Delivery in times of COVID

9 posts in this topic

Hey all :)

I recently moved and so I am now getting things delivered, and I'm trying to figure out what to do. 

It seems like even when paying for installation, etc. companies are now refusing to bring items inside. This is fine for smaller items, but for stuff like big refrigerators, washing machines, etc, and other big items that are impossible for me to lift, I don't know what to do when the delivery guys say they will only leave them outside. I understand this is officially because of COVID, but what I find especially weird is that the guys have no problem coming inside themselves (without the stuff they're delivering) without masks (and refuse to wear them when I ask them to put them on) for signing... bizarre. I'm caught in a place where I don't feel safe because they refuse to wear masks and am frustrated they only come inside to sign stuff while leaving heavy stuff I cannot lift outside  (physically impossible, I tried) 

Any companies anyone know of who can deliver things safely & properly? No idea what to do with large electrical appliances right now...

Before anyone suggests having a friend here to help, because the delivery guys a) give big delivery windows (12hrs or so sometimes), and b ) they're left outside so not safe to just leave until they come over post delivery and my neighbours would probably be annoyed too, c) of course, everyone has meetings during the day and I can't ask them just to sit here 12hrs and be prepared to spontaneously hop off a work call (potentially with a client) at a moments notice... so that is unfortunately not an option. I really need professional delivery people to do this

Thank you!

I‘ve found offering €10-20 Trinkgeld greatly improves their willingness to carry things to their final destination within the house/apartment.

On 15/02/2021, 12:34:07, martinamr said:

I‘ve found offering €10-20 Trinkgeld greatly improves their willingness to carry things to their final destination within the house/apartment.

yea just seems so sad to need to bribe them when I'm already paying for delivery service haha

It was just a suggestion :-)

Of course you‘re free to look for other delivery services which might be more expensive ;-)

On 15/02/2021, 11:35:51, ExPattheDog said:

It seems like even when paying for installation, etc. companies are now refusing to bring items inside.

Are you sure you've actually paid the extra for installation, or just paid for delivery? It seems odd that they'd refuse to install big items if you've paid for that. Maybe you could get in touch with the firms concerned and say you need them to actually install the items and will pay for that. Or contact an electrician to see if they'll bring them inside and install them.

Several firms do say they will deliver, but not install at this time. Some even say they will not bring inside!

So, as  above- do check what you have paid for.

On 15/02/2021, 11:35:51, ExPattheDog said:

I recently moved and so I am now getting things delivered, and I'm trying to figure out what to do. 

When did you move? If recently means after the lockdown started, then you've probably done your ordering online. Have you checked the websites of the stores from which you ordered? I ordered a washing machine last summer including delivery and installation and I distinctly remember Saturn having a link to an extra page where they outlined which services would be provided based on infection rates. IIRC I could have also delayed delivery if my area had gone from installation available to unavailable after I ordered. 

3 hours ago, ExPattheDog said:

yea just seems so sad to need to bribe them when I'm already paying for delivery service haha

You are paying the store and the delivery men don't see that much of it. I live on the 3rd floor without an elevator and tipped everyone who carried heavy furniture/ appliances.

3 hours ago, ExPattheDog said:

This is when I tip- delivery guys who bring in items, Mr Bofrost when he brings the goodies etc Small amount, but a thank you.