Can I still keep my registration (anmeldung) if I sublet the apartment I've rented to someone else?

2 posts in this topic

Hello! 

I need to move to another country temporarily (for an unknown period of time), and I want to sublet my furnished apartment (which I've also rented) to someone else.  I understand that  the new person (untermieter) should have the right to register his/her name officially in the apartment. However, I also need to be able to keep my city registration/anmeldung in the same apartment for various reasons.   Is this possible?  To be precise, is it officially possible that both the renter (mieter) and sub-renter (untermieter) are registered at the same time in the same place? 

I'll appreciate it if you share your experience or refer me to the precise act of law in this regard. 

I need to be able to make my decision in the next couple of weeks...

Many thanks already! 

first you need to make sure your rental contract even allows "Untermiete". Once you have permission from the landlord, you technically become your tenant's landlord for registration purposes. You have to give them the "Wohnungsgeberbescheinigung". 

Since you are still the main tenant, you have to stay registered at that address. Make sure you don't stay away from Germany for too long, to keep your status intact.