, but it really prickled me so checked the receipt. The cashier, an older lady but a regular, had rung up a couple grapefruits by weight (usually it's per piece), but used some code for IIRC rare specialty plums or something, so they cost about 20鈧. Of course I went back for the refund. If it's just a euro or two though, I just shrug and remind myself to knick some gum next time or pull the organic label off of a cucumber. (Ha Ha... Ha... Just joking, of course)

I went to an Asialaden some weeks ago and only noticed on the receipt as I was throwing it out that I was charged twice for a large pack of (udon) noodles I only had one of. 5鈧. Bit miffed, as it's the only good Asia laden in town but really out of my way.

I always check the receipt at REWE and for any angebotes in particular.聽 I get a hit rate of probably 1 receipt in 3 where I've been overcharged at my local REWE

33 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

there are no XL Jumbos. I forgot.

The week before Christmas, Penny had those.聽

Just the once. I bought two boxes. Kid#4 and I wondered over every single one as we broke them and found 2 yolks. Amazing.

It has not happened before or since, and I have been checking every time. I so wish they were always there - they were brilliant.聽

2 hours ago, alderhill said:

Cashier never checked my eggs. Then again I do it myself anyway and I am in a big city. I always ask for a receipt too.聽I once walked out and the damn detector beeped. Luckily I had a receipt to prove my innocence.聽

26 minutes ago, Narjiz said:

I always ask for a receipt too.聽I once walked out and the damn detector beeped. Luckily I had a receipt to prove my innocence.聽

So, what did you buy? Razor blades or a聽big family pack of condoms where they put in a metal tag 馃懟?

32 minutes ago, LukeSkywalker said:

a big family pack of condoms

That's a bit oxymoronic!:)

2 hours ago, fraufruit said:

Are you sure they don't check your eggs to make sure you didn't put XL Jumbo eggs in a S box? Oh yea, there are no XL Jumbos. I forgot.

The stores I shop at have three kinds of eggs: Bodenhaltung, Freiland, and Bio.聽 I buy Freiland for my conscience but in truth I want the biggest eggs they have! If it were Freiland S vs Bodenhaltung XL, XL would win :ph34r:聽The stores around here don't specify, though, not that I've seen, anyway.

5 hours ago, kiplette said:

The week before Christmas, Penny had those.聽

Just the once. I bought two boxes. Kid#4 and I wondered over every single one as we broke them and found 2 yolks. Amazing.

It has not happened before or since, and I have been checking every time. I so wish they were always there - they were brilliant.聽

I always buy Jumbo eggs. Once I found the entire carton had double yolked eggs.

O/T, kind of. In my teens my folks had an egg ranch (Southern California) of 3000 hens. Hens' bodies have to get used to laying eggs - they may start out with very small, 'pullet' eggs, and even soft-shelled eggs. Those have a membrane, but no shell. My prize find one day was an elongated egg close to four inches in length: it had five yolks.

One of the few reasons anyone would want to stay in our godforsaken聽Cretan village? Best eggs in the world!

There! I said it!!馃憤
The yoke is always there and the white bit! Glorious!

12 minutes ago, katheliz said:

My prize find one day was an elongated egg close to four inches in length: it had five yolks.

Ooh. Treasure indeed.聽:)

14 hours ago, LukeSkywalker said:

So, what did you buy? Razor blades or a聽big family pack of condoms where they put in a metal tag 馃懟?

:lol::lol::lol:

Nescafe Gold聽

12 hours ago, katheliz said:

My prize find one day was an elongated egg close to four inches in length: it had five yolks.

You sure that was an egg?

What I聽miss are goose eggs. One weekend stand where I聽lived years ago聽would occasionally have them. They're like 3-4 chicken eggs in one bigger oblong shell, far bigger yoke, and much richer taste.聽They were only available sporadically,聽as the lady running the stand said geese generally聽lay seasonally聽and somewhat unpredictably.聽

22 hours ago, dessa_dangerous said:

You have obviously already done this.聽 Why lie?

Plausible deniability.聽