Jobs in Hamburg

46 posts in this topic

Hello there,

My name is Simone and I have been living in Hamburg for 20 months. I came to Hamburg to live with my partner who is a Hamburg native.

As the title of my post suggests, I am looking for work. I have had a number of jobs here in Hamburg, all basic unskilled work, factory work etc... I got the work thru agencies - Zeitarbeit Firmen. I have learned German myself thru work and with help from my partner. The problem with those jobs was that they were only ever temporary - over the holiday periods etc... when the companies needed more workers and then later the companies lay everybody off.

Unfortunately I can't find anything more permanent as I don't have an apprenticeship - Ausbildung. I would love to do an apprenticeship however I have been informed that at 25 years old my chances of a company accepting me for an apprenticeship are not very good. I have looked into doing an apprenticeship for female migrants - migrantinnen - to become a kindergartnertin - unfortunately I have not lived in Germany the required 5 years for that. I have also looked into teaching English - I was informed that I need to pay 1400 Euros to take a Celta course to get the Celta qualification in order to teach English and then I must go freelance and find clients myself. Because I recieve no unemployment benefits (or any other benefits for that matter) and only have money from previous stints in low wage work I don't have the necessary 1400 Euros for that possibility.

Does anyone have any advice? I really am trying my best to make my life here in Germany work but at present it feels a little like doors slamming in my face - I am not sure what possibilities are open to me in the future. I don't want to go back to England, I want to stay here with my partner and build a life but I just don't know how it is going to work out at present.

thankyou

Have you thought about working at the airport? May be possible to get a job with the company who does the Passenger/ luggage control there. You need to find out which company that is and go in person with your resume. Usually there is about one month training and then a theory and practical test, the training may even be paid for. Having german and english is naturally a plus for the job. It is of course shift work. Once you are working at the airport, you can make contacts and maybe even find other jobs there. Just a thought.

Good luck.

Im sorry about your situation. I live in Hamburg too but before that I had a similar problem. I moved to Germany to be with my fella and spent a long time without work. I did an online TEFL course though and now I teach english. The course wasnt that expensive and it was worth it. Some places might consider you without a qualification. If you want to teach english, I think it looks better if you research all the possibilities and enquire in Person about openings. Some places also might train you on the job.

I'm currently working freelance and also looking for a way out, in the form of full time work in Hamburg.

I also believe the best foot in the door is Zeitarbeit. Choosing companies you'd like to work for and just sending an "Initiativ-Bewerbung" may also help - by E-Mail as well. If you are registered unemployed, the Agentur für Arbeit may even pay for postage and for envelopes and photos. They might even pay for a short newspaper notice in the jobs section - has to be applied for. Free job notices and also jobs in Hamburg are here: http://hamburg.kijiji.de/

An application (Bewerbung) must fit in with the standard German CV concept, or it will land in the rubbish bin. Bewerbungstraining is a must if you have no experience.

I've attempted to add as many tips as possible on my Job Page - select my Card link below for website. Each application can cost around 5 Euros each if the correct cardboard backed envelope, plastic clip folder and paper is used, plus postage. The best place to get blue plastic folders with clear front, plus envelopes is Staples.

The photos cost more and must be profi photos and not passport photos - never use photos you made yourself. How you are dressed and placed in the photo is important as is how your face has been lit. Managers look at the photo first! You won't have much chance if you have brightly coloured hair, spiky punk style hair, piercing, or visible tatoos - if you have two heads, don't bother!

If you need photos, this shop has been in Hamburg for decades and knows exactly how to create the best CV photos: foto koehler - don't be put off by the website...

Oh by the way, never staple any paperwork or use a hole-punch for applications. It all sounds over-the-top but some managers want to see how much effort you put into your application before they read the rest!

Good luck

I know people who have got jobs with No qualification and German is not their first language tho they do speak it. Much is who you know and also being in the right spot at the right time but then also using your friends and their contacts as usually this is where many people know of a position whether its an ausbildung or not being available. The Government tell us there are thousand of ausbildung positions still open so must be something available somewhere. Wish you luck anyway

Hi! I've been in Germany for the past eight months with my husband (native German). I have an LLB degree from UOL. What are my chances for getting a job here in Hamburg. Advice anyone?

A friend of mine also has a Bachelor of Law but can't work as a lawyer etc. here in Germany. She therefore works as an underpaid legal assistant in a solicitor's office. Her German is improving but she is fluent in English - you will need at least a basic knowledge of both to find something in law ...

Hello All,

I was hoping to move to Germany maybe early next year. I am 26 and I am at present learning german so it is quite basic, I was also hoping to try and get somekind of training in germany eventually. I suspect it would be a question of at least six months of doing random jobs and improving my german. Though I would ideally like to end up being trained with a skill.

I hope those of you whom wrote in this thread who had recently moved to Hamburg have settled in and found work. I am scared with turning up, but I want to do it!

