Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

What do do when you find a damaged item when in line at the supermarket

What to do in a supermarket queue when you find the item is damaged but not perishable   25 votes

1. 1. Two parties are ahead of you (the first bothering the cashier), four behind you, and you find the last item in your basket is covered in carton glue and bits of carton, but is not perishable or leaking. What do you do?

• You put all your things in your basket again, leave the line and put it back in the shelf.
    • You put all your things in your basket again, leave the line and find an attendant to yell at.
    • You put it beside the belt for staff to find and discard later.
    • You wait until its your turn, barely keep the cashier from scanning it and hold everyone up because you need to go back into the shop to get another one.
    • You wait until its your turn and hand it to the cashier to discard.
    • You buy the item anyway because letting it go to waste is bad for the planet and you have plenty of time to clean it once you get home.
    • You have reached Nirvana and are not bothered by mundane things like this.

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

41 posts in this topic

Suppose you are at Aldi's, only one register is open, there are parties ahead and behind you, everyone is in a rush and you find one item is damaged but not in danger of spoiling or ruining anything else.

10 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

I give up, what happens when you are at Aldi's, only one register is open, there are parties ahead and behind you, everyone is in a rush and you find one item is damaged but not in danger of spoiling or ruining anything else?

Normally the cashier should notice the problem and ask if you would like to go and get a replacement...

11 minutes ago, robinson100 said:

Normally the cashier should notice the problem

I wanna shop at your store!  Twice recently I got to the Kasse only to realize my item was leaking (one was boxed kondensmilch, the other was Spülmittel).  Not only did the cashiers *not* notice, they did not care one bit, and I actually got into a nasty argument with the kondensmilch cashier, who blamed me for picking up an item that was next to a damaged item, claimed it wasn't leaking, and yelled at me for getting her kassenband dirty.  The Spülmittel lady hardly saw what the problem was with me buying and transporting a leaking ass bottle of soap with my groceries, but there was at least no fight, and she grudgingly consented to let me select a different bottle after ringing up the rest of my items.

Good old servicewüste Berlin.

What about checking the cash receipt? I checked it today and noticed my avocado was charged €2,79 instead of €0,99 since it was on sale. I observed that I'm one of few customers checking the receipt. Old school. I got the €1,80 back.:)

5 minutes ago, LukeSkywalker said:

What about checking the cash receipt?

I used to check the receipt religiously, but since corona, all I want is OUT. OF. THERE.  So many carts.  So much mask.  Aaagh.  Keep my money, just get me the fuck outta here.

I have got in to a routine of checking all fruit etc  as much as I can for mold, damage etc.

We also check pretty much everything to make sure it's ok as it's such a hassle to sort it afterwards. Even though everyone in the queue knows it's not our fault etc, it is still holding people up.

1 hour ago, dessa_dangerous said:

I wanna shop at your store!  Twice recently I got to the Kasse only to realize my item was leaking (one was boxed kondensmilch, the other was Spülmittel).  Not only did the cashiers *not* notice, they did not care one bit, and I actually got into a nasty argument with the kondensmilch cashier, who blamed me for picking up an item that was next to a damaged item, claimed it wasn't leaking, and yelled at me for getting her kassenband dirty.  The Spülmittel lady hardly saw what the problem was with me buying and transporting a leaking ass bottle of soap with my groceries, but there was at least no fight, and she grudgingly consented to let me select a different bottle after ringing up the rest of my items.

Good old servicewüste Berlin.

Accept responsibility. It was your fault. This has never happened to me. Very German of you to put the responsibility onto someone else. Grow up!

I am never sure these days if a cookie is someone I can eat or give permission to when I click onto a website.😂😩