Marriage registration for Non-EU citizens

3 posts in this topic

for a couple( both are non-EU citizens) who got married recently outside Germany and have SEPARATE residence permits and want to register their marriage in Germany, have to register their main apartment together at the SAME address? If the wife is working and the husband is studying in a German university, can't they stay separately nearer to their office/university?

This is the reply received from Rathaus-

"Bei verheirateten Paaren muss ein gemeinsamer Hauptwohnsitz bestimmt werden."

It doesn't make sense to register at the same place even when the couple isn't going to stay there. It's like the wife/husband has to forcibly take a bigger apartment and pay double the rent, only to register their marriage.

Hope you find an answer. Lots of people online have asked the same question online but most came from Germans. Most the answers I found said you have to have the same address to be considered together for tax purposes. A way some got around it is that they have a hauptwohnsitz and a nebenwohnsitz. But the nebenwohnsitz ends up costing extra in taxes.  

Just on your last point... It does not cost double for a husband and wife to live together and no you don't need a bigger apartment for 2 people. I found it is actually cheaper rather than double the rent (plus Nebenkosten)

On 12.2.2021, 13:49:22, Narjiz said:

Most the answers I found said you have to have the same address to be considered together for tax purposes. A way some got around it is that they have a hauptwohnsitz and a nebenwohnsitz. But the nebenwohnsitz ends up costing extra in taxes.  

My husband lives in Westfalen, I live in Stuttgart and will stay here for a while yet, due to a great job (and little to no chance of finding something equivalent in Westfalen, let alone the perils of changing jobs at my age). Upon getting married, I changed my Hauptwohnsitz (main residence) to Westfalen, and registered Stuttgart as Zweitwohnsitz. Stuttgart promptly sent me a questionnaire to be able to assess the taxes for Zweitwohnsitz, which gave me quite a fright, as this hadn't occurred to me at all. However, if you can prove you require a Zweitwohnsitz due to working/studying, then you are exempt from tax for Zweitwohnsitz. Getting the required proof was no problem, and voilà, no taxes due.