Is anybody cutting their own hair?

83 posts in this topic

I just finished doing mine with clippers and I must say that the most annoying part of it all, crappy result notwithstanding, is the quantity of short prickly hairs that evade the broom and colonise my underwear, causing me days of torment afterward.

I've been clipping myself since Lockdown. Doesn't look great, but with Lockdown, who's going to be looking at me anyway! 

I won't be tempted back into a salon until I've had my jabs, regardless of what the Bundesregierung have decided. Its putting alot of faith in these face masks, and if you are required to have your hair washed, doesn't a wet face mask make it disfunctional anyway?   

44 minutes ago, alexunterwegs said:

and if you are required to have your hair washed, doesn't a wet face mask make it disfunctional anyway?

Mask doesn't get wet. They are professionals. My girl never got my face wet before corona.

The hair color does ruin the elastic thingies on the mask. No problem - take the same one next time.

3 hours ago, bauman said:

I just finished doing mine with clippers and I must say that the most annoying part of it all, crappy result notwithstanding, is the quantity of short prickly hairs that evade the broom and colonise my underwear, causing me days of torment afterward.

ha! that sounds familiar ;) 

I'll let you in on a few secrets of mine how to handle this:

before you start cutting, remove all unnecessary objects (towels, utensils, bath-rugs...) from the area around your bathroom sink where you will be cutting your hair. 
Dry the sink and plug it, to prevent clippings from falling in and clogging your drain later.

Keep the vacuum cleaner handy while you are cutting.

Get naked, you can't get clippings in your underwear if you're not wearing anything ;) 

When you're done with your clippers, use the vacuum cleaner to suck up as much of the hair as possible, even out of the sink.

After the dry clipping part, I also have a wet cutting part to do - if you don't do that, you can step into your shower now. 

Otherwise, take your shower after you're done with the wet/scissors part of your haircut.

If you want to take this to the highest level of perfection, plan your next thorough bathroom cleaning activities (I hope for your sake that you're doing that often) for right after a haircut.

3 hours ago, bauman said:

Solution : 
Change your undies afterwards...

Or at least daily.

What if there was a bus accident ?

I asked my partner to do it for me. She started very cautiously and i could not see much change happening. I got impatient and took charge myself. It led to my back side looking like newly uprooted carrot field with patches here and there.

In the end we went for the kill - everything gone. 

Its fine except for wind chill factor hitting my top floor during my evening walks :P

signal-2021-02-24-234327_004 (1).jpeg

31 minutes ago, RajeshG said:

Its fine except for wind chill factor hitting my top floor during my evening walks :P.

I heard about an object you can place on top of your head that deals with such situation. I think it's called a hat or a cap, but I'm not sure 👻.

3 hours ago, fraufruit said:

Himself trims his hair standing in the shower naked then washes off all the hair.:lol:

doesn't work for me - my mirror cabinet hangs over the sink, not in the shower ;)

1 minute ago, fraufruit said:

He doesn't need a mirror. All one length.

that works for some people - kinda boring, though 

2 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

He doesn't need a mirror. All one length.

Ah, army cut. I got one on the premises of my university in England. Paid £2. Finished in less than 4 minutes. Great to be a man. No fancy stuff.

On 23.2.2021, 13:39:13, kiplette said:

. I guess that even though we are on the third pair of clippers in 20 years, we have saved muchly.

5 minutes ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Paid £2

Or maybe not :lol:

13 minutes ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Ah, army cut. I got one on the premises of my university in England. Paid £2. Finished in less than 4 minutes. Great to be a man. No fancy stuff.

It makes the choice easy when on has about 400 hairs on one's head.B)

I cut my own hair, also my wife curly hair.

She's my picky client but at the end is happy, especially when I am with the razor in hand she's not complaining at all.

I have an hair stylist scissors set plus an electric trimmer, more than enough.

2 hours ago, LukeSkywalker said:

I heard about an object you can place on top of your head that deals with such situation. I think it's called a hat or a cap, but I'm not sure 👻.

yes you are right @LukeSkywalker.

Actually what i meant to say was that i had not realised how much insulation/protection one gets from our hair, when i went out after this haircut.

Later i followed your suggestion. :rolleyes:

I do it all the time. I let it grow to about 21 cm, then cut it and send it to a company that makes wigs for kids with cancer, 

On 02/03/2021, 15:27:52, HH_Sailor said:

Change your undies afterwards...

Or at least daily.

Just for the record, let it be known that I do change my undies daily.

That said, I also clip my hair nude in the bathroom but I still manage to get cactus pants somehow. I remember once wearing a t-shirt while clipping and then putting it in the laundry basket with everything else. I got a week's worth of hairy shirts from that mistake.