Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Electricity problem

6 posts in this topic

Hello

We moved into an apartment in Berlin a week ago, and we have a problem with the electrics! In the consumer unit, the electricity ring which controls the lights, most plug sockets and the heat tripped and won't switch back on. At the moment we just have the oven and hob working, and a couple of sockets in the kitchen.

We called the emergency number for the Hausmeister on Saturday and, after a prolonged argument, agreed to come take a look. He said that an electrician will need to visit, and would be here on Monday.

I followed up to the Haus management company this morning, who have sent it to the landlord's rep (who we pay the rent to). In my email I asked when someone would be coming, as we were told they could come today, and it is cold without heat.

Is there a legal obligation for the landlord to send someone in x number of days? What happens if they don't respond?

Yeah I have checked that. Switched off all appliances. I spoke to an English electrician who suggests a wire has broken somewhere.

I'll check the Mietverein!

Have you heard back from your email to the landlord's rep? If not, call them and/or your landlord.

They can't expect you to hang around all day in case somebody shows up.

Don't just check the Mietverein, join it. You'll be glad you did.

They only speak German on the telephone, and my German is very limited. I have followed up again with an email, stating that I was advised on Saturday that someone would attend today, and still no reply.