Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

TAX Free shopping..

4 posts in this topic

Just a wild thought here... Brexit sucks, but mabe people can use it to their advantage...

I have dual nationality.

When I am in the UK ( being a german ) can I purchase goods tax free ?

When I am here in Germany ( being a brit ) can I purchase goods tax free ?

for example: Can I buy an iPad in Media Markt and get the VAT back ?

When I am back in the UK, can I pop down to PC World and buy an iPad and get the tax back ?

Anyone else had such thoughts ?

taxfree_6212d62b-d0d0-4e25-a54b-1c11e646123d_480x480.png

You can certainly try, but the penalties for customs fraud are nothing to sneeze at:

Bußgeldkatalog Zollhinterziehung

Verstoß Sanktion
leicht­fertige Steuer­ver­kürzung        Bußgeld von bis zu 50.000 Euro
Zoll­hinter­zieh­ung       Geld­strafe oder Freiheits­strafe von bis zu 5 Jahren
… in einem beson­ders schwe­ren Fall       Freiheits­strafe zwischen 6 Monaten und 10 Jahren

(source)

Have you ever gone through the tax refund process? I walked my dad through it once. You have to do it directly at the airport customs office, after check-in and prior to your departure. It's not like you just present your foreign passport at the POS and they give you an immediate tax refund.

It's possible that you could do so in one direction, for example, if you're resident in Germany and spend time in the UK, but it definitely won't work in both directions. Whether it's possible at all is probably a detail in the WA somewhere, but I can't be bothered to look it up.

It won't work from the UK to Germany.

The UK no longer offers VAT refunds for purchases in shops, likewise at UK airports.

You can still purchase these products VAT free but they will be posted to your home addresss. This will incur German VAT and import duties for German Residents 19%(VAT)  and Italian residents for example 22%(VAT)

By my calculations there's zero advantage.

Gotta warm this up again. Travel is now becoming more and more possible.

So has anyone used the tax free shopping system post-brexit ?

Some shops offer the immediate refund for swiss citizens, so it should be the same for brits...

Can I buy an Ipad at say Media Markt and get the VAT back ? ( and yes, it will be taken back to the UK !! )

It's not about TAX fraud. Its general interest, as family will be coming over soon and they want to know what the score is...