Can anyone update on finding a training position at an older age and having English as their first language??

Thanks for your time,

Wozuna

Hello all!

I'm British, living in Shanghai, soon to be moving to Hamburg.

My boyfriend's been offered a job there and so we're headed over early next year. I'm a freelance graphic designer and would really appreciate any advice anyone could give me on looking work over there - either freelance or with a company.

At the moment I don't speak any German ... is this going to be a huge problem?

I look forward to hearing!!

Cheers

Topics merged by admin

Hello,

I just joined this and it seems like there are a fair amount of people in situations much like my own. So, I am posting mostly for friendly advice, as to the best places to apply or search for jobs. I am a 21 year old female, from Canada, and I arrived in Hamburg about 2 weeks ago. I'm here for a year on those ever popular Work and Travel visas. I'm a second year student at the McGill University in Management and German, and so I'm here for a year to improve my German. I've studied it for 2 years at the University, so its at an intermediate level, however its definitely not fluent. Beyond basics, however.

I have a fair amount of experience, I was a lifeguard, swimming instructor, piano instructor, so mostly with kids. I've also been a secretary as well as working for the Government of Canada for 1 year. I'm really good with kids, but I already have a place here and therefore can't be a live-in au-pair. I'm a native English speaker and am fluent in French, however I have no teaching certificates to teach ESL. I've tried applying for some fairly customer service jobs, such as cafes, clothing stores, etc... However haven't had much luck.

So, to sum all this up, I was wondering if anyone had any tips for establishments, or types of jobs you can apply to when you're German isn't fluent. Or is it best just to post ads for private English lessons? Any advice would be great! Thanks!

Topics merged by admin

If you are so experienced with kids, try International School of Hamburg.

Go there, check the message board, get an idea what kind of posts there. Many parents are looking for childcare for summer hollidays. If there is no job ad there, post your own. The last school day is June 19, don't wait too long!

Good luck!

Leyli

Hi There was also a guy on this page asking for english native speakers for Berlitz school. They dont require a TEFL or any thing as they train you them selves. Good luck with the search.

Hi,

I am new to this web site and this is my first post. I am a 22 year old who has recently moved to Hamburg with my partner -for his job. I am now in the position where I am looking for temporary employment. Unfortunately I don't speak any German and will only be here until January. I am not looking for anything too special just something to get me out of the house as I am going out of my mind with boredom in the apartment!

I have recently received a psychology degree and have experience as a receptionist, cleaner, sales assistant and an administration assistant. I was wondering if anyone knew of anywhere that may be good to work (I have also read that there are places looking for English language teachers - I don't have TEFL qualification) or just somewhere that I could volunteer at. Wage is not a huge concern.

I have also worked in a bar but the fact that I don't speak German I imagine would not help me in my search.

I would be very appreciative of any suggestions anyone has

Thanks!

Carly

Take great care about working in language schools, there are a number of schools which give the others a bad name. Make sure you have an employed status, NOT self-employed/freelance. Check the job on offer and make sure you know that all payments are being made to the required authorities. There are a number of postings on this theme, on this website, and have a quick look here: http://www.howtogermany.com/pages/working.html

Good luck

Hi to All,

iam to hamburg just been here for 3 months from INDIA.Iam Married and moved down here as my husband works here.

Iam Basically a textile engineer and been merchandiser from past 3 years in INDIA,I have experience with international brands like ESPRIT,LEVIS Europe etc...

I am looking out for a job related to fashion industry with international brands here,,,,,

but i hear there is no scope for fashion industry here in north Germany...for all of that we have to move to South Germany.

I would be thank full if anyone could help me in getting a info abt fashion industry over here...

Or the consultancy agencies details through which i can get into a job over here...

Rgds

Manasa

Hello.. I am just new here in this forum. I am from Philippines ins Asia. I just registered today. I am planning to go to Germany(Humburg) and find a job. I am a call center agent (this is the booming industry here in the Philipines). As a call center agent, I worked as a Sales Rep for 3 months for Dell Computers, Technical support for Turbo Tax (taxation software used by Americans). Now i am working as a customer service representative for Sprint(cellphone company in USA) for almost almost 2 years now. With Sprint account we handle almost evrything. Billing questions, paymnt, technical support, sales and we handle all customer's issue on the their phones. I am open to any job. I can work as a chamber maid for hotels, saleslady and other possible jobs. I am flexible. By the way i am 25 years old. Currently i am starting to study things about Germany and will soon start to study German. I hope you could help me find a job and possible way of going to Germany. Thanks a lot.

but i hear there is no scope for fashion industry here in north Germany...for all of that we have to move to South Germany.

From what I hear the fashion industry (such as there is) is around Dusseldorf...

yes its correct what you hav said...

but i belive i can really get a job here tooo...

looking for contacts so that i can get it here...

any one who can help me to get in