Work life balance

4 posts in this topic

I have a question regarding life in Germany. How do employers view scheduling doctors appointments, picking up kids, etc. during the work day. In America I know these things are very frowned upon. I also notice most places open and close around the same times. So how then do people find time for scheduling doctors appointments etc outside the workday?

If you have an option to schedule outside work hours it may be frowned upon if you don't. Many doctors have a couple of days per week that they are open later. If you have a punch clock it's normally expected to punch out.

If you have small kids, too small to get home by themselves and be home alone until you finish work, you could ask your employer to get off early on those days or if you can't, you'll have to find some other way. After school daycare is sometimes an option.

It's going to also depend on how big a company you work for and the nature of the work you do.

An office job where you can just stay late and do the work and no one is waiting for you will be more flexible than working somewhere where you need to be there and people need you to be there. Then there is the amount of people working, can the place manage if you are away for a few hours etc.

Yes, if it's an office job and you have Gleitzeit (flexible work schedule), by all means, block it in your calendar, tell your boss and punch out.