getting my covid jab

27 posts in this topic

Hallo from the UK where I have been stranded for several months due to both covid and brexit. Just had a phone call from my surgery. Got a slot in 2 days time to get my covid 19 vaccination injection. I am very happy. Apparently, I get a card to prove it. Will this help get me back to me beloved Berlin? I hope so. But I will not be going crazy just yet. The vaccine takes a few days to kick in. Even then , I will carry on much as the same.

It seems to me that the UK is far ahead of the EU in this respect. It shows the downside of the EU which is an inability to make important decisions  quickly.

5 minutes ago, colincostello said:

Hallo from the UK where I have been stranded for several months due to both covid and brexit. Just had a phone call from my surgery. Got a slot in 2 days time to get my covid 19 vaccination injection.

Did you move back to the UK? Or is the UK vaccinating non-residents? 

You know you will need 2 jabs, right? You may have to get your 2nd one over there in order to get the same one. I don't think they are doing mix-and-match. At least not yet.

20 minutes ago, engelchen said:

Did you move back to the UK? Or is the UK vaccinating non-residents? 

Some people overlook deregistering with their GP and the NHS when they move abroad.  If you are still on their books,, the GP will not ask for proof.  Not so of course for a new patient.    Do not think the vaccine will speed up entry because UK is high risk due to numbers and the worry about new mutant ninja UK Covid.  And you can still get it and pass it on to someone after getting vaccine.  So,, a negative test will be needed before travel, there is some form filling and a strict  quarantine and alert local health authorites.  As per

https://www.rki.de/DE/Content/InfAZ/N/Neuartiges_Coronavirus/Transport/Merkblatt_Reisende_EN.pdf?__blob=publicationFile

Did you get clarification about which documents you will need to prove you are resident here? 

6 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

Some people overlook deregistering with their GP and the NHS when they move abroad.  If you are still on their books,, the GP will not ask for proof. 

That wasn't my question. My question is whether non- residents are entitled to the vaccine. 

Did you get clarification about which documents you will need to prove you are resident here? 

The real question is if the OP received the vaccine solely due to him being resident in the UK, is being vaccinated proof that he gave up his residence in Germany and moved back to the UK before Brexit.

Disclaimer: I don't know the requirements to get vaccinated in the UK.

16 minutes ago, engelchen said:

That wasn't my question. My question is whether non- residents are entitled to the vaccine. 

The UK does not de-register and register people.

Any Tom, Dick and Harry can walk into a vaccination center and get the jab.

12 minutes ago, RenegadeFurther said:

The UK does not de-register and register people.  Any Tom, Dick and Harry can walk into a vaccination center and get the jab.

Well I deregistered with the NHS via my GP when I left, as I knew I was supposed to.  But what was meant here, was would Germany perhaps regard OP as no longer resident in DE as he was getting free NHS treatment in the UK, which is (supposed to be) only allowed when you are cosidered a resident there.  That meaning, that the UK will probably not notice, but Germany, being Germany, might.

Well I deregistered with the NHS via my GP when I left, as I knew I was supposed to. 

What did you do? Tell your GP you were leaving?

2 minutes ago, RenegadeFurther said:

Yep.  We were removed from the NHS register, and all our records bundled up and sent to a central storage area,  probably never to be seen again.  

19 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

Well I deregistered with the NHS via my GP when I left, as I knew I was supposed to.  But what was meant here, was would Germany perhaps regard OP as no longer resident in DE as he was getting free NHS treatment in the UK, which is (supposed to be) only allowed when you are cosidered a resident there.  That meaning, that the UK will probably not notice, but Germany, being Germany, might.

IIRC the OP is retired and has an S1 to cover his health insurance in Germany. If he starts using the NHS as a local (as opposed to his EHIC from Germany), would this void his S1? Alternatively, would he be eligible for the vaccine as a visitor with foreign health insurance? 

4 minutes ago, engelchen said:

IIRC the OP is retired and has an S1 to cover his health insurance in Germany. If he starts using the NHS as a local (as opposed to his EHIC from Germany), would this void his S1? Alternatively, would he be eligible for the vaccine as a visitor with foreign health insurance? 

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/healthcare-in-germany#getting-treatment-in-the-uk

"Some former UK residents do not have to pay for NHS treatment when visiting England. This includes UK nationals who started living in the EU before 1 January 2021."

Though that is not really clear what that means.  Does it mean retirees in DE whose DE health  costs end up being back charged to the NHS?

2 hours ago, snowingagain said:

Some people overlook deregistering with their GP and the NHS when they move abroad.

I never thought about that until I read this!  I left the UK in 1982 but still paid NI contributions for 4 more years as I was seconded from a UK university.

