Speeding ticket, letter without a fine amount?

10 posts in this topic

I was driving from Berlin to Frankfurt in late November, in December I got a letter from the Thuringer Polizei that i have be caught  driving 30 km/h over the speed limit on a stretch of Autobahn which limitation of 100km/h. But there was no amount to pay mentioned nor any indication of any other sanction.  I have relieved few of those speeding tickets in the past but there always was amount and payment instructions indicated? whats different with this one?

Also , I have been earlier advised to ignore the accompanying declaration of Driver as long I don¨t want to report someone else using the car, and even though I was told I don¨t need to declare family members. So I didn't reposnd, my logic was that perhaps they will send another letter with amount. This time however, I got another letter yesterday, this time from Frankfurt Ordnungsamt asking of behalf ot Thuringen to identify driver ? what's going on with this? Am i in big trouble?

The penalty for 26 to 30 km/h over the speed limit in motorway is 80 EUR and 1 point and potentially one month ban.  They are asking you to identify the driver because this time it is not only money, you will have to surrender your license for one month if you had other speeding tickets in the last 12 months.

In some cases the amount is determined by the prosecuting attorney (ie. Staatsanwalt) depending on your history and record, so that's why the amount is unknown and not yet communicated in the initial letter.

On 2/12/2021, 6:39:47, LukeSkywalker said:

In some cases the amount is determined by the prosecuting attorney (ie. Staatsanwalt) depending on your history and record, so that's why the amount is unknown and not yet communicated in the initial letter.

so I also got 21km/h over limit on 120km autobahn on the same trip but in different bundesland. got €98 penalty plus 1 point ( i got 1 point in the past, in 2017 )  Would this affect the "history" you mention?

7 hours ago, aeroplane said:

Would this affect the "history" you mention?

Yes, each point is accumulated in your record which is kept centrally in Flensburg. After certain time points get removed again.

On 2/23/2021, 1:42:10, Alexnf said:

thanks Alexnf! there is a lot of good info on that page albeit my limited German might be misleading me. So based on this , I assume that I will manage to hold on to my driver licence as it would be lost ( for a month) if I had  another speeding in 12 months time (or i is it in same calendar year?) that would be 26km/h over the limit while my other offence was just 21km/h over the limit...  OK, so now i need to be on my watch as I will now have 2...(or 3 if the one form 2017 still is valid) points in Flensburg.  I was trying to find on the same page how long will those 2 ( or 3) be counted but without success.

Also for my previous offence the "catalog price" was €70 but they charged me almost €100 this is a confusing practice, they seem to add a lot of supposed fees...  is this really legal? 

There is a diagram that explains if you are repeated offender:

https://www.bussgeldkatalog.org/wp-content/uploads/inofgrafik-wiederholungstaeter-geschwindigkeit.png

1 Year   = 12 months from last time, not Calendar Year

Flensburg points (since 2014)

If you had 1 point it is cleared after 2,5 years

2 after 5 years

3 after 10

As for you previous offense , could it be that you were within city limits (innerorts), then it is higher.

37 minutes ago, Alexnf said:

As for you previous offense , could it be that you were within city limits (innerorts), then it is higher.

Nope all was on Autobahn. ( I am rather well behaved driver in the city :-) 

They are waiting until the "driver" is named/identified so that they can issue that person a fine. At present all that is known is who the owner of the vehicle is.