Is anybody cutting their own hair?

71 posts in this topic

After several months of lockdown I need a haircur. I am now pass the Mad Scientist stage and am well into the Hippie stage. The hair covers my ears and tickles them. It is so long that it gets matted when I comb it. I am tempted to buy an electric trimmer. The front and sides  should be doable but the back could pose a problem.

I have been cutting mine for years.  But I am a woman.

I cut my husband’s hair, too, during these strange times.

As a female it isn’t so much an issue for me to let it grow. As for my husband I cut it after watching some youtube videos last year and have been doing his hair since the first lockdown. I think it looks decent. Not professional quality but good enough that I think no one would notice unless looking real hard and real close. I used a trimmer and used 3 or 4 guard on the sides and 7 or 8 guard on the top. Did this about once a month and have gotten better with time. The first time I just trimmed it all with the same guard. 

I've been cutting my own hair since 1981. Yes, I know, some people here think it looks "funny". I don't care. Some other random people asked me, where I go to have my hair cut. If you'd like to watch me cut my hair, just find me on Youtube - I'm sure you'll get a kick outa that ;) and the other stuff on my channel.

I also cut my husband's (longer than mine) and my dad's (he prefers "old fashioned") hair. When my daughter was little, I cut hers too (not short, though). 

2 hours ago, colincostello said:

After several months of lockdown I need a haircur. I am now pass the Mad Scientist stage and am well into the Hippie stage. The hair covers my ears and tickles them. It is so long that it gets matted when I comb it. I am tempted to buy an electric trimmer. The front and sides  should be doable but the back could pose a problem.

for the back of your head you need a second mirror (hard to do) or simply one of those bathroom wall cabinets with three mirror doors. That's how I cut my hair.

5 minutes ago, karin_brenig said:

Yes, I know, some people here think it looks "funny". I don't care.

Commenting because you don't care-- I think it does look unique, but not unprofessional (or home cut).  And +1 on the double mirror.  As many mirrors as possible, and it takes practice.  In the end, OP will simply mess up a few times.  After 5+ times, you begin to get the hand of the hand-mirror-eye coordination and it starts to look more professionally done.  It saves a ton of money too.  I wouldn't know really, though, because I'm a penguin and have only feathers.  

Yep

Missed my chance to get it cut in December, it was just getting longer and longer

Then I decided to cut it myself, of course it turned out much to short, especially on the back and sides, but I feel much better now about it

I will still go back to my hairdresser after lockdown, as she does a much better job than I did on my first attempt,  I had to do it though and the look is not crazy important to me. Just the short hair feeling is great

14 minutes ago, karin_brenig said:

I've been cutting my own hair since 1981. Yes, I know, some people here think it looks "funny". I don't care.

Glad to hear it- keep trimming!

Oh, and the original SP commentator has a very weird cut on their meme!!!

2 hours ago, karin_brenig said:

some people here think it looks "funny"

enough fashionable young people in my neighborhood are running around with exactly this haircut that you must obviously be the trendsetter for what is cool and hip in Berlin-Neukölln... see you at the next gallery opening ;)

I've been cutting my own hair for the past few years as well using something similar to the Philips QC558040, which you can buy from Amazon. It's fairly easy to use once you get used to it and much quicker/easier/cheaper than going to the barbers if you only have short hair. I used to go to the barbers every 2 weeks so this has saved me a small fortune over the last few years.

The price is about double what I paid a few years ago but I suppose with lockdown lots of other men with short hair have also discovered it.

I have a very high quality clipper for the dog, so we invested in some longer blades (40 Euros) for these clippers for my chap. We could have bought an entire set of clippers for less,  but crap quality.

he has had 6 haircuts from me so the blades have paid for themselves. And the dog is happy to share.

I've been cutting my hair for decades as well although I have visited barbers occasionally in between.  I currently have a Philips QC5070 or 5090 I bought in 2009 and still works.  You can't buy it anymore but you can still buy parts for it.  

53 minutes ago, Auntie Helen said:

I have a very high quality clipper for the dog, so we invested in some longer blades (40 Euros) for these clippers for my chap. We could have bought an entire set of clippers for less,  but crap quality.

he has had 6 haircuts from me so the blades have paid for themselves. And the dog is happy to share.

I am obviously going to the wrong barbers when 6 haircuts cost around €40

(so in my book - lets say €7 each.)

But then I don't have a dog to share...

I trimmed the fringe of swmbo, and she has trimmed mine (twice in 30 years).

Yeah, I cut my own hair during this lockdown. I bought haircutter‘s scissors and watched a YouTube video. I am really happy with the results and will probably do it more often now.