During that time I certainly had dental checkups / treatment on the occasional visit back home (like Christmas). 

I guess they have no records from 40 years ago...

5 minutes ago, HEM said:

I never thought about that until I read this!  I left the UK in 1982 but still paid NI contributions for 4 more years as I was seconded from a UK university.

During that time I certainly had dental checkups / treatment on the occasional visit back home (like Christmas). I guess they have no records from 40 years ago...

Well not to worry, I do not think they can work out anyway.  Nothing is joined up.  I, however, got ripped off on a trip back to the UK in about 1999.  My young son had a minor accident, but it looked painful and involved his willy, which swelled up.  Went to GP, with EHIC, but they did not understand the process, and charged me 60 quid.  GP suggested Calpol.  60 quid.  So, stupid me for signing off.

1 hour ago, RenegadeFurther said:

I tried to do that. But the crack team of receptionists had no idea what to do. One of them even went to get Sandra, but she had no idea either. In the end I just sort of shrugged and left.

When Covid happened I had a barrage of text messages from the NHS, plus a couple of letters. When someone phoned from the practice I told them again and this seemed to have an effect - although a few days later a different department phoned. 

19 minutes ago, Dembo said:

I tried to do that. But the crack team of receptionists had no idea what to do. One of them even went to get Sandra, but she had no idea either. In the end I just sort of shrugged and left. When Covid happened I had a barrage of text messages from the NHS, plus a couple of letters. When someone phoned from the practice I told them again and this seemed to have an effect - although a few days later a different department phoned. 

The NHS are great about many things, but with clerical and simple processing of information. they suck  They lose so many records. They misplaced test results for both my parents when they had cancer.  And test results when I was pregnant for possible problems..  Too late to redo things.  (Was fine though.)

I left the UK in 1989, I had checks/prescriptions back in the UK until about 2014.

I did tell my doctor/dentist that I was living in Germany, my records dis appeared from the doctors in about 1993, to the black hole I guess. Then I had to go to hospital emergency department.

On each visit I made to hospitals I made, I always told them I was living in Germany, just visiting my mother, they always gave me free doctor consultations and prescriptions, as they said it was covered under the EHIC.

Now we are longer part of the EU, I cannot see how I would get free treatment anymore, without lying, and I do not want to do that.

I know people have a go at the NHS, but it is one of the cheapest/best health care systems in the world -> just look a the COVID-19 deployment story.

3 minutes ago, yesterday said:

I left the UK in 1989, I had checks/prescriptions back in the UK until about 2014.

I did tell my doctor/dentist that I was living in Germany, my records dis appeared from the doctors in about 1993, to the black hole I guess. Then I had to go to hospital emergency department.

On each visit I made to hospitals I made, I always told them I was living in Germany, just visiting my mother, they always gave me free doctor consultations and prescriptions, as they said it was covered under the EHIC.

Now we are longer part of the EU, I cannot see how I would get free treatment anymore, without lying, and I do not want to do that.

I know people have a go at the NHS, but it is one of the cheapest/best health care systems in the world -> just look a the COVID-19 deployment story.

It is looking good.

" Great Britain has left the European Union. However, nothing will change for German citizens with statutory health insurance traveling to the UK. The European health insurance card is still valid. "

https://www.tk.de/techniker/magazin/reisen/auf-reisen/brexit-2079568

53 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

It is looking good.

" Great Britain has left the European Union. However, nothing will change for German citizens with statutory health insurance traveling to the UK. The European health insurance card is still valid. "

https://www.tk.de/techniker/magazin/reisen/auf-reisen/brexit-2079568

That's interesting, I wonder why that is that EHIC still covers healthcare over there. 

I called TK in January and asked them if my TK insurance would cover me in Northern Ireland and they said no, that I would need another insurance for non-EU.

I thought that was part of the agreement, that EHIC issued before 1 jan 2021 are still value in EU ( for BRITs) and in UK for EU peps.

The thing is they only last for o period of time, once they run out it ends.

I thought is was agreed people living in EU as brits, can keep EHIC cards until they die and of course the other way around as well

2 hours ago, HEM said:

I guess they have no records from 40 years ago...

They might be on microfiche somewhere, however,  probably without a projector. ;)

2 hours ago, snowingagain said:

I, however, got ripped off on a trip back to the UK in about 1999.  My young son had a minor accident, but it looked painful and involved his willy, which swelled up.  Went to GP, with EHIC, but they did not understand the process, and charged me 60 quid.  GP suggested Calpol.  60 quid.  So, stupid me for signing off.

You should have sent the bills to your Krankenkasse and theoretically they should have reimbursed you for part of the amount.

I think it will be interesting to see to the type of health insurance irregularities that will be discovered due to Corona in conjunction with Brexit.